Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't think I would want a prospect from Islanders in a Boychuk deal. We already have a boatload of prospects up front. We already have Smith, Bahl, and Walsh vying for playing time the next couple years. We can't properly give another prospect a chance.

Best off getting picks and giving Fitzgerald more flexibility for trades that come up.

Hard to see NJ spending millions to buy a pick even a mid to low first rounder.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hard to see NJ spending millions to buy a pick even a mid to low first rounder.

Boychuk's cap hit is 6 million. The last two years of his deal have him with a signing bonus of 2.75 and actual salary of 1.25. That first bonus was already paid by the Islanders.

It really is only 5.25 million over the next two years. 12 million is a hard sell, but 5.25 is easier.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Boychuk's cap hit is 6 million. The last two years of his deal have him with a signing bonus of 2.75 and actual salary of 1.25. That first bonus was already paid by the Islanders.

It really is only 5.25 million over the next two years. 12 million is a hard sell, but 5.25 is easier.

He sounds like you are only acquiring him for the pick. Is he any better than a replacement player at this point? Presume that he takes up a prospect roster spot so you save about $1 mil per season. That’s about $3+ mil to buy a pick. I’m skeptical the team would do that.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I also believe he should be the one they trade just based on cost, return value and long term outlook for the player

Exactly. They also have a history of making forwards look much better than they really are by playing them in their top 6 with super star forwards. Once upon a time they got Ben Bishop by raising the value of one of these type forwards and then that forward tanked when he left their team. They also like to play the same system in the AHL as they do in the NHL so their forwards can come in and be ready to play.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Exactly. They also have a history of making forwards look much better than they really are by playing them in their top 6 with super star forwards. Once upon a time they got Ben Bishop by raising the value of one of these type forwards and then that forward tanked when he left their team. They also like to play the same system in the AHL as they do in the NHL so their forwards can come in and be ready to play.

Cirelli is not Cory Conacher. He also did not spend too much time with any of their 3 star forwards. It probably comes out to somewhere between 25-30%. Line Combinations - Frozen Tools. Cirelli also didn't play that much on the PP and is an amazing defensive forward. Cirelli is not just some decent guy who is getting propped up because he's on Tampa. Obviously it helps that he is on the Lightning but he is still a great player in his own right

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He sounds like you are only acquiring him for the pick. Is he any better than a replacement player at this point? Presume that he takes up a prospect roster spot so you save about $1 mil per season. That’s about $3+ mil to buy a pick. I’m skeptical the team would do that.

In terms of what is available, I think he's about even. Whoever you sign will also likely cost you the same in cap dollars.

Just for reference, here is the UFA market above replacement level guys like Mueller:

Andy Greene -- Could be of use on the third pair, but time to move on.
Sami Vatanen -- We need a different defender than him
Dmitry Kulikov -- Could certainly be a solid option
Travis Hamonic -- Solid option but has no interest playing in Eastern Conference it seems
Ron Hainsey -- Wouldn't hate a one year deal here, but don't see why he would
Zdeno Chara -- Likely Boston or retirement for him. Don't see why he would sign here
Ben Hutton -- Likely goes the way of Moore when he first signed here, but we need more proven, veteran options right now.

If its Kulikov vs. Boychuk + 2nd and possibly more. I would rather Boychuk.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What if Butcher is #1LD? I think he’ll come back determined this year

I don't care how determined he is, he ain't no #1D :laugh: If we are playing him on the top pair, we are looking at another lottery pick for sure, with very good odds.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Cirelli is not Cory Conacher. He also did not spend too much time with any of their 3 star forwards. It probably comes out to somewhere between 25-30%. Line Combinations - Frozen Tools. Cirelli also didn't play that much on the PP and is an amazing defensive forward. Cirelli is not just some decent guy who is getting propped up because he's on Tampa. Obviously it helps that he is on the Lightning but he is still a great player in his own right
Cirelli was TBL 3rd best GAR player, behind only Point and Hedman. His GAR was over 15 which is really good.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I wasn’t saying Cirelli is the next Conacher but more of that they could replace his production within easier at the forward position than losing a Cernack or Sergachev. I am a fan of Cirelli but I wouldnt come close to calling him great.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t subscribe and I could only read up to... “I picked up because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t the one going the other way” :laugh:

Poor Damon, he must read HF boards.

How many HF board members would rather have the 5th round pick?

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
LeBrun published an article a few minutes ago and had a little piece on Palms:

- devils haven't shopped him
- no meaningful talks of an extension
- lebrun thinks he wants to sign an extension
- says the gallagher deal could be of interest for both sides
- thinks IF they decide to trade him, they will likely wait till the trade deadline

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
LeBrun published an article a few minutes ago and had a little piece on Palms:

- devils haven't shopped him
- no meaningful talks of an extension
- lebrun thinks he wants to sign an extension
- says the gallagher deal could be of interest for both sides
- thinks IF they decide to trade him, they will likely wait till the trade deadline
Link?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
here is the Palms blurb:

What’s happening with Kyle Palmieri?

You haven’t heard Kyle Palmieri’s name out there in the offseason — and there’s a reason for that — it’s because the Devils haven’t shopped him.
At least not yet.
And while there’s been some communication between the Devils and Palmieri’s camp led by agent Brian Bartlett, there also have not been any meaningful contract talks yet either.
“Our talks have been very preliminary in nature. We’re happy to be patient to see what a fair deal is, it’s not contentious at all, we’ve got time,’’ Bartlett said Monday.
At some point, Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald will approach Bartlett and gauge what both sides feel might be a fair number as far as what an extension potentially looks like. But what you don’t know until that moment happens is whether both sides view that the same way in this pandemic market.
Palmieri, I think it’s fair to say, wants to sign an extension. He’s playing for his hometown team so this doesn’t feel like a player wanting to drive himself to market in a year.
But again, what’s a fair deal? He’s entering the final season of a five-year contract carrying a $4.65-million cap hit, a total bargain for a player who has scored 132 goals in 363 games the last five years, which on an 82-game average is 30 goals per season.
No doubt the recent Brendan Gallagher extension would have been of interest to both the Devils and to Palmieri.
If for whatever reason the Devils and Palmieri can’t find common ground on an extension, it obviously opens the door to a potential trade. But perhaps not as quickly as you think. It may be that Fitzgerald in that scenario sees more value in waiting until next season’s trade deadline to move him instead of trying to create a market this off-season.
Having said that, I do think the priority right now is to try and sign him if possible.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
not to get off-topic but just for future reference so I know- are we allowed to post content from places like the athletic that require a subscription to read?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I gotta be honest, I don't want to give him a 6 * $6.5 deal

and I still would like to re-sign him in general
Meh, if that's what it takes I don't think it's THAT big of a gamble. Ideally I'd do like 5 for 30 or something but if that 6th year is a sticking point I'd probably pull the trigger.
not to get off-topic but just for future reference so I know- are we allowed to post content from places like the athletic that require a subscription to read?
Yeah, it's been a thing, usually someone pastes what is written anyway.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't mind Palms at $6.5 mil at all. People will say it's a bit much, but it's honestly a small increase on his current cap hit that doesn't put a dent into our current situation at all.

I feel pretty good about our current cap situation to not be too worried about what an extra $1.85 mil against it will do going forward. And I don't think his game will age as poorly as others do. I'm more optimistic than most though, I realize.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
do not want to get rid of palms at all. you need vets in addition to kids and shopping a proven 30 goal scorer for a draft pick or prospect who may one day be good doesn't make any sense to me. His best asset - his shot - isn't going to fall off a cliff when he turns 32, and at that point our best prospects will probably be signed to long term deals and our middle prospects will probably be on bridge deals. I don't see this hurting our cap with everything that is coming off and Hischier already signed long term, so this seems like an issue of people just having a complete aversion to signing players into their 30's and i just don't agree with that philosophy. anyway, whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad