Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
That’s interesting. I wonder what percentage of players would clear waivers. On NJ I’d expect Zajac Butcher Subban Carrick probably Murray. League wide I’d be curious.

Agree with your list, not sure about Murray though.

Other than that, probably a lot of guys that are no longer waiver exempt e. g. Street, Gignac, Bastian, Tennyson, Jacobs, White, Wedgewood. I think that Nick Merkley could be claimed.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Is he worse than Butcher defensively?

Yeah. I'm also not as down on Butcher as some are. He was bad last year but the whole team was a dumpster fire. In the 2 years prior I thought he was fine. Not all that good or that bad. Risto has always been bad even relative to Sabres.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
yeah I'm going to disagree with that. That is kind of a silly statement.

I don't even like Butcher that much but this meme that he isn't even an NHLer is nonsense

I'm not saying that he is not NHLer. He's okay 3rd pair d-man but he makes 3.7M for 2 years. Noone would take that.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The time for acquiring Ristolainen passed once the Devils traded for Subban. I wouldn't have minded him as a reclamation project at that time, but we're running out of room for PP defenders with Severson, Subban, Butcher, and soon to be Smith.

Looking further into Boychuk, it looks like his game has fallen off a massive cliff. He was only playing ~15 minutes a night last year so effectively third pair with a 36.51% GF% and a 44.41 xGF%. I was hoping he was a bit of a case with a guy who is playing above his head (i.e. Greene playing first pairing minutes here), but it looks like they were lessening his role and he still wasn't particularly strong.

Maybe Boychuk can fill a role here at the right place (and at least a second to sweeten the deal). Pencil him in on the third pair next to Butcher and Smith and the first PK pairing in a Lovejoy type role.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm not even sure what the Islanders could realistically offer us to make me willing to take on that cap hit in its entirety, despite the lack of real dollars

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
How far off are these?

NJ: Boychuk+wahlstrom
NYI: future considerations

NJ: Killorn+Cernak
TB: 5th round pick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How far off are these?

In real life? Close but likely only as a last resort. On HF? An entire fan base rises to say terrible things about you and three generations of your family to deny the reality of the situation.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Who would move Zacha for Weegar?

I guess it depends. If you think Weegar would be a long term fixture on the team, maybe. If he is just there to fill a role until one of the kids comes up in a year or two, probably not.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I guess it depends. If you think Weegar would be a long term fixture on the team, maybe. If he is just there to fill a role until one of the kids comes up in a year or two, probably not.

What's long term? 4 years? Or does it have to be more

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Who would move Zacha for Weegar?

Im a Zacha supporter. Not even necessarily that he will be a late bloomer but that I think he will
Continue to get better and build his place on the team. If Weegar is the defensive defenseman that everyone says, then yes I would do it. These are the types of trades we need to make, taking from a position of strength to help fill a position of need.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's long term? 4 years? Or does it have to be more

I just don't know enough about Weegar to be honest. I'd trade Zacha for a good young defender, but good is a relative term and I don't know enough about Weegar to say I think he is good enough to trade Zacha for. I would not trade Zacha for a placeholder though.

Reactions: Forge

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zacha is a slightly better forward version of Risto. Risto is a bottom pair, PP guy who is bad at 5v5. Zacha is a bottom 6, PK guy who is bad at 5v5. Both taken top 10 and are touted because of their size and "tools" but aren't actually good

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
How far off are these?

I would want something better back for taking on 2 years of that anchor contract from NYI.

TB wouldn’t do that second deal at all. Killorn himself has positive value ala Schmidt in that at the least he brings back a mid round pick to dump his salary. I wouldn’t see why they would trade away one of their cost controlled defenders as well.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. if Tampa is forced into trading one of their RFAs its going to be Cirelli based on team need and their prospect pool that isn’t filled with NHL ready defenders.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
How far off are these?

I don't think I would want a prospect from Islanders in a Boychuk deal. We already have a boatload of prospects up front. We already have Smith, Bahl, and Walsh vying for playing time the next couple years. We can't properly give another prospect a chance.

Best off getting picks and giving Fitzgerald more flexibility for trades that come up.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. if Tampa is forced into trading one of their RFAs its going to be Cirelli based on team need and their prospect pool that isn’t filled with NHL ready defenders.

I also believe he should be the one they trade just based on cost, return value and long term outlook for the player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad