Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When you need someone that can play the top pair on the left side? Absolutely. He gets a bad rap but he's far better than everyone here gives him credit for. If he was on the Devils, he'd be thought of much, much differently. I mean, we blindly defend Miles Wood and Blake Coleman here so I think we can make room for Gardiner in that regard.

The assumption would be be you would fill another hole with said subsequent trade.

I can see the reasoning, but it's not the sort of thing we see happen too often.

And here would be the question, how much do the Devils like Butcher? Greene has his spot, we know the Devils like Smith, so do they view Butcher as a guy who they'd be willing to trade, without much leverage mind you, in order to squeeze in Gardiner?

I agree that the criticisms of Gardiner do seem to be over the top, however, the demand for him is obviously not that hot. So maybe the Devils are a team that does not value him all that much either.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Moving Vatanen as I see it should be done whether we acquire Gardiner or another LD or not. Even if we cant or dont go for another dman:

Butcher-Subban
Smith-Severson
Greene-Mueller

Is how id run it with what we got

Vatanen wont be signed and we arent a contender so losing him for nothing would be unreasonable

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Moving Vatanen as I see it should be done whether we acquire Gardiner or another LD or not. Even if we cant or dont go for another dman:

Butcher-Subban
Smith-Severson
Greene-Mueller

Vatanen wont be signed and we arent a contender so losing him for nothing would be unreasonable

If that is your reasoning you might as well trade Hall as well, because he isn’t signing an extension if you move out a key player for futures

Reactions: Darkauron

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think Butcher and pick(s) could get us a legit top 6 winger. Then sign Gardiner at a term of 3 years at an AAV around $6 Million.

I'd love to use Butcher (if he comes in around $3 Million) and picks to save Vegas some money and take Reilly Smith off their hands.

Just spitballing here, obviously.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Smith-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist/Zacha-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood-Zacha/Seney-Coleman

Gardiner-Subban
Smith-Vatanen
Greene-Severson

Schneider-Blackwood

That's a god damn playoff team, easily.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
If that is your reasoning you might as well trade Hall as well, because he isn’t signing an extension if you move out a key player for futures
Thats ridiculous on all accounts

And where did I say Vatanen has to be for futures? And what does that matter?

If Hall's reason to leave is moving Vatanen after acquiring Hughes Subban Simmonds then he can piss off lol, this team isn't Taylor Hall's team anymore and even if it was he doesn't run the show.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I think people are hung up on the idea of Vatanen playing his opposite side and I just don't see it - not on the top pair. Its already difficult enough let alone against top competition.

Much rather would sign Gardiner

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Maybe it's me but Ty Smith looked very sluggish to me. He lacks quickness and has a habit of turning the puck over. He did it more often in the offensive zone. Typical rookie mistakes? Not sure. I need to see more from him to have a more complete opinion. Boqvist looked good though. He seems physically grown enough to play in the NHL. Has very good read of the game and skates impressively well.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Hughes of course no surprise. Every time he was on the ice, the whole tempo of the game changed. He has such incredible IQ, turns scoring chances out of nothing plays. The goal he scored, 90% of players don't score that goal. They don't even attempt to shoot it from that angle. It's magical to watch. Like watching Mahomes make sick side arm throws. Hughes is the new Mahomes of hockey.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
OK I am going to say it, I don't think Hall is resigning here. Hopefully I am wrong. I am getting that Zach Parise vibe from him, again I hope I am wrong.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
More 5v5 primary assists then Nico Zajac Palms and Coleman. But sure let's keep the narrative going.
So, I went to IcyData and this is what I found...

Even strength primary assists

Bratt: 12
Severson: 12
Hall: 11
Hischier: 10
Palmieri: 10
Wood: 9
Coleman: 7
Zajac: 6
Butcher: 3
Zacha: 3

Can we just say we sucked even strength, period?

Reactions: My3Sons

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
OK I am going to say it, I don't think Hall is resigning here. Hopefully I am wrong. I am getting that Zach Parise vibe from him, again I hope I am wrong.
Really hope Ray doors the right thing and trades him for a nice return if he is unwilling to sign by season start.

I think the team is heading in the right direction and and we can’t deviate from the plan just to appease a star player. Chalk it up to bad luck on timing and move on.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
If Gardiner signs elsewhere for three or less years and the dollar amount isnt insane, and we plan on playing Vatanen on his off-side or playing Greene or Butcher there - id be pretty disappointed with Ray.

Theres no reason we cant throw good dough at Gardiner to temporarily patch a hole we have. His contract wouldnt be a worry and hes MOST CERTAINLY better than our current options for the top LD spot

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Our offense sucked, period, last year.

By pimping out Wood's 9 even strength primary assists, would be arguing over which ugly sister is the prettiest. Let's pull back the saddle here for a minute before we get carried away on how "real" his impact is.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
If Gardiner signs elsewhere for three or less years and the dollar amount isnt insane, and we plan on playing Vatanen on his off-side or playing Greene or Butcher there - id be pretty disappointed with Ray.

Theres no reason we cant throw good dough at Gardiner to temporarily patch a hole we have. His contract wouldnt be a worry and hes MOST CERTAINLY better than our current options for the top LD spot
3 years term, $6 million AAV doesn't hurt us nor does it hurt Gardiner. It makes too much sense. He's off the books before Hughes's extension and Zajac and Greene come off the books before Nico's and Bratt's extensions kick in. It's a zero risk scenario.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'll patiently wait for the "he's got to want to come here" people, yes....

but it makes sense on our end to offer it. Make him say no.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
3 years term, $6 million AAV doesn't hurt us nor does it hurt Gardiner. It makes too much sense. He's off the books before Hughes's extension and Zajac and Greene come off the books before Nico's and Bratt's extensions kick in. It's a zero risk scenario.
Id go up to 7mil, cause Simmonds at 5 doesnt help our case haha

Either way, 3 years 7mil is perfect for us and him

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Butcher-Subban
Smith-Severson
Greene-Mueller

Butcher in no way should be getting top pair minutes. He will look lost and get exposed on a regular basis.

Less is more with Butcher.

They can try that out but it won't be pretty.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Butcher in no way should be getting top pair minutes. He will look lost and get exposed on a regular basis.

Less is more with Butcher.

They can try that out but it won't be pretty.
I agree but i'd much rather Butcher there than Greene or Smith (unless by some grace of God he comes in McAvoy-esque)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad