Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why not longer?

Gardiner is starting to become severely underrated on HF

i agree that he’s getting underrated, i just see him as more of a stopgap. i’m also not a fan of giving one dimensional defenseman a long term contract. but for two years, absolutely

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
In addition to Gardiner’s style being redundant, his contract would presumable come at a premium.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I’d be ecstatic if we got gusev... I’ve liked him since he was drafted by Tampa

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
i agree that he’s getting underrated, i just see him as more of a stopgap. i’m also not a fan of giving one dimensional defenseman a long term contract. but for two years, absolutely
I just disagree that hes one-dimensional

Hes better defensively than Butcher and Severson

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I just disagree that hes one-dimensional

Hes better defensively than Butcher and Severson

i don’t really disagree with that, but is that the standard we want to use on a 6, 7 year deal for the guy? better defensively than butcher and severson?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I can't imagine Gardiner getting a contract that long at this point

if that was out there, he would've likely signed it by now

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I’d be ecstatic if we got gusev...

Me too, and I say that 100% being fully aware his bust quotient is high.

That's the thing I think a lot of people HFBoard-wide are underrating and/or not understanding, that just because you lit it up in the KHL doesnt mean you're going to do that in the NHL. But I think if it's true that he seeks a short-term deal (and I'm sure it is) and it's true he seeks $4M per year (and I'm not sure it is), that's precisely the roulette table sort of deal I'm all for. Especially since the Devils have cap to spare.

The final piece of the puzzle, however, is that Vegas cant be asking anything too crazy, like a 1st Round pick & a prospect, and it does worry me if it is true that so many teams have their hats in the Gusev pot, because that could drive the value too high.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I can't imagine Gardiner getting a contract that long at this point

if that was out there, he would've likely signed it by now
I'm not sure how reliable the rumors are, but it's been said no team has offered him more than 2 years. Maybe that's at the price he's looking for. I dunno.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm not sure how reliable the rumors are, but it's been said no team has offered him more than 2 years. Maybe that's at the price he's looking for. I dunno.

I heard that too and have to call BS on it. HTH is that even possible? I cant really think of a logical argument for why that would be the case.

Either you're a valuable piece that teams want to lock up (especially as an NHL defenseman), or you're a dime-a-dozen stopgap that folks only want to sign for a year or two. Is Gardner really in the latter group? Because that's not what I would have guessed.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
BTW, I think if we obtain another LHD, it's going to be someone completely off our radar, not just because he wasn't rumored to be available, but because he'll be a defensive minded blueliner, and people tend to not really think of them.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I heard that too and have to call BS on it. HTH is that even possible? I cant really think of a logical argument for why that would be the case.

Either you're a valuable piece that teams want to lock up (especially as an NHL defenseman), or you're a dime-a-dozen stopgap that folks only want to sign for a year or two. Is Gardner really in the latter group? Because that's not what I would have guessed.
The rumor is that people are afraid of his back problems. Again, my guess is that it's a combination of that and that he's asking so much per year that no-one wants to take the risk for an extended contract.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Me too, and I say that 100% being fully aware his bust quotient is high.

That's the thing I think a lot of people HFBoard-wide are underrating and/or not understanding, that just because you lit it up in the KHL doesnt mean you're going to do that in the NHL. But I think if it's true that he seeks a short-term deal (and I'm sure it is) and it's true he seeks $4M per year (and I'm not sure it is), that's precisely the roulette table sort of deal I'm all for. Especially since the Devils have cap to spare.

The final piece of the puzzle, however, is that Vegas cant be asking anything too crazy, like a 1st Round pick & a prospect, and it does worry me if it is true that so many teams have their hats in the Gusev pot, because that could drive the value too high.
Yeah it’s too interesting of an option to ignore imo and if he pans out we have a ridiculous amount of talent up front with a perfect bottom 6 to compliment them

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make any more moves on defense this summer. Subban, Severson, Vatanen, Greene, Butcher, Mueller, Smith, Carrick already gives us 8 defensemen. Even if we move one in an upgrade trade, it's still probably going to leave one of Mueller or Smith on the bench. Unless we can do something like trade Vatanen for a forward and Butcher+ for a defensive upgrade, but that seems unlikely.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I really don’t believe that Gusev is worth much... he is unproven. At least I don’t think Vegas values him that high or else they would want to keep him....

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
they DO want to keep him. They can't fit him under the cap.
No, but they COULD trade someone else. Supposedly they have the heir to Eakin ready for a shot, and Eakin only has a year left, so they could try to move him. Obviously it would be for much less, but if they believed in Gusev as much as everyone else seems to, I see no reason why they wouldn't.

Reactions: BenedictGomez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad