Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

GO PATTY!!!

There aren't any names there that stick out as players that need to be in the HOF. If some of them were to get in at some point, great, if not, it wouldn't make much of a difference. With that being said, while I don't think Patty will get in on the first shot, who knows, maybe the lack of bonafide shoe-ins on that list could make for a nice Patty surprise and continue the great few days the organization has had.

I want him to get in and taking the Devil fan lenses off, think he deserves to get in this soon, but being realistic with how things with the league tend to pan out...

Reactions: mdj12784

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
20-21 would have a crunch with Hischier/Hall/Bratt getting new contracts.
Vatanen will need to go and they'll likely have to gut their depth and go with Bastian/McCleod/Studenic/Zetterlund/etc. on ELC.

Its doable. They have the forward youth to cover the depth loss and they'll be able to get the first three mentioned on pre-tv/streaming deal contracts.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
There aren't any names there that stick out as players that need to be in the HOF. If some of them were to get in at some point, great, if not, it wouldn't make much of a difference. With that being said, while I don't think Patty will get in on the first shot, who knows, maybe the lack of bonafide shoe-ins on that list could make for a nice Patty surprise and continue the great few days the organization has had.

I want him to get in and taking the Devil fan lenses off, think he deserves to get in this soon, but being realistic with how things with the league tend to pan out...
I think Patty will get in eventually and see him as or more deserving than everyone on that list. But I don't believe this is the year for the sole reason that few - if anyone - views him as a 1st ballot HoF'er. And that seems to mean something to people.

Reactions: Wingman77

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
anyway if Panarin doesn't happen (hopefully he goes to Colorado if he doesn't sign with the Devils) -- I think Burakovsky is a nice low risk move. And he can play both wings

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Though I wouldn't be totally opposed to these players, fact is you stand much more of a risk taking on a contract that becomes immovable 3 years from now by signing a Dzingel, Zuccarello, Lee, or Nyquist, than just shelling out the additional year or two of term and $4-5M on an elite player like Panarin, especially if you have the flexibility.

I just don't see how that additional commitment would be so much in a different stratosphere compared to the other players that it would entirely dismantle what we're building, especially when you consider that it would make us an immediate contender while maintaining an ultra bright future.

Fact is, all free agents are somewhat of a gamble, but like I said, in all liklihood Panarin's contract would be far more moveable 3-4 years from now than the players I listed, if we absolutely needed to move it. And I don't see how this team wouldn't be competitive for the next 3-4 years until the kids are ready to handle the full load.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Can't see Panarin coming here at all, but the cost isn't a major deterrent for me. We don't have any egregiously bad long-term contracts and Schneider, Zajac, Greene & Subban will all be UFAs when Hughes' ELC ends.

Hischier probably gets 6-7m, Bratt like 4-5m at most. We definitely have plenty of cap flexibility going forward, but I still don't think we're on Panarin's radar.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Can't see Panarin coming here at all, but the cost isn't a major deterrent for me. We don't have any egregiously bad long-term contracts and Schneider, Zajac, Greene & Subban will all be UFAs when Hughes' ELC ends.

Hischier probably gets 6-7m, Bratt like 4-5m at most. We definitely have plenty of cap flexibility going forward, but I still don't think we're on Panarin's radar.
7mil is on the low end for Hischier, he probably breaks 8

If Hayes just got 7 and Nico is going to outproduce him this year while being far younger (since you pay for future producion too), Nico already gets 7 if he doesnt play this season

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
I don't like having Russian players on the Devils. My only favorite Russian who played for us was Brylin and (briefly) Nemchinov.
Once you sign Panarin to a big contract, he will have a good first year or two and then be a dissapearing act. Russian players generally lack discipline and toughness. I want our roster to be filled with NA players and Scandinavians.

What about Swiss?:naughty:

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
If Shero is to make another deal thats based on a team shedding cap space (no it doesnt mean a full cap dump, but the Hoffman-type deals) then expect it to be in the next 3-5 days

Teams need to know these answers on what their cap standing is more than 24hours before free agency. Unless theyre waiting on value in which case they often lose out.

Wouldnt be surprised if Shero makes a deal in the next day or two

Reactions: DevilWithin

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
7mil is on the low end for Hischier, he probably breaks 8

If Hayes just got 7 and Nico is going to outproduce him this year while being far younger (since you pay for future producion too), Nico already gets 7 if he doesnt play this season
Certainly not on a bridge deal. Comparing a UFA coming off a career year to a 21 ear old off an expiring ELC is apples to oranges. One dumb ass GM overpaying one guy doesn't change the market.

What has Nico done to be worth more than, say, Bo Horvat who is making 5.5M?

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Certainly not on a bridge deal. Comparing a UFA coming off a career year to a 21 ear old off an expiring ELC is apples to oranges. One dumb ass GM overpaying one guy doesn't change the market.

What has Nico done to be worth more than, say, Bo Horvat who is making 5.5M?
Well for starters, Nico out produced Horvats 19-20-21 year old seasons in his rookie year at 18, his 1st overall pedigree earns him an extra million up on any number, and he most likely breaks 65 this year if were healthy.

Not to mention Horvat signed in 2017...

Nico signs for no less than 8x$7, and thatd be a massive steal. If he scored 65 next year id pin him at 8x$8-8.5

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Well for starters, Nico out produced Horvats 19-20-21 year old seasons in his rookie year at 18, his 1st overall pedigree earns him an extra million up on any number, and he most likely breaks 65 this year if were healthy.

Not to mention Horvat signed in 2017...

Nico signs for no less than 8x$7, and thatd be a massive steal. If he scored 65 next year id pin him at 8x$8-8.5
Oh come on, this is insane. You clearly aren't living on the same planet as the rest of us.

Reactions: Darkauron

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

he is a great player but we got that guy already... this team will have the silky skilled players gonna need grit and grind to compliment the core of team panarin doesn't fit at the moment

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
pp1 for next

hall hischier palm
butcher/ subban

pp2

bratt hughes zacaj/bastian/zacha
severs/smith/vats

pretty good stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad