Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
This would be my ideal starting night lineup, which requires another threeor so moves

Hall-Hischier-xxxx
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Zacha-Zajac-Boqvist
Wood-McLeod-Coleman

xxxx-Subban
Butcher-Severson
Smith-Greene

Schneider
Blackwood

Move 1) acquire a top6 RW so Bratt can play his natural side

Move 2) trade Vatanen

Move 3) could be a part of move 2 but acquire a LD, doesnt need to be a true top pair guy but someone to hold for Smith for a few seasons

Id like a spot on the 4th for kids to get in. If Boqvist doesnt make it thats an easy slot to fill with Coleman, and if we cant acquire a LD im hesitant to put Butcher there.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Breadman is apparently meeting with the Rangers and Isles.

If that's the case then f*** that shit. Let's do this NBA style. Move Zajac's contract to clear cap and sign Panarin to a max deal.

Have Zacha play the 3rd line center spot going forward and run the division.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
we shouldn’t be trying to sign panarin, not that he would ever come here anyway
I don't get this. Devils will still have flexibility.

By the time Hughes' elc is up Subban's contract will be off the books. Bratt's future contract is probably going to be comparable to a guy like Kapanen or Johnsson. He's not going to get as much as some are predicting here unless he has a massive breakout. Hischier and Hall are the only really big contracts coming up and if Panarin signs here it gives Hall even more reason to sign this summer. Greene's and Vatanen's contract expires next year, Zajac and Palmieri (along with Cammalleri's buyout) the year after, and Schneider the year after. Devils will still have flexibility even with Panarin's contract and if you're going to be in a cap crunch at least the Devils will be contending which they would probably be able to do if Panarin comes here. Devils don't really have a bad contract aside from Schneider so it won't be hard to find some room even if they needed to.

I don't think he'll come here if Florida does give him what he'll ask but the Devils should be trying to sign him. Subban's, Hughes', and Smith's contracts end in 3 years so in those 3 years it'd be nicer to have a contending roster in each of those.

Last edited:

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Subban - $9M
Schneider - $6M
Zajac - $5.8M
Greene - $5M
Vatanen - $4.87M
Palmieri - $4.6M
Cammalleri Buyout - $1.66M
TOTAL: $36.93M

...All expiring contracts within the next 3 years.

Obviously, it doesn't mean we'll let all of these players go, but it means we have flexibility and wouldn't really face a Vegas or Toronto situation of having to deal assets just to unload contracts. And if you have to make some tough decisions on expiring contracts because you've assembled an elite core of players, that's where you hope you can fill in the gaps with your draft picks, let them develop, and that core of players can push the team along and bring out the best in your young kids.

Combine the above with still currently having about $26M in cap space, and ball-parking a 5-$7M cap increase over the next 2-3 years, and again, I think we have enough flexibility to still add another major contract if we wanted.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Unless Shero has an idea of how he can land one of Marner (not happening), Kapenen, or Meier (I still think no offer sheets are happening) then we STILL need a scoring winger.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Zacha-Hughes-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-??? (Agostino/Noesen/??)
Coleman-Seney-??? (Agostino/Noesen/??)

We don't know that Boqvist is going to show up and produce like an NHLer... we haven't seen enough from Bastian or McLeod to get me excited...

We need a top six winger. Like the post above me says, we can fit Panarin pretty easily once you consider what's coming off the books in the next few years.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get this. Devils will still have flexibility.

By the time Hughes' elc is up Subban's contract will be off the books. Bratt's future contract is probably going to be comparable to a guy like Kapanen or Johnsson. He's not going to get as much as some are predicting here unless he has a massive breakout. Hischier and Hall are the only really big contracts coming up and if Panarin signs here it gives Hall even more reason to sign this summer. Greene's and Vatanen's contract expires next year, Zajac and Palmieri (along with Cammalleri's buyout) the year after, and Schneider the year after. Devils will still have flexibility even with Panarin's contract and if you're going to be in a cap crunch at least the Devils will be contending which they would probably be able to do if Panarin comes here. Devils don't really have a bad contract aside from Schneider so it won't be hard to find some room even if they needed to.

I don't think he'll come here if Florida does give him what he'll ask but the Devils should be trying to sign him. Subban's, Hughes', and Smith's contracts end in 3 years so in those 3 years it'd be nicer to have a contending roster in each of those.
If Subban plays well why arent we re-signing him?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Subban - $9M
Schneider - $6M
Zajac - $5.8M
Greene - $5M
Vatanen - $4.87M
Palmieri - $4.6M
Cammalleri Buyout - $1.66M
TOTAL: $36.93M

...All expiring contracts within the next 3 years.

Obviously, it doesn't mean we'll let all of these players go, but it means we have flexibility and wouldn't really face a Vegas or Toronto situation of having to deal assets just to unload contracts. And if you have to make some tough decisions on expiring contracts because you've assembled an elite core of players, that's where you hope you can fill in the gaps with your draft picks, let them develop, and that core of players can push the team along and bring out the best in your young kids.

Combine the above with still currently having about $26M in cap space, and ball-parking a 5-$7M cap increase over the next 2-3 years, and again, I think we have enough flexibility to still add another major contract if we wanted.

They all have to be replaced or given new deals too, you're not just having minimum-salary guys fill in every void. That's the fallacy with people saying x number of dollars is coming off the cap, well yeah but what's going on it? Or you're just losing talent without replacing it.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
And honestly, as long as Panarin didn't fall off a cliff in terms of his play, you could still trade him 3-4 years from now if you really faced a major jam with RFA's, even if you only got back what Nashville got back for Subban. Same goes for other players. Could retain a million or 2 to make it easier to deal as well.

Point is, it would still set you up to compete for the next 2-3 years, and then continue to compete after that once we have to pay our RFA's.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
The concept some of you are missing is its not about ‘do we have the cap space to sign player X’ its about ‘do we have the cap space if this and this goes wrong or this prospect steps up and demands bank’

Having cap space doesnt mean we can spend it at that time, some needs to be allocated to mishaps and future cap stretching.

Signing someone like Panarin eliminates most of our wiggle room we have if things go the way we want them too. What if a top pair defenseman wants to sign here next year? Now we cant affors him because we spent another 10-11mil on a forward when we dont need one that high of a level or payday

Reactions: MartyOwns

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
They all have to be replaced or given new deals too, you're not just having minimum-salary guys fill in every void. That's the fallacy with people saying x number of dollars is coming off the cap, well yeah but what's going on it? Or you're just losing talent without replacing it.

Of course. Like I said, we likely wouldn't let them all go. By the same token, even if we re-signed Subban in 3 years, he's 33 years old. Is he still getting $9M a year? Not saying for sure either way. It'll depend on how he plays the next 3 years, but he likely won't get that much. And then isn't this part of the reason we're drafting the abundance of draft picks we are right now? So that these guys are one day ready to take the place of the likes of Zajac, Greene, etc.?

But the point is you have flexibility. The worst case scenario is being against the cap and stuck with contracts. As long as you flexibility you can maneuver, if you need to.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

And it also ignores the raises Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Butcher, and Smith will all be getting between then and now. Cory will be gone, but Blackwood will need a raise as well.

Tying up $22 million in two wingers isn’t going to work.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Some of those guys will be replaced by prospects, some re-signed -- it's a problem every team will have. The real issues are when you have to spend assets in getting rid of guys and the Devils would not have to do that. They will have all the flexibility to do that. There will be a new CBA by that time too. What's more important at this point is trying to compete in Hughes' and Smith's ELC years and also during Hall's pre age 30 years, along with the years the Devils have Subban signed.

And it also ignores the raises Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Butcher, and Smith will all be getting between then and now. Cory will be gone, but Blackwood will need a raise as well.

Tying up $22 million in two wingers isn’t going to work.
Hall and Panarin are play driving/game-breaking wings -- they make more impact than most centers in the league.

The money will be available for the RFA's to be re-signed they are not all getting long-term deals right off the bat.

I'd be pretty surprised if Panarin signed here but I would never say no to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs4L

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Besides the cap, I dont see a need for Panarin. Just seems like extra cap out the window when our needs are elsewhere. With Hall and two 1st overall centers, we can afford to have a 2nd line winger on the 1st and allocate that cap dpace elsewhere (like a high end defenseman to pair with PK or when PK is gone). Maybe Blackwood or Smith become an absolute monster and command a lot of dough.

Id rather save now and get a 2nd line forward

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
I don't like having Russian players on the Devils. My only favorite Russian who played for us was Brylin and (briefly) Nemchinov.
Once you sign Panarin to a big contract, he will have a good first year or two and then be a dissapearing act. Russian players generally lack discipline and toughness. I want our roster to be filled with NA players and Scandinavians.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Of course. Like I said, we likely wouldn't let them all go. By the same token, even if we re-signed Subban in 3 years, he's 33 years old. Is he still getting $9M a year? Not saying for sure either way. It'll depend on how he plays the next 3 years, but he likely won't get that much. And then isn't this part of the reason we're drafting the abundance of draft picks we are right now? So that these guys are one day ready to take the place of the likes of Zajac, Greene, etc.?

But the point is you have flexibility. The worst case scenario is being against the cap and stuck with contracts. As long as you flexibility you can maneuver, if you need to.

Well I can see the philosophy of sign/develop good players now and worry about the logjam later. Panarin would fit into that category, you at least wouldn't be tying up your cap with mediocre players. The Leafs' problem with trying that is they have absolutely zero cheap talent on their roster, other than the big three (Mathews, Marner, Nylander) at the top of their tank years, their recent drafts have been underwhelming to be charitable. And they're basically squeezing Marner to fit in a mercenary (JT) which is a PR disaster.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't like having Russian players on the Devils. My only favorite Russian who played for us was Brylin and (briefly) Nemchinov.
Once you sign Panarin to a big contract, he will have a good first year or two and then be a dissapearing act. Russian players generally lack discipline and toughness. I want our roster to be filled with NA players and Scandinavians.
This is a ridiculous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad