Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
This plan is absurd. You can't have the entire off-season in a month and quite frankly the product for the rest of this season would be terrible. If they want to award the cup, just cut to top 4 based on points percentage in each conference and play a couple rounds. May not be fair but now is no time for the sports fans obsession with "fairness" in an unfair world. Don't bastardize and jeopardize two seasons for the sake of one.

Good on the NHLPA to float this out there when they know it won't happen. That way they can blame it on the league later.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
1. The old schedule is out the window. Refund every purchased ticket.
2. One week training camp stating June 22nd.
2. Create a new schedule so that every team gets to 72 GP. If my math is correct this should be a total of 34 games required with every team requiring 1-4 games, which could easily be done in week. Prioritize within conference play but do whatever you need to do to get there. July 1st-July 8th.
3. 1st round is a 3 game series. July 9th-July 16th. Draft lottery done during this week.
4. 2nd and 3rd rounds are 5 game series. July 17th-August 7th.
5. SCF is a 7 round series. August 8th-August 22nd.
6. Draft August 31st-Sept 1st. Free agency Sept 5th.
7. 2020-2021 Training camp begins Sept 20th. 2021 goes on as scheduled, just delayed a few weeks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why are they ADDING teams to the playoffs? If the season is severely shortened, wouldn't it make more sense REDUCE the playoff teams? Like go to 0nly 8 teams, or go to 5 game series?

The simple answer is as a compromise to avoid screwing the bubble teams (especially ones with fewer games played) that wouldn’t make a 16-team playoffs or get to have a playoff chase.

Reactions: devilsblood

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
It should be the 16 teams in the playoffs right now (by point percentage I guess). Some teams only have 10 games left in the season — by season end the playoff teams are not going to so different than it is now. 24 team playoff is kinda crazy but I understand they wanna get back lost revenue but that’s the only reason not to go by current point percentage imo.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Never.
Undo trades? Ask break out players in their last year of ELC or bridge contract to play another season under the old conditions? Ask teams to keep broken players, who would come off their cap, for another season? What about retained money on contracts? What about the impact of buyouts on the cap?
I can't see this as a feasible option. No one would agree to this.

you wouldn’t undo trades the players are on their teams now stay. It’s just an idea to float out there. If the season was 75% played and no championship awarded then the season should be void. If void it should revert back to what it was at the start of the year. Tricky situation all around. Like I also said it would be a brave move to make

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019

Tie is such a baby.

lol calls him a phony ignored how Stevens dropped the gloves with a guy like Probert, a guy that thoroughly beat the piss out of domi and is considered by many to be the toughest enforcers if not the toughest of all time.

domis a pud

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

would you be happy with this lottery result? I’d take it and run but I have a feelings others will differ.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

would you be happy with this lottery result? I’d take it and run but I have a feelings others will differ.

I mean if we win the lottery this year and Arizona moves into the top 3 I'd be ok with it. They're not going to be very good next year IMO especially once Hall leaves. That would us with three guaranteed firsts next year and they very easily could all be top 20.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was bored enough to try to complete a blog post about the 1995 Draft that I started during the 2012 lockout. Eventually got around to the Sykora pick and how Radek Bonk's rookie season apparently caused some teams to be worried about Sykora's eventual NHL transition.

As I was looking up Bonk's old numbers, I couldn't help but wonder if that might be a similar career path that Pavel Zacha might take. Bonk was solid defensively but didn't break out offensively until he was 23/24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad