Devils 2019-20 team discussion (news and notes) - part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBS93

Jan 21, 2019
Glad I entertained you lol. I’ll play the trade game with you. What’s your best offer lol

Palmieri and his wife run a charitable foundation for military members and Veterans. Their annual ball is this Saturday, so I doubt he would be moved before that regardless.

As far as what it would take to trade him, the Devils aren't in a move him or lose him situation. Looking at the Coleman and Toffoli deals, it would have to be a #1 and a Top 50 prospect. Studnicka is Boston's only Top 50 prospect. A #1 and Studnicka would probably be the minimum to even get Fitzgerald's attention.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Would you throw in one of those shiny first round picks?

What are your needs over there? BTW, my wife is from Point Pleasant. So be nice lol

No need to. The Devils don’t have a cap problem. They’d either move Subban and retain salary to get some type of quality return or just keep him. They don’t need to dump him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Would you throw in one of those shiny first round picks?

What are your needs over there? BTW, my wife is from Point Pleasant. So be nice lol
source.gif

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Go over on the bruins board I gave an answer lol it’s all good lol
Ya, I realize it's just a wish list.

I'm just trying to be logical and/or realistic, basing what I said on the returns that have gone down. It certainly seems like it's a seller's market right now.

Reactions: BAD BOY

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
If Bratt can consistently play at the level he has been lately, I have no problem keeping him in the top-6 long term possibly @glenwo2

But we shall see in the remainder of this season and next

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If Bratt can consistently play at the level he has been lately, I have no problem keeping him in the top-6 long term possibly @glenwo2

But we shall see in the remainder of this season and next
Incoming :thumbu::naughty::nod::handclap::highclap::5::hyper::jump::spud::teach2: reply

But definitely, he has to keep this level of play up. His invisible streaks are his only knock. I don’t need points every night but I want him to be involved and generate chances for himself and his linemates on a routine basis.

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Palmieri and his wife run a charitable foundation for military members and Veterans. Their annual ball is this Saturday, so I doubt he would be moved before that regardless.

As far as what it would take to trade him, the Devils aren't in a move him or lose him situation. Looking at the Coleman and Toffoli deals, it would have to be a #1 and a Top 50 prospect. Studnicka is Boston's only Top 50 prospect. A #1 and Studnicka would probably be the minimum to even get Fitzgerald's attention.

I wouldn't do it.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Trading him to Boston is a no go for me. Their first rounder will very likely be a glorified second rounder, and I am extremely skeptical of any forward prospect that has not cracked an NHL lineup 3 years after being drafted, and whose numbers are about as good Joey Anderson’s.

If it has to happen, I would trade him to Colorado for their first and either Timmons or Newhook, and I would stand pat there. Especially if we land Timmons, that makes it easier to trade Severson to Carolina for whatever turns out to be the better of their firsts.

XBS93

Jan 21, 2019
If Bruins fans don’t feel comfortable doing a 1st and one of their best prospects for Palms, then they are better off bugging Ranger fans to lower Kreider’s pride.

we don’t have to trade Palms so there is no reason to accept less.

They believe they can nab possibly two of Palmieri/Kreider/Labanc. They also think a #1, Backes and Heinen is fair for Palmieri and Wood.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Incoming :thumbu::naughty::nod::handclap::highclap::5::hyper::jump::spud::teach2: reply

But definitely, he has to keep this level of play up. His invisible streaks are his only knock. I don’t need points every night but I want him to be involved and generate chances for himself and his linemates on a routine basis.

I wonder when it's someone else's turn to sit for inconsistent play. Oh I forgot, only Bratt is inconsistent. Every one else brings it every night.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Trading him to Boston is a no go for me. Their first rounder will very likely be a glorified second rounder, and I am extremely skeptical of any forward prospect that has not cracked an NHL lineup 3 years after being drafted, and whose numbers are about as good Joey Anderson’s.

If it has to happen, I would trade him to Colorado for their first and either Timmons or Newhook, and I would stand pat there. Especially if we land Timmons, that makes it easier to trade Severson to Carolina for whatever turns out to be the better of their firsts.

Don't count out EDM. The oilers and Avs would be my two favorite landing spots. Rumor was that Holland was willing to part with their first for Coleman, so I have to imagine that Palms @ 50% retained (to get close to Coleman's salary next year) has to have similar value. I don't know how it works financially, but if possible, they'd be up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taylors lost step

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
A 1st and a teams best prospect is not good enough for Palmieri

The only return acceptable is if a young roster player is coming back, along with a top prospect or 1st and whatever else is necessary if cap dumps and/or retention is involved

Whether its realistic or not for a contending team to move a roster player doesnt matter. thats the price when he is near perfect for this team besides not being a little younger, and we have no need to trade him.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Id like to follow that up with also mentioning this - we cannot be simply acquiring only picks and early prospects and not at least flip some of them for proven or proving(such as a Bratt-type) talents.

A box made up entirely of futures is far too unpredictable. You need some known commodities

Reactions: NJDevs26

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
A 1st and a teams best prospect is not good enough for Palmieri

The only return acceptable is if a young roster player is coming back, along with a top prospect or 1st and whatever else is necessary if cap dumps and/or retention is involved

Whether its realistic or not for a contending team to move a roster player doesnt matter. thats the price when he is near perfect for this team besides not being a little younger, and we have no need to trade him.

Yeah, I don't need him on the team enough to pass on a top prospect + first round pick. If that's what I'm getting, I'm very happy with that

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Palmieri's value comes from the ROI we get by dealing him. He doesn't fit the timeline, period. I have no interest in giving him a 5 year deal that starts in his age 31 season. It makes zero sense. I don't care about the immediate need for goal scoring. This year and next year are solely about developing our youth. Palms doesn't fit the future of this team and that much is glaringly obvious. I get that he's a fan favorite but put your feelings aside and see this for what it is. He's 31 at the start of his next deal, that'll likely be in the $7+ million range. We'd be doing him a disservice by keeping him around.

What happens if he wants to explore UFA after next year? We wait and move him for significantly less? Yeah, no thanks. Take advantage of this market and don't half ass this rebuild.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Yeah, I don't need him on the team enough to pass on a top prospect + first round pick. If that's what I'm getting, I'm very happy with that
And the odds that package ever becomes a 30+ goal scorer annually who could be hitting 40 with a consistently stronger line than Palmieri has had?

Palmieri isnt even 30 yet. Do you know how many players haven’t won a Cup until they were in their mid-30s?

Alex Ovechkin didnt win until he was 32. The greatest scorer ever didnt win until he was 32.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
And the odds that package ever becomes a 30+ goal scorer annually who could be hitting 40 with a consistently stronger line than Palmieri has had?
Considering not even Palms is a 30+ goal scorer, I don't see the point. He's scored 30 exactly one time.

FFS he's played with Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier. How much stronger of a friggin' line does he need?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Is there some rule I dont know about involving players over an age threshold being forced into trade?

Unless people are claiming it will be five years minimum until we compete for a Cup I dont understand the need to move Palmieri.

We are bottom-5 in goals arent we? But sure lets trade our only even 25+ goal scorer whos a whopping 29...

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Palmieri isnt even 30 yet. Do you know how many players haven’t won a Cup until they were in their mid-30s?

Alex Ovechkin didnt win until he was 32. The greatest scorer ever didnt win until he was 32.

And I have no desire to sign him to a long term contract after the age of thirty. He's not a special enough player for me to do that. So I'll cash out my value now on him, especially if it's that high.

Sure, they may not turn into palms. They could turn into Scott Niedermeyer. Who knows. But given we suck with him as it is, and I don't have a desire to resign him when he's up, I don't really need him here

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Considering not even Palms is a 30+ goal scorer, I don't see the point. He's scored 30 exactly one time.

FFS he's played with Taylor Hall and Nico Hischier. How much stronger of a friggin' line does he need? Quit being disingenuous with this nonsense.
Weve been a bottom of the barrel team

But sure lets just ignore that because of one successful year of Hall/Hischier, that it cant possibly be Palmieri is a great goal scorer

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
I dont know. Perhaps Im forcing my fear of eradicating a team of all strong veterans onto keeping Palmieri. Yes his age isnt great, I get it.

But damn it we will be bottom-3 again at this rate if we move Palmieri and acquire no roster player, oh and Vatanen if he even can be

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Weve been a bottom of the barrel team

But sure lets just ignore that because of one successful year of Hall/Hischier, that it cant possibly be Palmieri is a great goal scorer
Doesn't mean he didn't play with really good players on his line. He's scored 30 one friggin' time but he's supposedly a 30+ goal scorer routinely lol.

If he was a UFA with no ties to this team, going into his age 31 season, nobody would be clamoring to give him money. Just because he's on the team, you don't change the approach. Bad contracts are bad, even if they are given to your own players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad