Devils 2019-20 Preseason is here! Team discussion, news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Speaking of our goalies, go compare Carter Hart’s numbers to Mackenzie Blackwood’s. I find it interesting that all the talk around the league is that the Flyers future in goal is set and Hart is a surefire star, but the Devils on the other hand have major goaltending issues. Now, it’s totally possible that will be the case, but Blackwood and Hart’s numbers are identical. I’m not sure why everyone outside of the Devils organization is so dismissive of Blackwood.

I think Hart being younger is one reason.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I find it hilarious that some wouldn’t be happy if we got Laine by only sending Severson the other way!

Laine is a star player at 21 years of age. Severson, who is 25, is a very solid 2nd pairing dman.

At the end of the day, I’d trade 3 quarters for a dollar any day of the week.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I find it hilarious that some wouldn’t be happy if we got Laine by only sending Severson the other way!

Laine is a star player at 21 years of age. Severson, who is 25, is a very solid 2nd pairing dman.

At the end of the day, I’d trade 3 quarters for a dollar any day of the week.

Because people don’t want to pull a Toronto and tie all our cap up in 4 players.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Because people don’t want to pull a Toronto and tie all our cap up in 4 players.

except laine will probably be 7.5 maximum, and toronto’s highest cap hits are 11M+. the teams are structured completely differently.

you own a porsche and a ford taurus. kevin cheveldayoff shows up and offers to swap your ford taurus for an audi q7 straight up. the monthly payments and insurance are a bit higher. you say ‘nah, no thanks. the wife is really jonesing for a new dishwasher.’ oof

if someone is offering you something of more value for something of much, much less value, you make the deal and figure out the other stuff later.

also, if you had to guess, how many 50 goal seasons would laine put up next to hughes over the next 5 years? at least 1, maybe 3?

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
except laine will probably be 7.5 maximum, and toronto’s highest cap hits are 11M+. the teams are structured completely differently.

you own a porsche and a ford taurus. kevin cheveldayoff shows up and offers to swap your ford taurus for an audi q7 straight up. the monthly payments and insurance are a bit higher. you say ‘nah, no thanks. the wife is really jonesing for a new dishwasher.’ oof

if someone is offering you something of more value for something of much, much less value, you make the deal and figure out the other stuff later.

also, if you had to guess, how many 50 goal seasons would laine put up next to hughes over the next 5 years? at least 1, maybe 3?

If the number was set at 3 of the 5 years I would take the over. That combination wouldn’t be matched in the league with playmaking to sniper.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Me entering the last thread late and reading the last few pages.

giphy.gif

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I'm so giddy for the season to start. Maybe I'm an optimist here but our forward group is really ****ing good, the defense is pretty good and I think PK will thrive as being the guy here, and I'm more confident in our goalies than most. Last season there was pretty much one line I was excited to see hop over the boards, and Zacha of course but I'm just a proud father. This year I think I'd be excited for all four lines.
Agree. It is nice having some good young players that we can watch develop and hopefully outperform our expectations. Looking forward to this season more than any in years.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Sooo early likely means nothing but appears that the coaching staff is looking at...

Hall Nico Palmieri
Gusev Hughes Simmonds
Boqvist Zajac Bratt
Wood Zacha Coleman

No Zacha isn’t at practice today so my guess is Hayden will be in his place. But those seems to be the lines they are starting with. That’s a pretty good 4th line lol.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Speaking of our goalies, go compare Carter Hart’s numbers to Mackenzie Blackwood’s. I find it interesting that all the talk around the league is that the Flyers future in goal is set and Hart is a surefire star, but the Devils on the other hand have major goaltending issues. Now, it’s totally possible that will be the case, but Blackwood and Hart’s numbers are identical. I’m not sure why everyone outside of the Devils organization is so dismissive of Blackwood.

Instead of writing out this post again, I'll just link to the old one:

Devils 2019-20 offseason team discussion (news and notes)

Hart has had a much better career than Blackwood, that's why people think that Hart is a surefire star. And I'm not sure that he is, but I do think he's going to be at least an average NHL starter.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sooo early likely means nothing but appears that the coaching staff is looking at...

Hall Nico Palmieri
Gusev Hughes Simmonds
Boqvist Zajac Bratt
Wood Zacha Coleman

No Zacha isn’t at practice today so my guess is Hayden will be in his place. But those seems to be the lines they are starting with. That’s a pretty good 4th line lol.
Those are pretty nice lines. I might switch around Palmieri and Bratt but they look solid. Great depth. It’s nice to have guys like Anderson, Bastian, and McLeod knocking on the door too.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yup that’s exactly the point i was making, good job as always

I mean thats exactly what you said, so. If thats not what you meant, maybe you should have described it better?

Why not just keep our young/good DMan since we are basically good on the wing instead of trading one for a guy who needs a big pay day AND THEN trying to make another trade (which may or may not exist) to replace said DMan.

which scenario is more realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad