Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
do i think he could score 30 every season? no, but you put him in front of the net on the pp and eventually lining up with more offensive linemates and why not

Reactions: devilsblood

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
if clarkson could score 30 goals wood could score 30 honestly

I would caution against using that completely fluke season from Clarkson as any sort of point to base an argument on.

I think if everything falls perfectly 20 goals is a good ceiling for Wood.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Bold prediction: Wood has great chemistry with Zacha and possibly Bratt/Palmieri and scores 30 next season.

Wood-Zacha-Palmieri looked great for the few games they were together. If I'm not mistaken, they were split up soon after only because Bratt started to hit his wall and we went on a losing skid so they bumped Palmieri up to the top line from there.

AgentBrodeur

Jul 19, 2016
new jersey
Not sure we have the same definition of 'gooning it up' but for me- stepping over the line of legality with questionable hits and spears causing injuries qualifies. Realize that we had beaten them repeatedly during the regular season (albeit with ridiculous luck) when they were playing a passive game...because we COULD skate with them.
...but nothing says that the same luck couldn't continue. So they initiated physical and borderline dirty play.

What they did was the exact thing the Rangers did to us in 1994 before how we learned how to play that game, and what they did to us in 1997 when Messier cross-checked Gilmour.

Tampa walked the line (in fact stepped over the line) of legality and didn't get called on it, and we had no answer.

In 1994 we should've been in the Cup finals except for the parade to the penalty box in retaliation penalties. In 1997 we had no real answer in part because we lost instigators like Claude Lemieux.

You're kidding yourself if you think Tampa won that series on superior skill. They just didn't have their A game going else it would've been more lopsided --- and they intimidated us, provoked us, and we had neither the personnel nor the power-play to take advantage of when the refs actually DID call a penalty. That was the difference.
i really hope Santini will give us something a team would worry about on the ice. He is an above average good clean hitter, which disrupts the flow of head down skaters. I wish Boyle would participate, but does not. Yes this is now a small defensmans league. if its not Reaves, Hedman, Wilson, Myers, they are still required IMO

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Hallsy keeping the hands fresh.

giphy.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was pretty down on Wood just a year ago, thought he'd for sure need some AHL time before permanently making it in the NHL.

He improved astronomically and assuming last year wasn't the fluke or aberration, I think he can actually score 30 goals, although probably not perennially. He produced a very good amount for the minutes he played and only like 3 of his points came on the power play. His shooting percentage was a little high, but not Adam Henrique high. He also was able to generate shots on goal at a pretty good clip, especially for those little minutes he played.

I think he could potentially wind up being better than Adam Henrique and that's not the first time that I've said this.

Clarkson never had the skill that Wood does.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Wood was at 2.01 ES points/60 this year

that was good for 78th in the NHL among forwards, and better then players such as:

Sidney Crosby
Jeff Skinner
Tyler Seguin
James Neal
Kevin Fiala
Patrick Laine
Mitch Marner
RNH
Anders Lee

to name a few

Reactions: My3Sons

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we haven't really seen a development path like wood's before so it's hard for anyone to estimate what his ceiling is at this point. he made a huge leap last year and it's not crazy to say that he has a lot more development left in him

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I was pretty down on Wood just a year ago, thought he'd for sure need some AHL time before permanently making it in the NHL.

He improved astronomically and assuming last year wasn't the fluke or aberration, I think he can actually score 30 goals, although probably not perennially. He produced a very good amount for the minutes he played and only like 3 of his points came on the power play. His shooting percentage was a little high, but not Adam Henrique high. He also was able to generate shots on goal at a pretty good clip, especially for those little minutes he played.

I think he could potentially wind up being better than Adam Henrique and that's not the first time that I've said this.

Clarkson never had the skill that Wood does.
I seriously disagree with this. What Wood does well he does really well like chasing down loose pucks, winning footraces, and battling in front of the net. But he's still pretty raw in a lot of aspects. Despite being really fast, I don't think he's a very balanced skater, he's not really a puck protection guy either since he doesn't handle the puck often, and I also don't think he has a ton of offensive vision. With the things he needs a lot of work on, he is really far behind, probably too far behind to ever be "good." Henrique IMO is way more skilled.

I've always liked the Clarkson comparison actually. Clarkson was a good middle six to bottom six guy and that was his ceiling. I feel like that will be Wood's niche too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I seriously disagree with this. What Wood does well he does really well like chasing down loose pucks, winning footraces, and battling in front of the net. But he's still pretty raw in a lot of aspects. Despite being really fast, I don't think he's a very balanced skater, he's not really a puck protection guy either since he doesn't handle the puck often, and I also don't think he has a ton of offensive vision. With the things he needs a lot of work on, he is really far behind, probably too far behind to ever be "good." Henrique IMO is way more skilled.

I've always liked the Clarkson comparison actually. Clarkson was a good middle six to bottom six guy and that was his ceiling. I feel like that will be Wood's niche too.
Henrique isn't even a perennial 50 point guy, so why can't Wood be a 50 point guy? That's better than Henrique.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Imo Woods doesnt have any hands at all. He gets into great scoring chances and cant finish. Dno if thats something you can teach/learn.

He scored 19 goals, he’s got some kind of finish. :laugh:

I think it’s more him slowing the game down a bit. Much like Luis Mendoza, harness that speed that is such a great weapon. He has so many tools and so much potential, he really is a wild card in terms of what he can become.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Henrique isn't even a perennial 50 point guy, so why can't Wood be a 50 point guy? That's better than Henrique.
In my opinion...

It's because Wood isn't a puck handler, he's a dog with out a leash. The goals he scores have more to do with him battling for position and then the puck getting to him. He will always rely on someone else to get the puck for him and because I doubt that he has the skill to beat a guy off the cycle and then make a play or carry the puck in the neutral zone weaving in and out of defenders and find an open man (at least not consistently). He found a niche on the team because he can win foot races and also battle in front of the net really well, but that's more hard work than "skill." Plus, in his two years in the league, Wood hasn't shown a ton of playmaking ability. Wood might be a goalscorer, but I have some doubts that he'll ever be a 20-25 assist type of guy

Henrique wasn't tremendously skilled for a second line center, but he was better with the puck on his stick than Wood is. He also had a sneaky release.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

The Wood Clarkson comparison is fine as long as you include that Wood is also one of the fastest guys in the league. So it's Clarkson with insane speed.

I also think Wood, given his limited hockey background has more room for growth then Clarkson did at a similar age. And we did see a pretty significant jump from year one to year 2 for Wood. So I am optimistically thinking we will see similar jumps in upcoming years.

I think 30 goals and 25 assists is a fairly reasonable upside. Going out on a limb would proclaim higher upside potential.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think many misunstand the toughness/physical thing terribly...ever watch Malkin? That guy has a real nasty streak, I don't think anyone would mistake him for a goon. But, when he can take advantage of another player he absolutely will. And that is an advantage. Those things are often meaningless in the regular season but in the playoffs where every single inch is contested the physical aspect becomes much more apparent and meaningful... And you are going to have to see the same guy over and over for a 7 game series...it is not like it's off to another city the next day...

When you know you can do whatever you want to the guy lined up across from you and there is nothing they can or will do about it that's an incredible advantage in a series.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And as much as we say Clarkson was a flash in the pan and a completely terrible signing by Toronto, we have to acknowledge that he had a medical condition that completely detoured his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad