Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Interesting that the coaches specifically said they want 2 guys from development camp to make the main squad.
Indeed. The question is, if he said we have 2 openings up front, does that mean we go with 8 D? If we go with 7 D, we should have 3 openings up front. Who fills the 3rd? A PTO? A trade? Another prospect?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm sure it was a major factor in the downward trajectory of his play. Butterfly goalies especially, if they are dealing with a nagging injury, they'll attempt to adjust their style to mitigate the severity of the injury but potentially cause more pressure on another part of the body. Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if one injury ultimately led to another for him.

If he gets back to 100% health, I can see him getting back to his normal mentality. I still have plenty of faith in Cory.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think that there are two players on the team that basically are going to be the difference in whether this team makes the playoffs next year: Zacha and Bratt. These two need to become legit top 6 producers otherwise the Devils will probably fall short of the playoffs again. I don't think we expect Hall to get 90+ again, but if those two can both put up 40-50 points then the Devils will probably make it.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think that there are two players on the team that basically are going to be the difference in whether this team makes the playoffs next year: Zacha and Bratt. These two need to become legit top 6 producers otherwise the Devils will probably fall short of the playoffs again. I don't think we expect Hall to get 90+ again, but if those two can both put up 40-50 points then the Devils will probably make it.

Defense and goaltending will be large factors

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
For those with a subscription, the Athletic had a bit of fun trying to predict the Devils lineup in 4 years:

In the Year 2021: Projecting the Devils' lineup for the...

The rules were no free agents or trades, so obviously it's not realistic, but just for some fun. They also figure that none of the future draft picks will be ready by then unless something goes terribly wrong with our rebuild.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
For those that can't see the whole thing they went...

Hall/Hischier/Palmieri
Wood/Boqvist/Bratt
Coleman/Zacha/Zetterlund
Quenneville/McLeod/Anderson
---
Seney/Rooney

Smith/Vatanen
Butcher/Severson
Davies/Walsh
---
Santini

Schneider
Blackwood
---
Senn

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
McLeod is apparently really good on faceoffs and solid defensively, so I'd be surprised if he wasn't a center long-term. I see him as at least Boyle's replacement on the 4th line by the start of the 2019 season.

yeah, i would agree with that. in fact, just for fun i’ll go out on a limb and say mcleod finishes the 20-21 season with more points than zacha. the fact that he was able to adapt so quickly to a really different role tells me more about his projections than the stats do

Reactions: Nubmer6

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
and where will he be?
Not sure maybe (hopefully) packaged for a dman or an actual 2C. He needs to show something this year, his first 2 have been very underwhelming.

If he can develop into a 50 point two way guy at this point that would be great. The potential we thought he had when we drafted him is out the window, he’s not going to be an offensive guy. Poor mans holik.

Same type of scenario with McLeod IMO but I’ll wait until he actually plays in the nhl

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not sure maybe (hopefully) packaged for a dman or an actual 2C. He needs to show something this year, his first 2 have been very underwhelming.

If he can develop into a 50 point two way guy at this point that would be great. The potential we thought he had when we drafted him is out the window, he’s not going to be an offensive guy. Poor mans holik.

Same type of scenario with McLeod IMO but I’ll wait until he actually plays in the nhl

good to know, I now know to stop hoping he can develop then. Thank you for letting me know.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
a couple players that Zacha outscored per 60 minutes at even strength this past season:

Ryan O'Reilly
Tomas Hertl
Kyle Okposo
Wayne Simmonds
Jonathan Drouin
Jesse Puljujarvi

also keep in mind he was an elite PKer in 17-18 as well

but yea, he "needs to show something"

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
a couple players that Zacha outscored per 60 minutes at even strength this past season:

Ryan O'Reilly
Tomas Hertl
Kyle Okposo
Wayne Simmonds
Jonathan Drouin
Jesse Puljujarvi

also keep in mind he was an elite PKer in 17-18 as well

but yea, he "needs to show something"

Out of that list, who would you decline to acquire in a deal for PZ?

Reactions: zharkenby

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
You get so offended every time someone says something negative about him. It’s sad. No need to be a dick, just stating that he hasn’t shown much. Saying he can be a 50 point two way guy would be developing for him.... would it not?

Unless in your fantasy land he did that last year. Maybe read before making statements

You said his potential we thought we'd get with him is already out the window. He's played 2 seasons (and 1 game) and just turned 21.

That's quite the statement in itself.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Quoting myself from the Zacha thread, it bears repeating:

It's more that people now want instant gratification out of players and don't allow for them to develop.

Take a guy like Ryan Johansen. He didn't put it together until his 3rd full year in the league. Zacha actually had a higher PPG last year than Johansen did in either of his first 2 years. Johansen went 4th overall in his draft year, Zacha 6th.

Nino Niederreiter had a 1 point season in 55 games and looked like he was going to bust in Long Island. Once he gets put in a more prominent role, albeit having been traded, he becomes a .53 PPG player.

Not every player flies out of the gate, some need seasoning. Zacha has shown progress, this year is going to be very interesting as his role starts to grow even further.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You said his potential we thought we'd get with him is already out the window. He's played 2 seasons (and 1 game) and just turned 21.

That's quite the statement in itself.
He has literally shown next to nothing offensively. We drafted him thinking he could be a potential first liner. That is no longer realistic

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He has literally shown next to nothing offensively. We drafted him thinking he could be a potential first liner. That is no longer realistic

Read the post above, there are examples of players who have flourished beyond their first two seasons. Zacha outproduced both those players in his first 2 seasons (or in Niederreiter's case, until the Islanders gave up on him, wink wink).

Also, what has Puljujarvi done with less PPG production that you'd take him in a heartbeat over Zacha? A winger over a center, no less?

All I'm saying is the lack of patience by some with Zacha is unfair. Sure, it's entirely possible that you're right in the end and he never becomes a strong point producer. However it is still too soon to make proclamations of what is realistic and unrealistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad