Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So any chances to see McLeod? A bit disappointed by his numbers last season with Mississauga.

Center seems set now with Hischier/Zajac/Zacha/Boyle for this season. I suppose they could try McLeod at wing, but seems more likely they just let him develop at center in the AHL and be Zajac's eventual replacement. But I'd probably guess that McLeod would be the sporadic injury call up for this season. Coleman could slide over to center if necessary as well.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
So dailyfaceoff is projecting something like that is it accurate?

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Coleman-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson

Green-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy

Pretty much, I mean the players are the same I'd have on the roster but I'd swap a few guys up and down that lineup.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zacha-Bratt
Wood-Zajac-Anderson
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

A few guys will be battling with Anderson for that spot. While I think Joey will eventually take it, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see McLeod, Speers, Seney, or JQ in that spot.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I still wouldnt be against using McLeod as a piece in a package.

If it's for a legit top pairing LHD, I'd probably do it. If not I'd rather see what he looks like in a system that would seem to fit him very well. Also, the thought of McLeod and Wood flying up the ice together makes me think dirty things.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm surprised Derek Grant hasn't signed anywhere yet. Big guy (6-3, 215), solid defensively, great face off performer 53.1% last year, 53% total in 152 games career games. Put up 12g and 24 points in 66 games with Anaheim last year playing 11 minutes per night. He's somewhat older and his shooting % is high at 18.5%, but that is still solid production for a bottom 6 C.

Not saying I want the Devils to sign him, but he could definitely be an asset to a team. He could probably flourish if given a better opportunity with more playing time. He posted 1.966 P/60 in his first full NHL season

He just signed with Pittsburgh for 650K.

The shooting percentage would have been a red flag (as a 4th liner) for me. It's hard for skilled guys to replicate high shooting percentages which makes me that much more skeptical about bottom six guys.

Looking at a handful of guys from 2015-16 to 2016-17:

Zack Smith: 25 goals (20.7%) to 16 goals (11.2%)
Anthony Duclair: 20 goals (19%) to 5 goals (6.6%)
Joe Colborne: 19 goals (19%) to 4 goals (8.3%)
Jannik Hansen: 22 goals (18.8%) to 8 goals (7.3%)
Cal Clutterbuck: 18 goals (18.8%) to 5 goals (4.3%)

Tough to argue with the price that Pittsburgh paid, but I think most teams either had internal options for their 13th/14th forward spots and/or didn't want to bring in Grant knowing he'd have difficulty replicating last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
"New Jersey Devils: D+
In: None
Out: Patrick Maroon, Micheal Grabner, Brian Gibbons, John Moore, Jimmy Hayes
Net Value Added: -2.3 wins

Last year’s Cinderella story did a whole lot of nothing and while that’s probably for the best considering the players the Devils let go and what they’re making now, it doesn’t inspire confidence that New Jersey can repeat the magic next season. This team still has a lot of significant holes and did nothing to address them while other teams ahead and around them got stronger."

I'd argue the Devils do not have a lot of significant holes at all. They have one issue, and it is significant no doubt, but beyond that I think they have very complete roster.

They have two issues. 1LD and 2C. I guess top 6 RW, but that is a stretch.

1LD can’t be addressed internally this year, and honestly it is unrealistic to expect it to be addressed via trade right now either. The prices are going to make it not worth it.

2C basically depends on Zacha (or McLeod coming in really hot). If Zacha keeps improving it isn’t a hole any longer.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yes, they have a complete roster in terms of warm bodies... but we need a top 4 LHD/upgrade over Greene and more top six scoring. We have guys that will play those position but are they the best at those positions?

In the majority of roster spots it is the best. There is zero reason to add another LW. Adding a RW squeezes a talented kid out.

Unless your are adding some kind of no brainer player, we shouldn’t really be adding any regular at forward.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
If we're going to argue semantics then I'm not going to continue this discussion. But you argued that JvR plays a soft game, I'm arguing that he doesn't.

He does play a soft game. He is easy to knock off is game. Look at what Moore and Mueller did to him in the game against the Leafs when we clinched a playoff spot. Look at how he plays in the playoffs when teams ramp it up physically.

He is not a powerfard foward at all. A net front presence doesn't make you that. A power foward uses their size to hit, to fight for pucks along the boards, to puck protect, and in front of the net. JVR does only one of those, which players half his size also due.

Look at Gallagher and Marchand. They play like they are JVR's size. Compare JVR's game to players like Neely, Clark, Getzlaf, Gillies, Iginla, LeClair, Lindros, Lucic, Messier, Primeau, Shanahan, Kevin Stevens, Tkachuk, Tocchet, Simmonds, Kreider, Wood, Maroon, Backes etc, he is not a power foward and he defintely plays soft when compared to the standard set by other power fowards, including his contemporaries.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He does play a soft game. He is easy to knock off is game. Look at what Moore and Mueller did to him in the game against the Leafs when we clinched a playoff spot. Look at how he plays in the playoffs when teams ramp it up physically.

He is not a powerfard foward at all. A net front presence doesn't make you that. A power foward uses their size to hit, to fight for pucks along the boards, to puck protect, and in front of the net. JVR does only one of those, which players half his size also due.

Look at Gallagher and Marchand. They play like they are JVR's size. Compare JVR's game to players like Neely, Clark, Getzlaf, Gillies, Iginla, LeClair, Lindros, Lucic, Messier, Primeau, Shanahan, Kevin Stevens, Tkachuk, Tocchet, Simmonds, Kreider, Wood, Maroon, Backes etc, he is not a power foward and he defintely plays soft when compared to the standard set by other power fowards, including his contemporaries.

You left Howe off your list.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Only RFAs left are Wood, Santini and Rooney.

Are we above the cap floor? It looks like we are barely so I assume Wood will get us over comfortably.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Lappin is probably a Group VI UFA after this coming season. He'd need to play in 31 NHL games to continue to be an RFA.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That Urbom thread (think it was in the then-current team discussion thread) was great. That was so much fun to read. It still is so much fun to read when I have the time. I’d love for something to happen that recreates the entertainment value in that thread. Nick Lappin leaving through UFA could be just that.

Or even Scott Wedgewood collecting an NHL shutout against someone next year, or even Scott Wedgewood leading the AHL in sace percentage.

Reactions: Dialamo and Blender

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Wait until Lappin gets scooped up by some bottom feeder and scores a goal against us at the Pru Center. We'll crash the server
I'm surprised we didn't crash the server when we announced Lappin was re-signed. They seem rather fragile.

Reactions: Dialamo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They have two issues. 1LD and 2C. I guess top 6 RW, but that is a stretch.

1LD can’t be addressed internally this year, and honestly it is unrealistic to expect it to be addressed via trade right now either. The prices are going to make it not worth it.

2C basically depends on Zacha (or McLeod coming in really hot). If Zacha keeps improving it isn’t a hole any longer.
I think both #2 center and top 6 RW are more question marks then a hole. Cause I have Zacha and Bratt/Palms penned into those respective spots.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad