Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I'd like them to bring in someone like Benoit Pouliot as Urbom protection. If McLeod, Quenneville, Bratt, Anderson, etc. slack off and cannot beat out a low skill NHL veteran then they don't deserve to be on the NHL roster.

A roster opening should not guarantee a roster spot to a prospect.

Reactions: Rgani1488

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Hall regression talk has always been silly to me. Yeah it could happen, but he is a superstar that appears to be laser focused now. I think he can easily replicate his year. I doubt he wins the Hart again, but he can repeat his numbers.

Same for Nico. Yeah he could have a sophomore slump, and honestly it isn’t the end of the world if he does. That said he is an amazing talent, so it is also very likely he maintains his rookie levels or surpasses them.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Hall regression talk has always been silly to me. Yeah it could happen, but he is a superstar that appears to be laser focused now. I think he can easily replicate his year. I doubt he wins the Hart again, but he can repeat his numbers.

Same for Nico. Yeah he could have a sophomore slump, and honestly it isn’t the end of the world if he does. That said he is an amazing talent, so it is also very likely he maintains his rookie levels or surpasses them.

I would expect some Hall regression but I think some of that will be hidden by Nico’s growth.

Hall shot way over his career shooting percentage but I do think some of that improvement came from the PP structure playing to his strength. So I would expect Hall to lose some shooting percentage from last year but still be above career average.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I think the offens stepping up is more likely than the defense

if were expecting bounce back years, steps forward for kids, and requiring guys be healthy to make the playoffs then I think that says all we need to know about needing a guy or two added

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017

yea I look at someone of Nico's character, his passion, attention to detail, and work ethic makes me feel he's not really a candidate for a sophomore slump. Just doesn't seem like the kid who would automatically take things for granted and think he's arrived

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
We really are not thin on D. We have 7 NHL players and an other in the Russian we signed.

We need an upgrade for the top pairing, but that can’t be addressed in free agency.

I forgot about Yak when I typed that so he is who I’d assume is our first call up. After that it gets dicey. My point though was saying that I don’t want us to sign stop gaps. Mueller and Santini will be due new contracts and need to play and I think Santini needs to clear waivers so he can’t be sent down.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Hall is also 2 years away from the biggest payday of his life. I think he’s going to have 2 huge years coming up.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I'm surprised Derek Grant hasn't signed anywhere yet. Big guy (6-3, 215), solid defensively, great face off performer 53.1% last year, 53% total in 152 games career games. Put up 12g and 24 points in 66 games with Anaheim last year playing 11 minutes per night. He's somewhat older and his shooting % is high at 18.5%, but that is still solid production for a bottom 6 C.

Not saying I want the Devils to sign him, but he could definitely be an asset to a team. He could probably flourish if given a better opportunity with more playing time. He posted 1.966 P/60 in his first full NHL season

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He's not a power forward, he's a skilled player who happens to be tall. I expect a power forward to be strong on the puck and use his size to create space, JVR doesn't play that way.
Playing in front of the net means you have to create your own space. How else would you be able to fight off a defense man in front? You can't hack a guy to death anymore, but that doesn't mean the defense gives up on boxing you out. How do you think a player like him does that? By stickhandling?

Again, just because he doesn't fit your expectations does not mean its not true.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Playing in front of the net means you have to create your own space. How else would you be able to fight off a defense man in front? You can't hack a guy to death anymore, but that doesn't mean the defense gives up on boxing you out. How do you think a player like him does that? By stickhandling?

Again, just because he doesn't fit your expectations does not mean its not true.
So Zacha Parise is a power forward? Daniel Briere? Being able to score goals near the net doesn't make someone a power forward.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
power forwards and grinders are different nowadays

Power forwards hit far less but still use their frame to their advantage (Radulov is a perfect example of a modern day power forward, hes mastered using his reach and frame to push in towards the net/lane. Grinders no longer have a half enforcer type model but are now guys who excel along the boards and around the net. Crosby is the games best grinder ever IMO, our best grinder would be Zajac (hes got amazing hands around the boards, better than Maroon had I think)

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
So dailyfaceoff is projecting something like that is it accurate?

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Coleman-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson

Green-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
"New Jersey Devils: D+
In: None
Out: Patrick Maroon, Micheal Grabner, Brian Gibbons, John Moore, Jimmy Hayes
Net Value Added: -2.3 wins

Last year’s Cinderella story did a whole lot of nothing and while that’s probably for the best considering the players the Devils let go and what they’re making now, it doesn’t inspire confidence that New Jersey can repeat the magic next season. This team still has a lot of significant holes and did nothing to address them while other teams ahead and around them got stronger."

I'd argue the Devils do not have a lot of significant holes at all. They have one issue, and it is significant no doubt, but beyond that I think they have very complete roster.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Coleman-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson

Green-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy
Those fwd's are exactly how I would draw them up. Oops, edit: Swap Zajac and Zacha. Coleman Zajac Noesen was excellent last year, a true lock down line that chipped in a bunch of gritty goals. Fingers crossed that Zacha can take that next step offensively and produce as a 2nd line center should.

d-men? Maybe switch Green for Butcher? Not have a traditional top pair, but instead a 1a and 1b. Santini in over Lovejoy as possible as well, with Lovejoy as the 7th.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
"New Jersey Devils: D+
In: None
Out: Patrick Maroon, Micheal Grabner, Brian Gibbons, John Moore, Jimmy Hayes
Net Value Added: -2.3 wins

Last year’s Cinderella story did a whole lot of nothing and while that’s probably for the best considering the players the Devils let go and what they’re making now, it doesn’t inspire confidence that New Jersey can repeat the magic next season. This team still has a lot of significant holes and did nothing to address them while other teams ahead and around them got stronger."

I'd argue the Devils do not have a lot of significant holes at all. They have one issue, and it is significant no doubt, but beyond that I think they have very complete roster.

Yes, they have a complete roster in terms of warm bodies... but we need a top 4 LHD/upgrade over Greene and more top six scoring. We have guys that will play those position but are they the best at those positions?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zajac-Palmieri
Coleman-Zacha-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson

Green-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy

That's in the ballpark. I wouldn't be surprised if we added a top 6 RW at some point. Bratt could play anywhere in the top three lines and I wouldn't be too surprised. I think they'll give Anderson a long look in camp, but a year in the AHL probably wouldn't hurt. Butcher wasn't used much with Severson last year. Coaching staff seemed to have Butcher with Lovejoy, but we'll see how they use Mueller.

If I were guessing (assuming no additions):

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Anderson
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

Greene-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy/Santini

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yes, they have a complete roster in terms of warm bodies... but we need a top 4 LHD/upgrade over Greene and more top six scoring. We have guys that will play those position but are they the best at those positions?
As I said one major hole, that is top pair lhd.

Top 6 scoring wing? That would have to be a righty, and in doing so you are squeezing Bratt the other 3 top 6 wing spots are taken. I'd just as soon cross my fingers and hope Bratt can put in a full season.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
That's in the ballpark. I wouldn't be surprised if we added a top 6 RW at some point. Bratt could play anywhere in the top three lines and I wouldn't be too surprised. I think they'll give Anderson a long look in camp, but a year in the AHL probably wouldn't hurt. Butcher wasn't used much with Severson last year. Coaching staff seemed to have Butcher with Lovejoy, but we'll see how they use Mueller.

If I were guessing (assuming no additions):

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Johansson-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Anderson
Coleman-Boyle-Noesen

Greene-Vatanen
Mueller-Severson
Butcher-Lovejoy/Santini
So any chances to see McLeod? A bit disappointed by his numbers last season with Mississauga.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If ownership wasn’t so cheap, we could probably add Milan Lucic and pay him. Might be able to get some assets or a good player from Edmonton, but they probably don’t wanna pay another person either on top of Lucic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad