Devils 2018-19 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Id like to hear what season folks think this team should be continually contending by. Will it be when Hall is 28? 30? 32? Same with Vatanen. Oh and our aging goaltender is down for a retool for another few seasons.

Just because we have Hischier and other younger than 26 assets doesnt mean we dont have to be competitive by the season after this one.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd be more than happy to use our first round pick to get Karlsson if that was on the table (could even have argued it for O'Reilly), but how many other deals are really out there where it'll be worth using the first-rounder? You don't use the first-rounder to trade for a marginal upgrade or a position we don't need.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I'd be more than happy to use our first round pick to get Karlsson if that was on the table (could even have argued it for O'Reilly), but how many other deals are really out there where it'll be worth using the first-rounder? You don't use the first-rounder to trade for a marginal upgrade or a position we don't need.
Id use our 1st+ to get a #2/3 LHD as that is our biggest need and one I dont think we can pass Christmas without.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Id like to hear what season folks think this team should be continually contending by. Will it be when Hall is 28? 30? 32? Same with Vatanen. Oh and our aging goaltender is down for a retool for another few seasons.

Just because we have Hischier and other younger than 26 assers doesnt mean we dont have to be competitive by the season after this one.

As I've mentioned, a lot of you guys are very impatient because this team has never been through a full rebuild before. We also have not developed players properly at the NHL level for the better part of a decade (outside of basically Henrique) so many of you don't know what that looks like, either.

Shero has a plan and he is sticking to it. Sorry if you (and some others here) don't like that. Just because we showed some success last year doesn't mean we should all of the sudden throw the plan out the window and just try to fast track things. That never works.

Last edited:

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
As I've mentioned, a lot of you guys are very impatient because this team has never been through a full rebuild before. We also have not developed players properly at the NHL level for the better part of a decade (outside of basically Henrique).

Shero has a plan and he is sticking to it. Sorry if you (and some others here) don't like that. Just because we showed some success last year doesn't mean we should all of the sudden throw the plan out the window and just try to fast track things. That never works.
no, I think im sorry for you since you dont seem to understand using our three most important players primes is pretty crucial.

If you think Shero wont have this team a contender by the end of Hall's current contract, then I think you are out to lunch. This coming season will be the last where we question if we are a playoff team or not for quite some time (unless this goaltender situation goes way south)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Id use our 1st+ to get a #2/3 LHD as that is our biggest need and one I dont think we can pass Christmas without.

A #2/3 D is not our biggest need. Greene and Butcher are both arguably #2LD's...we need a pure #1 LHD long-term.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
A #2/3 D is not our biggest need. Greene and Butcher are arguably #2D's...we need a pure #1 D.
I disagree.

you dont need a #1D to win a cup... plus we cant afford one lmao. A defensively strong and good skating LHD to pair with Vatanen is perfectly acceptable as a top pair. Vatanen is our 1D who eats 25+mins a night while playig both ends well. If our LHD with him can play 22+ solid minutes, we are fine.

Obviously id prefer a #1D but thats pretty damn unrealistic to obtain considering we arent in a position to move major roster pieces.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
no, I think im sorry for you since you dont seem to understand using our three most important players primes is pretty crucial.

If you think Shero wont have this team a contender by the end of Hall's current contract, then I think you are out to lunch. This coming season will be the last where we question if we are a playoff team or not for quite some time (unless this goaltender situation goes way south)

Hall's contract is for 2 more freaking years...you guys are acting like he is a UFA next week.

you have been impatient all offseason because there hasnt been a move made yet. You need to RELAX. Let Shero carry out his plan. Stop trying to rush things.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Hall's contract is for 2 more freaking years...you guys are acting like he is a UFA next week.

you have been impatient all offseason because there hasnt been a move made yet. You need to RELAX. Let Shero carry out his plan. Stop trying to rush things.
I never once have acted like that. Every one of my posts has said the next two years are for making solid roster acquisitions and fine tuning the kids. Again, after two years Hall will be turning 30...

And quit telling me what I have been; why do you feel the need to insert a snarky comment towards the person in almost everyone one of your posts?

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Just because we have Hischier and other younger than 26 assets doesnt mean we dont have to be competitive by the season after this one.

I had projected this upcoming season as the playoffs year when Shero got hired. Its the 4th year he'll be GM. The young Defensemen should be taking up important roles now and the assets picked up when he was hired should be making contributions now. They jump started it a year earlier with Hall having an MVP season and lottery winning pick filling in an important role.

Overall Schneider has played below expectations, Zacha and McCleod haven't stepped up yet, and the projected defense group of Larsson/Severson/Merrill/Santini has been a disappointment. Its been mixed results but Shero has made the most of what he was given by supplementing the team with quality NHLers through trade.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I had projected this upcoming season as the playoffs year when Shero got hired. Its the 4th year he'll be GM. The young Defensemen should be taking up important roles now and the assets picked up when he was hired should be making contributions now. They jump started it a year earlier with Hall having an MVP season and lottery winning pick filling in an important role.

Overall Schneider has played below expectations, Zacha and McCleod haven't stepped up yet, and the projected defense group of Larsson/Severson/Merrill/Santini has been a disappointment. Its been mixed results but Shero has made the most of what he was given by supplementing the team with quality NHLers through trade.
Ill admit Im very nervous how Schneider will do this season. If he turns out to be a shell of his former self because of this hip issue - we may not be contending for anythin anytime soon. Unless Kinkaid turned out to be the savior.

But heres to hoping Schneider just needed a year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I never once have acted like that. Every one of my posts has said the next two years are for making solid roster acquisitions and fine tuning the kids. Again, after two years Hall will be turning 30...

And quit telling me what I have been; why do you feel the need to insert a snarky comment towards the person in almost everyone one of your posts?

Taylor Hall is 26 years old man, he isn't turning 30 in 2 years

Reactions: jorge martinez

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Ill admit Im very nervous how Schneider will do this season. If he turns out to be a shell of his former self because of this hip issue - we may not be contending for anythin anytime soon. Unless Kinkaid turned out to be the savior.

But heres to hoping Schneider just needed a year.

We should be fine when compared to the quality of goaltending floating around the league nowadays. He'll just be performing below the top 5 expectation we had for him and cannot rely on him to carry a terrible team. The skaters will need to provide support. We have the talent to keep the team in the playoffs with Cory playing as an average goaltender though.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
The Caps just won the Cup with a 32 year old Ovechkin as their franchise player. We still have time and a players prime doesn't end at 30.
Washington has been contenders for years - they didnt just become contenders when Ovechkin was 32

My point is we need to be contendig before Hall turns 30 otherwise Shero didnt exactly keep up his end of the bargain with Hall. And our goaltender isnt getting any younger (if he can even stay healthy)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Washington has been contenders for years - they didnt just become contenders when Ovechkin was 32

My point is we need to be contendig before Hall turns 30 otherwise Shero didnt exactly keep up his end of the bargain with Hall. And our goaltender isnt getting any younger (if he can even stay healthy)
There is no one path to being a contender, and that wasn't the point. Hall doesn't need to be 28 to win a Cup, so it would be a huge mistake to trade assets just because Hall is a certain age. Sher is committed to making the right long term moves, and if that means parting with 1st round pick, he will. He's unlikely to unload quality picks and prospects in some halfass deal where we east a bunch of shit for Tampa Bay or Ottawa though for a marginal upgrade to the roster.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The worst thing a team can do after it has unexpected success is think that the magic was in that particular group of players and try to bring them all back. Moore was a placeholder D who was young and had some upside 3 years ago when they signed him - he ate up some minutes during that time and never really progressed in a significant way, and now he's justifiably gone. Gibbons had an incredible first half but was totally ineffective when he returned from injury - he's gone. I didn't really expect Grabner, Stafford, or Hayes to return - I guess Stafford still could, and obviously Maroon is still available.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
There is no one path to being a contender, and that wasn't the point. Hall doesn't need to be 28 to win a Cup, so it would be a huge mistake to trade assets just because Hall is a certain age. Sher is committed to making the right long term moves, and if that means parting with 1st round pick, he will. He's unlikely to unload quality picks and prospects in some halfass deal where we east a bunch of **** for Tampa Bay or Ottawa though for a marginal upgrade to the roster.
Right, I forgot the only way we can upgrade the team is through 'halfassed deals' for 'marginal upgrades'.

Shero is committed to putting a winning team around Hall and Hischier. Not wait until Hall's contract is up to start trying to win a playoff round.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Right, I forgot the only way we can upgrade the team is through 'halfassed deals' for 'marginal upgrades'.

Shero is committed to putting a winning team around Hall and Hischier. Not wait until Hall's contract is up to start trying to win a playoff round.
This entire discussion started around poorly thought out trade proposals which were posted here, which were halfassed for marginal upgrades.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
This entire discussion started around poorly thought out trade proposals which were posted here, which were halfassed for marginal upgrades.
Well the Karlsson trade aside, we need to obtain a top pair LHD and our 1st should be used in a deal for one since its unlikely we could grab that calibur guy without using it.

We can wait to see how the kids do in camp to acquire a forward. Could get one earlier it never hurts to have more scoring.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How does Nico's rookie season compare to our best rookies in team history?

Not just points, but overall play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad