Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I still remember a set of power rankings heading into the 2006-07 season which had us at #21 simply because we basically returned the same division winning roster from the year before without any additions (aka our big moves were retaining Elias/Langenbrunner).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A lot of rankings have the Devils in the 23-26 range that I've read.

I can certainly see why people would think that. The Devils were a neutral goal differential and negative shot differential team last year who relied tremendously on a career year by one player. They didn't add anyone of substance in the offseason. If they have the same possession and goal performance again they likely won't make the playoffs.

The upshot is that we have a lot of younger players with room to grow. Hischier obviously needs to take a step this year, but so do Zacha and Butcher. If all three of those guys get better this year I think the playoffs are within reach.
I'm surprised that a lot of the ''Devils will be bad'' predictions don't talk enough about goaltending. Schneider has now had 2 consecutive poor seasons and just had hip surgery. So he may already be toast and reduced to 2010-2012 era Brodeur and Keith Kinkaid is just Keith Kinkaid.

Camille the Eel

The goaltending is one of two big unknowns. The other is whether Mueller and Santini, and Severson can grow to be higher level players. Will we be able to handle pressure better this year.

Heavy teams and clubs that pressured the puck on us very aggressively gave us the most trouble last year. Those 3 defensemen are going to be key in whether we do a better job against it this year.

We pretty much know what we will get from our forward group and it’s going to be very good indeed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If the team can stay healthy and compete with some emotion and belief in themselves they will win a number of games against teams with bad locker rooms or lack of dedication to winning. Look at MTL OTT NYI NYR etc. Teams that are rebuilding or lose top players (maybe CLB trades Panarin for futures?) can lose their way and with lack of extra effort a lesser team that tries harder can beat them. Doesn’t mean they will but for every team on the rise their is probably one that knows it’s on the way down.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A lot of these rankings don’t seem to get how badly goaltending nearly sunk the season last season. We were in a strong position all season until Cory fell off the cliff.

I think our goalie stats for the season were really bad as well. Any improvement in that area for the season means a lot for where we end up.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
A lot of these rankings don’t seem to get how badly goaltending nearly sunk the season last season. We were in a strong position all season until Cory fell off the cliff.

I think our goalie stats for the season were really bad as well. Any improvement in that area for the season means a lot for where we end up.

I'm not sure why anyone would have confidence that the Devils would get better goaltending this year. They certainly might - I'm just not confident in that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Isn't he not allowed to travel with the team for as long as he isn't signed? I remember that being the stipulation when Gomez and Stralman, Mair, etc, did it years ago.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i think they are factoring it in, but they’re not expecting kinkaid to carry us that far again...and they’re not expecting a rebound season from our #1 goalie coming off hip surgery. people here can disagree with that but it makes sense objectively

My3Sons

Sponsor
i think they are factoring it in, but they’re not expecting kinkaid to carry us that far again...and they’re not expecting a rebound season from our #1 goalie coming off hip surgery. people here can disagree with that but it makes sense objectively

Are there precedents for similarly aged goalies having the same surgery and returning to play?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Pretty sure Rinne had the same surgery.

So it’s not necessarily the end of the road. Hopefully his rehab goes well and he can play pain free. That might allow him to return to somemthing close to what he is capable of. While on the wrong side of 30 he isn’t so old that he should have lost all of his capability.

Reactions: MartyOwns

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I'm surprised that a lot of the ''Devils will be bad'' predictions don't talk enough about goaltending. Schneider has now had 2 consecutive poor seasons and just had hip surgery. So he may already be toast and reduced to 2010-2012 era Brodeur and Keith Kinkaid is just Keith Kinkaid.

I said it years ago, I'll say it again (bc I'm the only one to do so).. Kinkaid has the skillset capable to be a number 1 goalie. Should he maintain last years play after he became the starter, he will be a starter for some team next year.

Too early to say how Cory will play. My biggest worry is if the hip surgery causes him to change his position or movement and how that will affect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad