Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Oh yeah? Care to explain that comment?

@ 7:15

Textbook 3 on 2. McDavid gains the zone and drives the net forcing the D to cover him.

So... in reality, you're supposed to play this like 2 2-on-1s, with each defenseman spaced. I can kinda see why Severson panicked and thought he should take a poke at McDavid, because... well, it IS McDavid and if he doesn't tighten up a little bit, you don't want him to split the two.

That said - Andy Greene was in great shape, and you'd like Severson to get in better position between the two so he could get a stick on either the pass across and STILL be able to flip his stick to deflect the shot.

THAT would've been a good defensive play.

Instead he didn't make it - he also pivoted at the crucial moment instead of being in position to get his stick around, and so it ended up pretty much a 3-on-1 instead of a 3-on-2.

Terribad mistake? not really. Good solid defensive play? Nope.

You need to give the other team credit here. If anything, this play is on Hall for being too aggressive on Lucic while being the last forward back.

Yep - that caused the 3-on-2, but we were in pretty good shape to stop it anyway. Allowing a cross-ice circle-to-circle pass ain't gonna make goalie stats go up, and not being there to at least deflect the shot... well...

Reactions: Nubmer6

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oh yeah? Care to explain that comment?

@ 7:15

Textbook 3 on 2. McDavid gains the zone and drives the net forcing the D to cover him. McDavid passes it to his LW in Lucic who delays and finds Draisaitl the open man. Severson can't leave McDavid here, he'd be wide open in front of the net all by himself, who BTW is also the best player on the planet.

You need to give the other team credit here. If anything, this play is on Hall for being too aggressive on Lucic while being the last forward back.

No, this is wrong, Severson shouldn't stick with McDavid, that's Greene's job here. McDavid and Lucic are very close together, where Greene can play the 2on1 with them to prevent a pass back to McDavid from Lucic, while sticking close enough to Lucic to keep him from going in for a deke. Lucic can either shoot or pass to Draisaitl based on Greene's positioning here. Greene plays this perfectly, and Severson blows his coverage.

@7:18 Greene and Severson are both positioned perfectly here. McDavid has the puck in the middle with Lucic to his left and Draisaitl to his right. McDavid can't really go between them, and Greene/Severson are in a good position to cover either player on the wing should McDavid make a pass.

@7:20 McDavid has stayed in the middle but cut slightly to his left, and slid a pass over to Lucic. Greene is in a perfect position to play the 2on1 here and either have Lucic try and force a pass to McDavid, who Greene is on, or take a shot on goal that Kinkaid should stop based on the angle and distance. At this point, Severson needs to cover the third option, the cross ice pass.

@7:21 Lucic passes to a wide open Draisaitl. Severson has his back to the pass and is doing absolutely nothing to contribute to defending this play. He's "covering" McDavid, as you can see from the image is already covered by his partner in Greene.

The entire job of a defenseman on an odd man rush is to prevent a clean cross ice pass or a deke on the goalie, as you severely limit your goalie's ability to make a save if that pass gets across. Severson blows his job here and leaves the most dangerous play wide open to cover a man who wasn't in a dangerous position and was already covered. McDavid does nothing special on this 3on2, and it's completely misleading to claim "oh it's McDavid what can you do?" when this was a textbook breakdown of defensive coverage. Teams run overlap plays and such specifically to draw defensemen out of position to open up passing and shooting lanes, but the reason they all just stayed in a straight line here is because there was no need to draw anyone out of position, Severson did it for them.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is something...
Yes, the truth. Just because other players messed up earlier in the play doesn't give a free pass to everyone else on the ice. The Hall line went in too deep and caused a 3on2, that is entirely on them. Greene and Severson were in good position to defend the 3on2, and the Oilers didn't even execute the rush well (i.e. the middle rush play, the text book play Missionhockey was likely referring to) except the fact that Severson misread the play and left a passing lane wide open.

Feel free to respond to my post where I break the play down if you disagree with something specific.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Let's not make judgements on Severson for how he handled Connor McDavid. Let's jump all over him if he does the same thing to.... anyone else...

Reactions: RangerDoggo

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
A 3 on 2 with McDavid driving the play no less.

Saying a defenseman made a "horrible mistake" on a well executed 3 on 2 by the fastest and one of the most skilled players in the league is the most ridiculous spin I can possibly imagine...

Victim blaming - Wikipedia

The horrible mistake was 3 forwards caught deep and allowing 3 Oilers an unmolested breakout....

I mean, I like Sevs, but he usually ends up looking at his own goalie covering no one and nothing on odd man rushes. Like, a surprising amount of times that happens.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Severson did not play that 3 on 2 well. It is true that if he had stayed in his position, McDavid might've blown Greene away 1 on 1 and gotten off a great scoring chance anyway, but he made the play easier for Connor. He's not the first guy who got burned by trying too hard to take time and space away from McDavid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's not make judgements on Severson for how he handled Connor McDavid. Let's jump all over him if he does the same thing to.... anyone else...

His ill-timed pinch with two seconds left on a power play that led to a two on zero toward the end of the second period was like a hundred times worse than anything that happened on that three on two.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yes, the truth. Just because other players messed up earlier in the play doesn't give a free pass to everyone else on the ice. The Hall line went in too deep and caused a 3on2, that is entirely on them. Greene and Severson were in good position to defend the 3on2, and the Oilers didn't even execute the rush well (i.e. the middle rush play, the text book play Missionhockey was likely referring to) except the fact that Severson misread the play and left a passing lane wide open.

Feel free to respond to my post where I break the play down if you disagree with something specific.

He definitely didn't play it well, I don't think it was the worst way, but it wasn't good.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
We have Jim saying Mueller didn't do anything special going up against Mcdavid pretty much all night...

And then proceeds to defend Severson play on that 3-on-2 because McDavid was one of the three edmonton players.

Let's just call it as it is. The Severson fan club absolutely hate the fact that Mueller is a more steady defenseman

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Let's just call it as it is. The Severson fan club absolutely hate the fact that Mueller is a more steady defenseman
I'd like to wait till we have a larger sample size to say that, but I'm a bit more optimistic after his performance in our first game.

It scares me because these were the D lines I wanted to see before the season began... and I'm rarely right :toothless

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We have Jim saying Mueller didn't do anything special going up against Mcdavid pretty much all night...

And then proceeds to defend Severson play on that 3-on-2 because McDavid was one of the three edmonton players.

...but his corsi!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Didn’t he praise Merril when he was on the first pairing and basically played the exact same game when he was against Ovechkin?

Reactions: Darkauron

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The thing with Severson is he consistently makes bad reads defensively in coverage. It’s just not his forte and that’s fine.

But we need to see more of his game offensively, defensively in the neutral zone, and in transition to off set that. If we do, he’s a valuable defender.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why do we always have to divide folks into fan clubs? Let's all just be fans of the Devils dammit

Regarding the Devils, fans are always going to have their favorites and the guys they don't like. Some people make that a lot more obvious than others. But yeah, I don't think Mueller had a dominant game in Sweden. He played decent and I want to see more of that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Regarding the Devils, fans are always going to have their favorites and the guys they don't like. Some people make that a lot more obvious than others. But yeah, I don't think Mueller had a dominant game in Sweden. He played decent and I want to see more of that.

We don't have a single defender capable of being dominant.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

All things considered, I don't know how much more you could ask for from the guy. That's a big stage to be on in the first game of the regular season. I like his reach and I like his speed. Hopefully he can figure out the little things like making the proper play on the breakout. He has decent shutdown D potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad