Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
why so much goalie talk. It's like talking about drummers in a band. Nobody really cares except for other drummers. Just sit back there don't f*** up the beat alright?

Reactions: Comparison Ford

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How do you think Mueller did against McDavid's line on Saturday? I thought he played a simple, effective game
I wasn't impressed honestly.
He appears to have an extremely limited tool box. I think he is very slow in his decision making process....Almost like you can see panic if he can't just toss it over to his partner...Perhaps it is not panic as much as indecisiveness from lack of experience? I don't know... I tend to reserve negative judgement on inexperienced defenseman and with only 83 career games Mirco has a lot to learn.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I wasn't impressed honestly.
He appears to have an extremely limited tool box. I think he is very slow in his decision making process....Almost like you can see panic if he can't just toss it over to his partner...Perhaps it is not panic as much as indecisiveness from lack of experience? I don't know... I tend to reserve negative judgement on inexperienced defenseman and with only 83 career games Mirco has a lot to learn.

Well, let's be honest. The guy was thrown into the fire and paired with Vatanen. It doesn't appear he'll ever be anything to write home about offensively. My concern with him is his thought process on the breakout. I haven't seen him make consistent good decisions in that regard. I hope he can eventually make the right play up the middle instead of just off the glass or to his defensive partner. All things considered, I thought he looked fine in his first action on the "top pair" but there is definitely work to do

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well, let's be honest. The guy was thrown into the fire and paired with Vatanen. It doesn't appear he'll ever be anything to write home about offensively. My concern with him is his thought process on the breakout. I haven't seen him make consistent good decisions in that regard. I hope he can eventually make the right play up the middle instead of just off the glass or to his defensive partner. All things considered, I thought he looked fine in his first action on the "top pair" but there is definitely work to do

I like that you put that in quotes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah putting Mueller with Vat is good since he won't need to drive the offense and can just focus on being complementary. I wouldn't mind him with Severson either except that'd put Greene back with Vat. Having Mueller with another stay-at-home guy like Lovejoy/Santini would be just ick.

Plus they're not giving Mueller, top pair minutes just yet as the above noted...Greene was still with Vat on the first PK (which promptly got scored against).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
5v5 Ice time in the last game...Some of this was skewed because all of the special teams play...But still.

Severson 19:05
Vatenen 18:54
Greene 18:23
Mueller 17:47
Butcher 16:10
Lovejoy 12:51

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I thought Mueller looked fine the other day. Not sure what anyone would have found to criticize.

In fact, I thought in general the entire D was decent Saturday, Severson had one horrible costly mistake that resulted in an Edmonton goal, but that was about it for tragedies. Other than that I thought it was a solid team D game.

Reactions: Blender

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Speaking of Butcher, just want to say I love that the team is seeing other forms of exposure (in addition to Behind the Glass), like featuring the team in various NHL bumpers during games. In one ad they have a slapper from Butcher that goes in with the crowd leaping to its feet behind net. Also, the commercial jocking NHL 19 has an in-game freeze frame of Hall. Small stuff, but very cool to see.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now that I have you, what did you think of Butcher?
I thought he had a good game. I also think he has shown continuous improvement, so that is good. But I am still skeptical of his skating ability. But his decisiom making is superb..We'll see.

I am also not sure how much stock we should put into 1 game against Edmonton. I thought Edmonton wasn't very good and their defensive zone coverage was really bad.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I just looked at the box score, and 4 of 6 Devils defenseman chipped in with a point (Butcher, Mueller, Severson, Vatanen).

It might be a while before 4 of 6 Devils defensemen all get a point in the same game again!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I thought Mueller looked fine the other day. Not sure what anyone would have found to criticize.

In fact, I thought in general the entire D was decent Saturday, Severson had one horrible costly mistake that resulted in an Edmonton goal, but that was about it for tragedies. Other than that I thought it was a solid team D game.
Are you talking about the 3 on 2?

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
How do you think Mueller did against McDavid's line on Saturday? I thought he played a simple, effective game
i thought the pairing played fine.. mueller is a solid player... the team just doesn't have a true top pairing but he takes up tons of space out there.. .. and could be a nice fit with vat. ..

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He must be, but there's nothing Severson could do there IMO. The D needs support from their backcheckers.
This just isn't true, he played that 3on2 the worst possible way to do so. Do I fault him for the fact that there was a 3on2? Of course not, so the play is by no means entirely his fault, but it's just another example of something we see every game from him, he doesn't know where to be or what to do without the puck while defending.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I thought he had a good game. I also think he has shown continuous improvement, so that is good. But I am still skeptical of his skating ability. But his decisiom making is superb..We'll see.

I am also not sure how much stock we should put into 1 game against Edmonton. I thought Edmonton wasn't very good and their defensive zone coverage was really bad.

undoubtedly edmonton did not have their legs under them... and aside from mcdcvid they didn't mount much on the offensive side of puck at all.. the devils played very well and had something to do with that.. getting a win is one thing. many NHL games can go either way... this game was a no doubter. the devils were clearly the superior team... more nights like that and it will be a good season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
undoubtedly edmonton did not have their legs under them... and aside from mcdcvid they didn't mount much on the offensive side of puck at all.. the devils played very well and had something to do with that.. getting a win is one thing. many NHL games can go either way... this game was a no doubter. the devils were clearly the superior team... more nights like that and it will be a good season.
The Oilers are a team we should be beating. We're better than them on paper, so if we came out flat and played down to their team, I wouldn't have been happy. Good to see the Devils showed up and took it to them for 60 minutes.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
i’m pretty judgmental of seversons play, but i was actually pretty impressed with him in the edmonton game.

i have to keep reiterating though, edmonton looked pretty horrid outside of mcdavid.

washington is gonna be a huge test

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He must be, but there's nothing Severson could do there IMO. The D needs support from their backcheckers.
A 3 on 2 with McDavid driving the play no less.

Saying a defenseman made a "horrible mistake" on a well executed 3 on 2 by the fastest and one of the most skilled players in the league is the most ridiculous spin I can possibly imagine...

Victim blaming - Wikipedia

The horrible mistake was 3 forwards caught deep and allowing 3 Oilers an unmolested breakout....

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
i’m pretty judgmental of seversons play, but i was actually pretty impressed with him in the edmonton game.

i have to keep reiterating though, edmonton looked pretty horrid outside of mcdavid.

washington is gonna be a huge test
Severson was fine overall, as he often is. I'm not going to sweep his blunders under the rug like some here do though, he hasn't really improved his zone defense since he was a rookie and it's pretty disappointing, because I think this is the biggest issue keeping him from being a top pairing guy.

Reactions: Take Notes

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
This just isn't true, he played that 3on2 the worst possible way to do so. Do I fault him for the fact that there was a 3on2? Of course not, so the play is by no means entirely his fault, but it's just another example of something we see every game from him, he doesn't know where to be or what to do without the puck while defending.
Oh yeah? Care to explain that comment?

@ 7:15

Textbook 3 on 2. McDavid gains the zone and drives the net forcing the D to cover him. McDavid passes it to his LW in Lucic who delays and finds Draisaitl the open man. Severson can't leave McDavid here, he'd be wide open in front of the net all by himself, who BTW is also the best player on the planet.

You need to give the other team credit here. If anything, this play is on Hall for being too aggressive on Lucic while being the last forward back.

Reactions: Aethon

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
A 3 on 2 with McDavid driving the play no less.

Saying a defenseman made a "horrible mistake" on a well executed 3 on 2 by the fastest and one of the most skilled players in the league is the most ridiculous spin I can possibly imagine...

Victim blaming - Wikipedia

The horrible mistake was 3 forwards caught deep and allowing 3 Oilers an unmolested breakout....

In the end, this is correct. Hall went for a hit at the opposing blueline with Hischier and Palmieri deep in the offensive zone. It was an easy chip out to McDavid and the rest is history.

I love the aggressive style of play but, at 4-1, that play shouldn't happen. The third forward in should be more responsible in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad