Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is all 100% correct.

Only thing I can add is posters saying Severson is correct "because it's McDavid", is a dopey comment. The X's & O's dont change because of the player. I dont care if the man with the puck is Pavel Bure in EA Sports NHL94, the defensive fundamentals of hockey dont change.

The X's and O's absolutely do change because of the player. If a defender knows a guy is a shoot-first guy, he should cheat more towards a shot. If he's a pass-first player, maybe cheat towards the pass. With McDavid, he made a mistake, but that's one of the many ways how tremendously skilled players can beat defenders - the defenders get focused on him because he's so talented one on one, they're looking to help out their partner and get tunnel vision about the other players around him.

I think someone said upthread that Greene and Severson also ended up on the wrong side of the ice relative to their positions. Not sure how that happened either. However it did, that added to the difficulty of the play.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
2jp7ko.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As for Mueller, people are fixated on the word dominant - yeah, he was fine on Saturday. I hope to see more like that,; he got a hard assignment and he did an adequate job. But taking one game and being like 'welp, Mueller haters are out for blood' is asinine.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Santini just hasn’t shown he can outplay Lovejoy

I wouldn't know, because it' been 9 months since he's appeared in an NHL game.

I just find it bizarre that they went from trusting him with something insane like 80% DZS, to banishing him to the AHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I just find it bizarre that they went from trusting him with something insane like 80% DZS, to banishing him to the AHL.

I agree his usage was odd to say the least but he didn’t stand out to me when I watched him in preseason. Obviously the team is much better off if he can send Lovejoy to the bench but he must not be quite ready yet.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think that is the most likes I've ever gotten for a post.

I'm going to frame it next to my picture of Severson looking at the ice lost where to be at.

Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I don't think he was "banished" as much as it was just easier (and probably better than being in a rotation) for him to stay down in Bingo. And Lovejoy was fine in a third pairing role.

I really thought Santini was going to force Lovejoy out this year, but he kind of dropped the ball in preseason. I can't say as I blame the coaches for preferring Lovejoy, at least right now.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Santini wasn't very good in preseason, I don't have much of a problem with hin sitting, but he should be playing at some point.

And just to add something about my post on Severson, I thought he had a solid game overall.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
50 years later, the old Spider-Man cartoon is still the gift that keeps on giving.

If Lovejoy continues to do a decent job on the third line, then we’re probably not going to see Santini except for when Hynes decides to go with 11 forwards/7 defensemen.

Reactions: glenwo2

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
By the way, even if you don’t like what Severson did in the 3-on-2, it could be worse. In yesterday’s game against Buffalo, Jon Merrill was on the ice when Jack Eichel scores a goal after being covered by nobody.
so is the season over now or what? are we ever playing another game?
I’m pissed we have to wait two more games for the second game of the season. I’d be perfectly fine with the NHL eliminating regular-season international games entirely.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
so is the season over now or what? are we ever playing another game?

Soon our condensed schedule of games on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday will start. But don’t worry, they gave us Friday off before our next 5 games in a row schedule starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->