Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XlV

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
More like Nurse and a second for Lovejoy and a sixth. NJ’s sixth is coveted. Have you seen what they get in the sixth round? Chia will be powerless to resist.
Is Nurse all that good?

I don't think I'd trade Wood for him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Maybe it's a bit too early to think about the deadline, but I can see Ray getting a good deal for MoJo at the deadline from Edmonton. Edmonton ownership has made it clear to their management that they want the playoffs this year, and MoJo is the right kind of piece that a bubble team would try to acquire to put them over the hump - he would take pressure off the 2nd line in zone entries, etc.

This sounds like a largely stupid thing for Edmonton to be doing, but hey if we profit off it, so be it.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
VERY OBVIOUS DEADLINE TRADES:

Boyle
Greene
Lovejoy
MoJo

IF PRICE IS RIGHT DEADLINE TRADES:

Butcher
Severson
Wood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
not only is he good, he’s exactly the right type of defenseman for this team
I don't really know his deployment, but his shots for% and goals for % are both below 47%. Compared to his team mates, his #'s are not favorable in terms of limiting shots or limiting goals.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I don't really know his deployment, but his shots for% and goals for % are both below 47%. Compared to his team mates, his #'s are not favorable in terms of limiting shots or limiting goals.

oh, well i don’t actually care about any of that. he’s a 23 year old, 6’4, physical, mobile defenseman on a bargain contract through next season. he would be well worth mojo, wood and a pick, he is the exact type of defenseman people here are clamoring for in GDT’s. he’ll probably get $6M on his next contract, and i’d love it to be in NJ

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Nurse is about the only player Chiarelli has a hope of winning a trade on, he's overrated because he was a high pick but the on-ice results just aren't there; he's maybe an average defenseman but at that draft slot and with that ice time he's going to be way overpaid.

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I have little interest in trading Wood.

The reason I've given up on Wood is mental. I dont believe he's smart enough to succeed in the NHL.

Yes, I realize this is non-PC and sounds "mean", but the reality is, while hockey is a reactive sport, intelligence is actually quite important, and I fear he's lacking in that critical area to truly ever succeed at the NHL level. I strongly believe he's gotten thus far on speed & athleticism alone. It's not enough.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The reason I've given up on Wood is mental. I dont believe he's smart enough to succeed in the NHL.

Yes, I realize this is non-PC and sounds "mean", but the reality is, while hockey is a reactive sport, intelligence is actually quite important, and I fear he's lacking in that critical area to truly ever succeed at the NHL level. I strongly believe he's gotten thus far on speed & athleticism alone. It's not enough.
I feel we've seen big jumps in his ability to think the game.

Mentioned it in a similar "wood is not smart" discussion a week or so ago, but there was a play where he covered the point for whatever d was pinching, held the zone on a clearing attempt, made a perfect "d" to d pass, which led to a goal(and an assist for Wood).

Anecdotal, and I don't claim him to be a genius on the ice, but we do have to realize he is still learning the game, and the fact that imo, he is showing improvements in the mental side of the game alleviates any concerns.

Before the injury Wood was playing some dang good hockey, beyond just using his speed to get around guys.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not sure if I would expect any more big jumps from Wood, but there does seem to be a bad habit on this board of wanting to toss any young player that hits a rough patch out the window.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I think people need to realize how little top level hockey Wood has actually played in his life

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think Wood has the skill or smarts to be a top 6 forward, but I wouldn't give up on him yet. Marek used to say something to the effect of you don't give up on a kid until you're absolutely sure of him, and I don't think we know what exactly Wood is yet.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Doesn't Wood have like 8 points in the last 10 games with a ton of shots?

He started slow but he has been way better the past month

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not sure if I would expect any more big jumps from Wood, but there does seem to be a bad habit on this board of wanting to toss any young player that hits a rough patch

Here's the thing that plays a large part in my logic.

NHL Forwards = Checkers
NHL Defense = Chess

Though I do agree, there IS a risk in trading a young player who has talent, the same could be said of trading Butcher or Severson.

The reason I'd like to trade these three, is that my evaluation of them is that they all are sufficiently deficient in areas that will inhibit them from being truly successful in the NHL. Of those three, the one I'd fear the biggest risk of being "wrong" about is Butcher, and again, IQ factors into this. Will Butcher is clearly intelligent and is still learning the NHL game. If he added 10 pounds of muscle and became more physical, he'd be a helluvan' asset. I just dont think there's similar hope left for Severson or Wood taking large leaps.

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
oh, well i don’t actually care about any of that. he’s a 23 year old, 6’4, physical, mobile defenseman on a bargain contract through next season. he would be well worth mojo, wood and a pick, he is the exact type of defenseman people here are clamoring for in GDT’s. he’ll probably get $6M on his next contract, and i’d love it to be in NJ

hes not good but hes tall, lets do it

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Not sure if I would expect any more big jumps from Wood, but there does seem to be a bad habit on this board of wanting to toss any young player that hits a rough patch out the window.
I think his perceived value around the league isn't ever going to be higher. He's at that sweet spot where he's old enough to have a little experience, young enough that he still has room to grow, the early returns have been promising, and he's still under RFA control. That's trade bait bingo, and for a team that doesn't have a ton of high quality pieces available I think he could be a very valuable trading chip. Either in a hockey deal, or as the centerpiece for a bigger player.

I don't really have anything as a player, I just think we should view all of these players as assets and optimize how we use them.

Reactions: BenedictGomez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad