Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xlll

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Luongo said it took him 2 years. He put up a .915 and .929 SV%s in the years following his hip surgery. Adjusting for home rink and playing environment let's say a .915 is a .908 in NJ. For Schneider to be a .908 SV% goalie this season, if he plays 20 more games and averages 32 shots against per game, he needs to put up a .925 SV%.
If he plays 20 more games at .910+ I'll forgive the 9 games of horrible that we have seen so far.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Stafford and Lovejoy both got too much heat. They are not liabilities out there, they got **** on due to their age and not playing a fancy game.
Thats just not true - Stafford prior to his recent streak of good games was toral garbage and was not helping in any form. For some reason he rediscovered the drive to want to play hard and has succeeded

Lovejoy always got a bad rep he didnt deserve ill agree

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thats just not true - Stafford prior to his recent streak of good games was toral garbage and was not helping in any form. For some reason he rediscovered the drive to want to play hard and has succeeded

I thought Stafford was ok last year, just couldn't get on the score sheet.

It does look like he has a bit more jump in his step this year though. And sometimes that bit of a jump is the difference between producing and not producing.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Comparing some defensive team stats PK vs our team at 5v5.

5v5 we are 25th in the league in terms of corsi against per 60, 26th in shots against, 28th in goals against, 18th in scoring chances against, a respectable 8th in high danger corsi,

On the PK we are 2nd in the league in corsi against per 60, shots against per 60, goals against per 60. 3rd in scoring chances against per 60.

1st in high danger chances against.

In terms of team save% we are 27th in the league at 5v5.

On the PK we are 11th.

So in general our team defensive stats are bad at 5v5, but excellent on the PK.

What is the disconnect? I'd point to the defensemen following opposing players up the boards at 5v5. We play a pretty traditional positioning on the pk.

I think one thing that can't be ignored is that on the PK, we don't need to worry about breaking out of the zone - just throw the puck down the ice and not take an icing. 5v5, we can't do that. I do think a lot of our defensive woes 5v5 come back to not having a clear-cut way to get out of our own zone - then players get tired, play breaks down, etc.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hynes with hair looks almost unnatural

2qbn2p.jpg

:naughty:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Lovejoy especially is a favorite whipping boy of some posters even though he's a pretty solid 3rd pairing defenseman 99% of the time.
At this point we need to get more experience and seasoning for Santini and Mueller. We need to know if they can take over duties next year, and we can't do that if they're on the bench. At the same time, we need to play Lovejoy if we expect to trade him. We really need to see what we can get for him sooner rather than later.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Lovejoy is 100% going to get interest at the deadline. He's an effective depth defenseman, and all the numbers back that up.

Lovejoy has been one of the best Devils defenseman this year. Yes, he gets some of the least tough assignments, so there's that, but he's excellent on the PK and does what he's asked.

I mentioned yesterday that I believe his return next month is going to be better than most posters here think.

Reactions: Blender

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
As for Marcus Johansson, do not want.

I have no assurance that his career isnt going to end young on medical, so I sure as hell wouldnt sign him long-term.

It was a good trade by Shero, it just didn't work out due to eleventy-billion injuries, which probably play a part in his subpar production even when "healthy".

If you can get a 2nd round pick for him next month, take it and run.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
As for Marcus Johansson, do not want.

I have no assurance that his career isnt going to end young on medical, so I sure as hell wouldnt sign him long-term.

It was a good trade by Shero, it just didn't work out due to eleventy-billion injuries, which probably play a part in his subpar production even when "healthy".

If you can get a 2nd round pick for him next month, take it and run.

i’m less worried about his medical issues/contract- it won’t count against our cap if he’s on long term injury or retires. i’d be more concerned with him blocking the path of our prospects in a couple of years, unless he’s willing to sign cheap. if he is, i have no problem with him on our 3rd line.

but i agree, if someone offers us a 3rd or better we absolutely take it

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
i’m less worried about his medical issues/contract- it won’t count against our cap if he’s on long term injury or retires. i’d be more concerned with him blocking the path of our prospects in a couple of years, unless he’s willing to sign cheap. if he is, i have no problem with him on our 3rd line.

but i agree, if someone offers us a 3rd or better we absolutely take it

Injured players count against the cap, and injured players do not retire.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Lovejoy has been one of the best Devils defenseman this year. Yes, he gets some of the least tough assignments, so there's that, but he's excellent on the PK and does what he's asked.

I mentioned yesterday that I believe his return next month is going to be better than most posters here think.
Agreed, most playoff teams are looking for that type of guy to play on their bottom pairing and eat PK minutes. I think we'll get a decent return for him.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Stafford was never a liability for this team. He wasn’t producing but wasn’t a detriment to the team.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
LTIR counts against the cap?

Yes. It is just that you can replace that player's salary with additional salary, but it all counts against the cap - the cap hit doesn't disappear. If any player earns a bonus when someone is on full-season LTIR, that will count against the next season's cap. A team isn't banking cap space when a player is on LTIR.

Reactions: Blender

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yes. It is just that you can replace that player's salary with additional salary, but it all counts against the cap - the cap hit doesn't disappear. If any player earns a bonus when someone is on full-season LTIR, that will count against the next season's cap. A team isn't banking cap space when a player is on LTIR.

oh, interesting thanks. in that case yeah i’d be concerned with giving him term

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I get the feeling that the Bruins are hurting for forwards from reading on hfboards. I don’t really follow them so I don’t really know. I wonder if that’s the case, would they be a good landing spot for Johansson? Possibly exploit their desperation. Maybe even include Boyle if a package of the two would bring a healthier return from one team rather than dealing them separately.

Last edited:

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I know I'm a few pages late on this, but don't forget that even though Ty Smith is listed as a LHD (and played so for Team Canada), he very often plays on the right-hand side for Spokane and looks like his normal self doing so.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I know I'm a few pages late on this, but don't forget that even though Ty Smith is listed as a LHD (and played so for Team Canada), he very often plays on the right-hand side for Spokane and looks like his normal self doing so.
All the more reason to trade Severson if thats the case

Im pretty set on moving him with management favoring Butcher

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
if we’re a .500 team from now -> february 25th, i wonder how shero handles the trade deadline. i hope he’s smart enough to be a seller

They’re >10 points behind multiple teams for the last playoff spot. Only a truly insane month would cause them not to sell.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Given that Boston just lost Nash to a concussion last season, they may be wary of going to that well again. I think a likely scenario is Johansson headed back to Washington for Burakovsky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad