Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we're out of it by March it hardly matters anyway, might as well play Cory if healthy when the pressure's off and see if we can get him any resale value at all. If we're not out of it by March Keith stays regardless.

That said I don't think he's getting any 2nd rounder back, I honestly don't remember the last goalie who was traded for a high pick at the deadline after Dwayne Roloson in 2006. Ben Bishop went for nothing a year or two ago and he had a lot more of a track record.
Cory has to be somewhat capable though. Let's say Cory continues on as he did in the early part of this season. You just can not have that level goal tender as your starter. Even as a backup. That is going to put a beating on a young teams psyche.

Now if Black wood keeps rolling till the dead line, and Cory looks to be half way respectable by then? OK, but not something I'd consider right now. As you mention the return will likely not be there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Contenders aren't typically looking for a goalie at the deadline...That knocks out a large portion of potential buyers out of the running. Now Boyle could be a very hot commodity in my opinion... a 4C upgrade with some goal scoring ability...Most contenders bend over backward to make that type of acquisition.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
so...:

the AHL all-star game is on the 27th-28th.

so what happens to the players on the 28th? we have a game against Pitt.

Seems easy, JQ will be back down by then barring more injuries or Hall/MarJo lingering through then while Blackwood's here as long as he's playing well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
so...:

the AHL all-star game is on the 27th-28th.

so what happens to the players on the 28th? we have a game against Pitt.

They don't play in the ALL Star Game...This happens a lot...They name replacements. I am pretty sure it happened with Mike Sislo because he was with NJ

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
That said I don't think he's getting any 2nd rounder back, I honestly don't remember the last goalie who was traded for a high pick at the deadline after Dwayne Roloson in 2006. Ben Bishop went for nothing a year or two ago and he had a lot more of a track record.

Ryan Miller fetched a 2015 1st at the 2014 deadline. Goalie market will be tough to extract a ton of value barring injuries to other clubs. Most playoff clubs aren't going to give too much to upgrade on their backups.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ryan Miller fetched a 2015 1st at the 2014 deadline. Goalie market will be tough to extract a ton of value barring injuries to other clubs. Most playoff clubs aren't going to give too much to upgrade on their backups.

Yeah that's a good one...the Blues were clearly trading for a proven name guy to start for them. Don't see a situation where KK is traded for as a starter on a contender.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
was this shared/talked about?

Interesting read. I like the idea of targeting a young forward like Roslovic, but not fingers crossed that he becomes a 2C. He’d be a good add as a young RH forward.

I’d be fine bringing Boyle back after dealing him at the deadline for another year or two of fourth line duty.

It’s a shame Smith, McLeod, Boqvist, Walsh, etc are so young and unproven. I’m sure the front office has a good idea what to expect, but all could make the team and all could need more time. I guess it just means going after top6 and top defensive help and signing a bunch of PTO’s to compete. A huge influx of young talent next year could be exciting and great for the development of the organization, it just could guarantee another low finish/high pick year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Maybe Kinkaid goes in a package deal with another deadline bait to increase the return. On his own, a 3rd would be lucky.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Contenders aren't typically looking for a goalie at the deadline...That knocks out a large portion of potential buyers out of the running. Now Boyle could be a very hot commodity in my opinion... a 4C upgrade with some goal scoring ability...Most contenders bend over backward to make that type of acquisition.

Boyle is out-scoring his production rate from when he was last traded, when he returned a 2nd + prospect for Tampa.

There's no reason to believe he can't return a similar package for NJ.

Reactions: Aethon

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Boyle will have a VERY nice return. I am kind of intrigued by a possible return for Lovejoy. Collectively this board dislikes him but I think it's undervaluing him for the most part. I can see a team giving us a decent pick for a guy who in bottom pairing minutes is fine and has a ton of playoff experience.

Reactions: Aethon

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
my ideal scenario:

Johansson for a 2nd
Boyle for a 2nd
Lovejoy for a 4th

package both of those 2nds either to move up in the draft or in a package for a LHD

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Interesting read. I like the idea of targeting a young forward like Roslovic, but not fingers crossed that he becomes a 2C. He’d be a good add as a young RH forward.

I’d be fine bringing Boyle back after dealing him at the deadline for another year or two of fourth line duty.

It’s a shame Smith, McLeod, Boqvist, Walsh, etc are so young and unproven. I’m sure the front office has a good idea what to expect, but all could make the team and all could need more time. I guess it just means going after top6 and top defensive help and signing a bunch of PTO’s to compete. A huge influx of young talent next year could be exciting and great for the development of the organization, it just could guarantee another low finish/high pick year.
there is no reason next season should be a finish low/draft high year. that would mean we stood completely still and did nothing but add more youth from our system, which everyone would agree would be completely outrageous

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Boyle will have a VERY nice return. I am kind of intrigued by a possible return for Lovejoy. Collectively this board dislikes him but I think it's undervaluing him for the most part. I can see a team giving us a decent pick for a guy who in bottom pairing minutes is fine and has a ton of playoff experience.
I agree. Lovejoy has been good this year. He has his limitations but I think he would valuable to a lot of teams at the deadline

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Once upon a time, Lovejoy returned a promising 21-year-old former 1st rounder Simon Despres. I'm not saying it's likely he returns something solid, but it has happened before.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Posted in the other thread but pretty startling...

Since the start of 2018

Devils are 37-36-10 or an 84 point team

Kinkaid:
33-17-9

Non-Kinkaid
4-19-1

He’s clearly a capable starter and has performed as expected over 60 games.

Reactions: devilsblood

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I know it doesnt happen often but I think Boyle is the perfect candidate for a trade and re-sign after the playoffs. His family doesnt even have to move itd only be for 2-3 months

Reactions: My3Sons and Billdo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad