Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You can't spend years telling me that this guy is playing better then the points show, and then the second he starts getting points you scream WELL THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING!

Throughout the season (at least past the first 6 or whatever games), Cordell's position has been that Zacha's contributing very little offensively, and I agree with him. I do think as the team improves so should his offense, but this stretch is not particularly convincing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Throughout the season (at least past the first 6 or whatever games), Cordell's position has been that Zacha's contributing very little offensively, and I agree with him. I do think as the team improves so should his offense, but this stretch is not particularly convincing.
My take on this whole thing is that he's getting better, but I'm still not sure I'd rely on him to be our 2C if we don't have to. I still say I'd rather have Zacha and Zajac swap roles if we don't add a 2C.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
No one here could tell me with a straight face that Zacha hasn't improved his game throughout the season, especially since coming back from his injury. You can just tell he's way more confident, more comfortable.

Not to open a can of worms, same thing goes for Cory. Since he came back from injury, his movement is way better, positioning way better and he hasn't let many bad goals (or "unstoppable goals").

Sometimes (or 90% of the time) looking only at stats is worthless without further analysis.

Reactions: My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Hall Nico Palms
Boqvist Zacha Bratt
Wood Zajac Coleman
Agostino Seney Anderson

2xx47i.jpg

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

That is crazy position to make by cordell or whomever, particularly if he is still saying that. Zacha has been contributing. 9 points in his last 11 games. And to the eyetest, he is visbaly more confident controlling play in ozone.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Would you trade our 4th or 5th round pick for the rights of any of the upcoming free agents?

Last edited:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
No one here could tell me with a straight face that Zacha hasn't improved his game throughout the season, especially since coming back from his injury. You can just tell he's way more confident, more comfortable.

Not to open a can of worms, same thing goes for Cory. Since he came back from injury, his movement is way better, positioning way better and he hasn't let many bad goals (or "unstoppable goals").

Sometimes (or 90% of the time) looking only at stats is worthless without further analysis.

Zacha's production aside, he has been taking initiative on plays that he never took before. That in itself is what leaves hope that a corner is being turned in his career as this has been something on going since December. It leaves a positive mindset going into the off-season and to build on going into next season for him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That’s also how you either lose/trade Hall or have to vastly overpay to keep him around.

If Hall’s decision on a contract ultimately hinges on Shero overpaying in a trade or overpaying some other UFA then my view is that Hall doesn’t really want to be with NJ. If Hall believes in management and the coaches and the team’s vision he will trust Shero. Hall’s signing an 8 year deal and it’s not like there is any realistic version of events where NJ is a contender next year with a Duchene signing for example. If he wants to play for a contender in the near term that just isn’t NJ. Hopefully he understands that 8 years is an eternity in sports.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Sponsor
Zacha's production aside, he has been taking initiative on plays that he never took before. That in itself is what leaves hope that a corner is being turned in his career as this has been something on going since December. It leaves a positive mindset going into the off-season and to build on going into next season for him.

Stop watching him play and start just looking at advanced stats. We all know that watching the player just clutters the analysis and the smartest guys in the room never actually watch hockey.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The forwards are fine. Goaltending seems fine with Blackwood/Schneider.

The issue is going to be defense. That's what will likely make or break this team next year.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
can't wait for Boqvist to come over, hopefully next season

guy is electric. putting him next to Nico or Zacha could be fun.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Stop watching him play and start just looking at advanced stats. We all know that watching the player just clutters the analysis and the smartest guys in the room never actually watch hockey.

was gonna make a similar comment. anyone who has actually watched him play can see a difference night and day between the past 3 months and last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The forwards are fine. Goaltending seems fine with Blackwood/Schneider.

The issue is going to be defense. That's what will likely make or break this team next year.

If the forwards and goalies actually play fine, then the D should most likely be good enough to compete for a playoff spot like we did last year.

The D should also be at worst marginally better thanks to internal upgrades alone.

Camille the Eel

Please no Duchene. Watching him put on a Columbus jersey has exposed his limitations. He does a few things very well but isn’t a transformative player for those around him. That’s why both Colorado and Ottawa moved him. He won’t turn us or any other team into a contender. Actually watching him this year I think Maroon is better. But Duchene will be paid as if he’s a guy who makes you a contender. You won’t get him for Maroon’s money. No please no Duchene.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Please no Duchene. Watching him put on a Columbus jersey has exposed his limitations. He does a few things very well but isn’t a transformative player for those around him. That’s why both Colorado and Ottawa moved him. He won’t turn us or any other team into a contender. Actually watching him this year I think Maroon is better. But Duchene will be paid as if he’s a guy who makes you a contender. You won’t get him for Maroon’s money. No please no Duchene.
I would give this post 1,000 likes if I could. Note the Avs made the playoffs both years after he left. Saying Maroon is better is pushing it but IMO he is not worth anything close to the $9 million or so it sounds like he wants.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If the forwards and goalies actually play fine, then the D should most likely be good enough to compete for a playoff spot like we did last year.

The D should also be at worst marginally better thanks to internal upgrades alone.
If they plan on keeping one of Carrick/Mueller/Yakovlev, they literally have to make a move with a dman. Even if they let all extras walk, if they plan on upgrading at all by bringing someone in it also requires a trade.

Unless were just waiving Santini which im fine with if he cant garner any picks

My3Sons

Sponsor
was gonna make a similar comment. anyone who has actually watched him play can see a difference night and day between the past 3 months and last year.

See, that’s the problem. You believe what your eyes are telling you in real time about the actual player on the ice. Watching hockey doesn’t actually reveal anything. Finding obscure stats to advance a contrarian view is the right way to analyze the game. Oh and the snapshot view that reveals unsustainable percentages that ignores the unsustainably bad percentages from earlier in the season is so much the better.

I am not old school and believe advanced stats can tell you things but they are a supplement to what you learn from actually watching the game. If you really want to have insight you need to watch the games in person then break down multi camera video and then see what the advanced stats say after that. Even then, if you want to measure possession why not measure possession. Get a timer and run it when your players have control in the offensive zone or the neutral zone. Relying solely on a box score just proves you are too lazy to actually do real research. At least high danger chances requires you to watch where the shots come from.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Positionally, I think we have everything we need up front aside from two second line forwards. Zacha could be one of those, but that remains to be seen.

Defensively, I'd say Vatanen and Severson are both high-end second pairing and low-end first pairing defenders. With the right partner, they can play quality top pairing minutes. They could also hold down a second pairing against lesser competition as well. Neither one is good enough to be on the top pairing with any of our current defenders either.

Greene and Butcher I would say fall into the next category of high-end third pairing but low-end second pairing defenders. They shouldn't be on the top pairing or else they would get exposed. But they can form a quality second pair and a very strong third pair.

The rest of the defenders we have except for the promising ones like Davies and Smith are decent third pairing material at best.

I still think that a top pairing LD would make a worlds difference to our defense pushing everyone into the right roles. Especially one that would pair well with Vatanen or Severson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad