Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I've been MIA from all things Devils the last couple weeks. Anything interesting happen? Any of the misfits look good enough for a look next year? Agostino seems to be putting up good numbers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been MIA from all things Devils the last couple weeks. Anything interesting happen? Any of the misfits look good enough for a look next year? Agostino seems to be putting up good numbers.
That's about it. Just Agostino.

Rooney looks not quite as bad as he used though. I'm not buying all the hype, but he certainly doesn't look as bad as Rod Pelley either. Peitila does and always will, but now I'm sidetracking myself.

Noesen had a beast mode game against Vancouver. I'd still be interested in bringing back Noesen for a one year deal for cheap, as he's been good the two prior years and was apparently playing injured for all (or most of) this year before now.

Carrick has been solid, but we already have 2 or 3 other bottom pairing guys just like him, that we're gonna need to part ways with some of them if we ever plan to upgrade.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
.I like Butcher, so this is absolutely not a knock on Smith. Those who don't like Butcher, are going to see it as a knock or think I'm underselling Ty, but I think Ty can come in next year and be no worse than Butcher in his rookie year, maybe even better?
I think if you can get dominant 3rd pairing play, which we had gotten from Butcher last year and earlier this season, from a 19 year old Smith that would be a very good rookie season.

I don't think we should be looking for anything more from him next season.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
@Triumph - your point on Conte is fine, but your specifics are off. Henrique certainly has been used as a top line forward. Bergfors + Cormier were traded for a top line forward. David Clarkson was signed, and though he didn’t play top line, he did lead the Devils in goals his last year with the team and scored 30 goals the year before. Larsson has been / is playing top pair D. Andy Greene, while not drafted, was scouted and has been a top pair D.

It’s not enough, but the idea that he produced nothing is not correct.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
@Triumph - your point on Conte is fine, but your specifics are off. Henrique certainly has been used as a top line forward. Bergfors + Cormier were traded for a top line forward. David Clarkson was signed, and though he didn’t play top line, he did lead the Devils in goals his last year with the team and scored 30 goals the year before. Larsson has been / is playing top pair D. Andy Greene, while not drafted, was scouted and has been a top pair D.

It’s not enough, but the idea that he produced nothing is not correct.

Henrique is not a 1st line forward. Just because he was used there does not make him one - he has never been one of the 90 best forwards in the league. Bergfors+Cormier were not traded for a top line forward - they were traded along with Johnny Oduya and a 1st round pick for one. The Devils were lucky that the Thrashers took Cormier instead of Henrique - both were offered in that deal. David Clarkson was never a 1st line forward and was not drafted. Adam Larsson was never a top pairing D - he was never one of the top 60 D in the league. Andy Greene was not drafted. Like, this is all basic stuff. Why not give Conte credit for the starting goalie they traded for with the 9th overall pick?

The Devils went at least 10 drafts without taking a top line player at any position. This is true and it takes massive intellectual juggling to say otherwise.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Henrique is not a 1st line forward. Just because he was used there does not make him one - he has never been one of the 90 best forwards in the league. Bergfors+Cormier were not traded for a top line forward - they were traded along with Johnny Oduya and a 1st round pick for one. The Devils were lucky that the Thrashers took Cormier instead of Henrique - both were offered in that deal. David Clarkson was never a 1st line forward and was not drafted. Adam Larsson was never a top pairing D - he was never one of the top 60 D in the league. Andy Greene was not drafted. Like, this is all basic stuff. Why not give Conte credit for the starting goalie they traded for with the 9th overall pick?

The Devils went at least 10 drafts without taking a top line player at any position. This is true and it takes massive intellectual juggling to say otherwise.

DON WADDELL!!!! :dunce:

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
When it’s all said and done, Conte’s best picks (taking where selected into account) post lock out are Henrique, Blake Coleman, Miles Wood, Alex Kerfoot and maybe Blackwood. Yikes.

A guy I sometimes talk to at games who is somewhat tuned in to what’s going on within the organization told me his theory that there was someone (he gave me the name, but I forget) on the scouting staff that was the real brains behind the North American part of the scouting department and was responsible for guys like Gionta, Parise, Gomez and Zajac who left in around 2006 or 2007 just when everything went to crap. Anyone ever heard this theory before?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When it’s all said and done, Conte’s best picks (taking where selected into account) post lock out are Henrique, Blake Coleman, Miles Wood, Alex Kerfoot and maybe Blackwood. Yikes.
Severson is one more.

Jon Merrill is an NHL caliber defenseman, but nothing special and nowhere near as good as the hype he came along with, whether it was in college or even in his first couple NHL seasons.

Mark Fayne WAS a good NHL caliber defenseman for a little while, but not for too long. He was a Conte pick in 2005, but he washed out of the league in his late 20's and probably won't return, at least not for good. He was good for a little, but it didn't last long. Pretty good pick for where he was drafted though. I believe it was the fifth round.

I was on the #FireConte train by the early 10's. I don't remember if DD was before I was or not, but I think I might have been the original member of the club. At the time I was for booting him, he had already made a few picks that would wind up being good or at least NHL caliber players, but they hadn't made their debuts in the NHL yet.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
McLeod has really not shown much of anything. I thought he was very good in the Rangers game, using his speed and size to get some forechecking pressure going, but other than that he's been very soft and dumb and not nearly as good of a skater as he should be. I don't know if he's nervous or what, but I can't see him making the team out of camp this fall. He still has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Bleedred

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Severson is one more.

Jon Merrill is an NHL caliber defenseman, but nothing special and nowhere near as good as the hype he came along with, whether it was in college or even in his first couple NHL seasons.

Mark Fayne WAS a good NHL caliber defenseman for a little while, but not for too long. He was a Conte pick in 2005, but he washed out of the league in his late 20's and probably won't return, at least not for good. He was good for a little, but it didn't last long. Pretty good pick for where he was drafted though. I believe it was the fifth round.

I was on the #FireConte train by the early 10's. I don't remember if DD was before I was or not, but I think I might have been the original member of the club. At the time I was for booting him, he had already made a few picks that would wind up being good or at least NHL caliber players, but they hadn't made their debuts in the NHL yet.

Yah, forgot about Severson. Fayne was probably a little better than a replacement level defenseman for a short while which is better than what most fifth rounders turn into, but I imagine every scouting director finds someone like that over a ten year period.

Reactions: Bleedred

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
McLeod has really not shown much of anything. I thought he was very good in the Rangers game, using his speed and size to get some forechecking pressure going, but other than that he's been very soft and dumb and not nearly as good of a skater as he should be. I don't know if he's nervous or what, but I can't see him making the team out of camp this fall. He still has a lot of work to do.

agreed. but i want him developing with us next year, not binghamton. if he earns it of course.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I sadly have to agree with this. I think he's been a non-factor at best.

Not that I wanna compare him to JQ, that's not where I'm going with this, it's the Shero quote that I'm comparing him to JQ with. But I think he's only here right now because we stink and injuries. I think if we were competitive, he may have gotten a call up this year for a brief period, but I don't think he would have played 13 games here. Especially not if he were a non-factor.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I sadly have to agree with this. I think he's been a non-factor at best.

Not that I wanna compare him to JQ, that's not where I'm going with this, it's the Shero quote that I'm comparing him to JQ with. But I think he's only here right now because we stink and injuries. I think if we were competitive, he may have gotten a call up this year for a brief period, but I don't think he would have played 13 games here. Especially not if he were a non-factor.
Clearly, McLeod is only here right now because of injuries.

Has he impressed? Not at all, (I remember people saying he'd be one of the best skaters in the league as soon as he made his debut which isn't even close to reality) but we do have to consider that his most common linemates are Anderson, Lappin and Tangradi.

I think we also have to remember that he is a center, and he has center responsibilities, so his lack of production should not be compared to JQ's.

One thing I have liked about him is he has been fiesty out there. He seems to be in a lot of scrums. I wanted more of that from JQ, but he seemed oddly reserved on the ice.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah I’m not putting much stock into McLeod’s time here right now. Only benefit I see is that it’s low pressure games for him to get some NHL exposure.

He absolutely still needs seasoning but his game is still suitable enough to be a bottom 6 guy even now when he isn’t showing very much in games.

If he earns a spot here next year, that’s fantastic, but I envision him being in Binghamton at least to start. Wouldn’t mind him getting top 6 minutes there for another year assuming we’re all healthy again.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Severson is one more.

Merrill has a 58% Corsi. Which is tops amongst Vegas D-men.

Now is this a knock against corsi moreso then praise of Merrill? Yeah, probably.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I really hope McLeod can develop onto an NHL player, but I just don't see it. Even as Zacha was struggling, or very early in his career, you could see flashes of a guy with the talent and mind to make it in this league. I haven't seen that at any level yet from McLeod. His skating isn't as advertised, he is frankly dumb in nearly ever decision he makes, his shot isn't good, his hands are worse than Zajacs... The only redeeming quality so far is faceoffs.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I should also add that it would be aggressively stupid to write off a 21 year old with 13 career NHL games. But the first impression has not been a good one. I understand this team is a shitshow and he's playing with garbage linemates, but he needs to find ways to get noticed. Rooney got noticed, Seney got noticed, Anderson got noticed, Bastian got noticed, f*** even Gabriel got noticed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Clearly, McLeod is only here right now because of injuries.

Has he impressed? Not at all, (I remember people saying he'd be one of the best skaters in the league as soon as he made his debut which isn't even close to reality) but we do have to consider that his most common linemates are Anderson, Lappin and Tangradi.

I think we also have to remember that he is a center, and he has center responsibilities, so his lack of production should not be compared to JQ's.

One thing I have liked about him is he has been fiesty out there. He seems to be in a lot of scrums. I wanted more of that from JQ, but he seemed oddly reserved on the ice.
The only comparison I meant to make between him and Quenneville was the “he’s here because we stink” comment that Shero made about Quenneville last year in reference to 2016-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->