Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I could care less about how the team places, come end of season, when it comes to this Hynes debacle

The guy's systems have always been shit but I gave him the benefit of having had some success with the team and Hall.

Now I begin to wonder how much better a guy like Hischier and Bratt Zacha could be doing in an actual NHL system. How our defenseman would force far less with a real NHL defensive scheme

Reactions: MichaelJ

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
There's a point at which you're jumping through a **** ton of hoops to criticize Severson in isolation, when every other d-man commits unforced errors at the same or worse rate but none of them send the puck going the other way as well as he does.

The problem is the coach. It will take a hell of a win streak won in a convincing fashion for me to give Hynes a pass for the stupid system we currently have. I think the roster is actually better than people believe, not worse.

I agree. I think the next month decides our fate as well as Hynes. If he doesn't manage to bring us above 500 by early/mid December we're screwed. To be honest we should do better, but if we don't improve ASAP we start a pretty brutal stretch on Nov 30 with games against the Caps, Jets, and Tampa followed by a 3 game California road trip.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I agree. I think the next month decides our fate as well as Hynes. If he doesn't manage to bring us above 500 by early/mid December we're screwed. To be honest we should do better, but if we don't improve ASAP we start a pretty brutal stretch on Nov 30 with games against the Caps, Jets, and Tampa followed by a 3 game California road trip.

If we are not in a playoff position by the end of next week, we most likely won't be a playoffs at the end of the season. I froget the stats, but you most of the teams in playoff positions around / just after American Thanksgiving will most likely make the playoffs, where most teams no in that position around / just after American Thanksgiving, don't make it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's not hard given he still makes way too many defensive mistakes.

I'd rather he play flawless defense and have 2 points this year.

His season has been weird. In the preseason he was making dumb mistakes like always, then once the season started it was like a light was switched and he was playing really solid (the best in his entire career I'd say). The last 4 or 5 games though, he's back to "I dont want to play defense" mode, and that's bad.

Statistically though he's been very solid.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Package Butcher and Mojo. Have to be worth something.
I wouldn't trade Butcher right now unless it's for a better defenseman. If it's for an upgrade on D, then I think we can do it.

Until Smith is ready, then maybe he becomes more expendable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we are not in a playoff position by the end of next week, we most likely won't be a playoffs at the end of the season. I froget the stats, but you most of the teams in playoff positions around / just after American Thanksgiving will most likely make the playoffs, where most teams no in that position around / just after American Thanksgiving, don't make it.
Funny enough, we were in a playoff spot in 2016 and missed the playoffs anyway.

It will be hard to be in a playoff spot by Thanksgiving right now, if not just because other teams have played more games than us and I think we'll still have games in hand on most teams by then. Which isn't a bad thing for the rest of the season, but it might cause us not to be in a spot by Thanksgiving, even if we turn it around here.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
so we cant afford to play cory in 3 of 6 starts again until we are in a playoff or are completely out of it.

LoktionovMVP

Nov 1, 2018
Classic HF spitball here but would a MoJo/Brassard deal make sense to anyone else or is my half baked thought just that?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Don’t think we will be shopping Johansson and his value is low with his concussions, he was only worth a 2nd and 3rd to begin with. Best to hold onto him and hope he turns it on. It also seems like he has been a good role model for his fellow Swede in Bratt.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We absolutely shouldn’t be resigning him so we need to trade him to get some value back. If we hold him past the deadline he legit won’t have any value.

Shero can absolutely sell that he simply needs a change of scenery to get back to his Caps scoring ways.

Reactions: Blender

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
so we cant afford to play cory in 3 of 6 starts again until we are in a playoff or are completely out of it.
I don’t think we will be doing that any time soon. Hynes knows he isn’t the best goalie on the roster and will get him fired sooner than otherwise. The first game he played, was after a blowout and he was gonna play anyway at some point. The second game was the second half a back to back. The last game was after a blowout, but that’s the last time I would do that for a while. If we’re blown out with Keith, he needs to go right back to him the next game. The same way you would go right back to your clear cut starting goalie. As of this moment, I wouldn’t even play Cory on Sunday.

Sadly, we’re going to have to play him at some point, but we’ve seen enough of him for the last two weeks, that we shouldn’t have to see any more of him for this one. The bottom line is that one goalie hasn’t allowed fewer than 3 goals in 16 straight regular season starts, while the other has allowed fewer than 3 goals in 3 of his last 4 starts. One goalie has been blown out in 2 of his 3 starts this year, while the other has only been blown out twice this entire year and has started all but 3 games.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We absolutely shouldn’t be resigning him so we need to trade him to get some value back. If we hold him past the deadline he legit won’t have any value.

Shero can absolutely sell that he simply needs a change of scenery to get back to his Caps scoring ways.
Make a hockey trade and move him for some other guy that needs a change of scenery. You don't have to dump him for picks, but just get rid of him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I could care less about how the team places, come end of season, when it comes to this Hynes debacle

The guy's systems have always been **** but I gave him the benefit of having had some success with the team and Hall.

Now I begin to wonder how much better a guy like Hischier and Bratt Zacha could be doing in an actual NHL system. How our defenseman would force far less with a real NHL defensive scheme
A lot of teams are going in the same direction though, fast, attacking. So I don't think Hynes' style is that far out of step.

And while Zacha I could see performing well in a more traditional style, Bratt early last year was the prototype of our style of play, (Hall too for that matter) and Nico seemed to do just fine as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Package Butcher and Mojo. Have to be worth something.
I wouldn't move Butcher right now, if we hope to get back into the mix he is very much a key, but come trade deadline if we are not in the mix, Mojo and Butcher are 2 guys that I think will be available.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I agree, right now trading Butcher should not be on the table.

But come trade deadline if we are out of the playoff race and Smith looks like he is a lock for the team next year? A trade would make sense.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I agree, right now trading Butcher should not be on the table.

But come trade deadline if we are out of the playoff race and Smith looks like he is a lock for the team next year? A trade would make sense.

why can’t we have more than one offensive minded defensemen on our roster at once? if smith is truly a first pairing defenseman, it won’t encroach on butcher at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad