Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
I'm sure the plan was to keep Zacha down in the A for longer, but injuries.

Also he can only play 5 more games in the NHL and then waivers kick in, so if anyone is out long term or if he completely craps the bed the next few games, he's up for the rest of the year. No way he passes through waivers.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
hahaha this is so funny, hynes haters out in force, but if we somehow go on a tear for 5 games, this whole community will quickly change tunes.

i would like to be proven right, john

Reactions: Billdo

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario

He stinks

Great. Not calling you out, but Cordell never touts the defensive stats. Where are those, since he's a defenseman?

While I don't think he has been completely awful in his own zone this season like years past and I'm one of his harshest critics. He's still not a forward and the last three games have not been good for him or anyone, but hey, by all means, keep piling up those points in 7-3 and 6-1 losses though while allowing those cross ice back door tap-ins and covering the guy in the corner over the guy in the slot with the puck on his stick.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Do we know what the PP will look like with Nico and Boyle missing? I assume Wood will take Boyle's spot on PP1. Does Zacha play Nico's spot on PP1 with the 2nd unit staying the same?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Great. Not calling you out, but Cordell never touts the defensive stats. Where are those, since he's a defenseman?

While I don't think he has been completely awful in his own zone this season like years past and I'm one of his harshest critics. He's still not a forward and the last three games have not been good for him or anyone, but hey, by all means, keep piling up those points in 7-3 and 6-1 losses though while allowing those cross ice back door tap-ins and covering the guy in the corner over the guy in the slot with the puck on his stick.

Should probably change your name here to who you hate that plays in the league now, but high-danger chanees % is a defensive stat in that it measures the difference between offensive and defensive high-danger chances.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Camille the Eel

Severson also has had to deal with being paired with a declining Andy Greene, who has been toast trying to defend off the rush, and gotten burned badly on a few horrendous pinch attempts in the offensive zone.

I don’t mean to dump on Andy, who has compensated as well as can be, by using smart positioning, shot blocking, and veteran tricks like lifting opponents’ sticks for his now marked lack of mobility. But it’s not as if Sevs is paired with someone who will tend to compensate for his own (that is Sev’s) miscues.

I think it’s been a year of big growth so far for Severson.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Top 10 in the NHL in % of high danger chances he’s on the ice for. That covers “defense”. He’s done more good than bad, much much more good, in fact.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
People will still ***** and moan though

It's not hard given he still makes way too many defensive mistakes.

I'd rather he play flawless defense and have 2 points this year.

His season has been weird. In the preseason he was making dumb mistakes like always, then once the season started it was like a light was switched and he was playing really solid (the best in his entire career I'd say). The last 4 or 5 games though, he's back to "I dont want to play defense" mode, and that's bad.

Reactions: JK3

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
People will still ***** and moan though

Severson has greatly improved. I'm loving his game so far this year. Sure he has some lapses on defense, but they happen way less then last year and that's a huge positive to his game. He's also way more assertive on offense.

Cordell is still a f***ing dumbass for trying to tell us Mojo was solid by singling out the shot-attempt assist.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There's a point at which you're jumping through a shit ton of hoops to criticize Severson in isolation, when every other d-man commits unforced errors at the same or worse rate but none of them send the puck going the other way as well as he does.

The problem is the coach. It will take a hell of a win streak won in a convincing fashion for me to give Hynes a pass for the stupid system we currently have. I think the roster is actually better than people believe, not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad