Devils 2018-19 team discussion (news and notes) - part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
JQ is looking decent, as if he’ll stick. With time, you probably see some more shots from him. And Anderson was getting more confident and looking like a net crasher before he went down.

I think the shooting depth is there. But another top end shooter would be great. *something something Zacha something*

Reactions: MichaelJ

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Probably top ten solely because the Devils don't really need Tarasenko.

I don't see us giving up the assets it'll take to get him because we're much better off saving them and going after a defender.

The Devils don't need a top 6 right winger with that skill level? Didnt know we were that deep we could just turn town a scoring winger of his level.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils don't need a top 6 right winger with that skill level? Didnt know we were that deep we could just turn town a scoring winger of his level.
You can have #1 Overall for him

You hope and wish that the #1 Overall player turns into what Tarasenko currently is
Probably top ten solely because the Devils don't really need Tarasenko.

I don't see us giving up the assets it'll take to get him because we're much better off saving them and going after a defender.
The way I see it, a defenseman that's as good as Tarasenko is at his position, is gonna cost quite a bit more than Tarasenko, since he's a forward.

The defenseman we got for the same or similar package we'd give up to get Tarasenko, will probably be very good, but not great.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

You hope and wish that the #1 Overall player turns into what Tarasenko currently is

maybe but there's more to it than just how the players are currently. 1st overall is cost controlled and under team control and won't take up a spot in the expansion draft and they'd also be ~10 years younger than Tarasenko.

If the Devils were fortunate enough to get the 1st pick I think I'd take the chance on Hughes or Kakko or whoever it is just for those reasons. I'd love Tarasenko on the team but not at that cost for where the Devils are as a franchise right now.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think first overall is fair for him, but only if it's 1 for 1. If it's Tarasenko for 1st overall + some other good forward we have that's already in the NHL, that's too much for me.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't get how anyone could possibly think giving up a 1st overall for Tarasenko is anything but a f***ing disastrous idea. By the time we're ready to actually compete he'd be over 30 and he isn't even as good as many believe he is

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't get how anyone could possibly think giving up a 1st overall for Tarasenko is anything but a ****ing disastrous idea. By the time we're ready to actually compete he'd be over 30 and he isn't even as good as many believe he is
On second thought, first overall for Tarasenko, I probably wouldn't do it. If it were somewhere around 5th-10th that would be fine.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Zacha sets up players. Those players don't finish.

*Zacha behind the net*
"ZACHA SUCKS AT FINISHING"

You'd think a guy who is actually good at setting players up would have at lease ONE assist through 26 games. He is an offensive blackhole and our least effective forward offensively

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
On second thought, first overall for Tarasenko, I probably wouldn't do it. If it were somewhere around 5th-10th that would be fine.

I just can't justify that. Strictly wise maybe it'd be a good move but it just doesn't make sense with this team. I don't think we're anywhere near contending and adding Tarasenko doesn't put us much closer

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You can fixate and freak out on the specific players named all you want. I agree that Schneider is largely his own issue. But the bigger question is if the “teaching” is getting through. The coach sets the environment.

I’ve mentioned player development as nonlinear many times myself. But that mindset you chalk up to natural inclinations is exactly what you build off of. Indict the old regime all you want but the standard set by the most resilient (not even best) players absolutely led the way for lesser and younger players to get better and the idea holds true for every single consistent team in the league today. Point, McAvoy, etc. are not the players they are without good habits coming from the top down. The uneven performances of Hynes’ team as far as the basic elements of the game is not a bad streak nor growing pains. It’s a characteristic. The team only executes when their backs are against the wall, which is exactly how you characterize a lack of professionalism. You can’t automatically chalk inconsistency up to growth. It’s a team that half of the time does not know where the red line is before dumping the puck into the zone. That kind of lack of attention to detail - and it’s three years of that, coming from players or various levels of experience.

And players always know when a coach is FOS regardless of generation. It’s just when someone supposedly speaks their language the FOS realization comes too late.

This is like Lemaire making the trains run on time - I just don't believe that the Devils ice the puck at a significantly higher rate now than they did 20 years ago, relative to the league average. It's just that they lose a lot more games now because they're a worse team. They don't have a top down mindset because they don't have enough good players - it's much easier to create a culture like that when you have better players and the team wins a lot of games. So you'll say it's not a chicken or egg, which came first idea, you'll say it's something that teams develop, fine - I don't really believe there's a team that 'loses well' - I guess a team with bad goaltending might, but most people will chalk up bad goaltending to bad defense. The 2015-16 Devils lost well because they were a severely limited offensive team that played responsible defense and had a great goalie and they managed to finish with a decent record despite the fact that it's 4 years later and only 9 skaters on that team are still NHL regulars. Fine. It's possible to do.

A lot of these players are still young, and a lot of these players will learn. Some of them won't. I think the coaching staff is willing to live with the little mistakes for now as long as big things are being accomplished.

I also believe that the supposed inconsistency is because the team plays a fundamentally high-risk game. They have the offensive horses to do that and that's how they play - some nights it doesn't work and they look really bad doing it. The nights where it didn't work for the old regime is where they'd have 16 shots and score 0 or 1 goals. That looks bad too, but it's a different bad, and I think Devils fans haven't figured out the different bad yet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just can't justify that. Strictly wise maybe it'd be a good move but it just doesn't make sense with this team. I don't think we're anywhere near contending and adding Tarasenko doesn't put us much closer
If we had a better goalie (or at least added one that's a little better than Kinkaid and had a tandem of Kinkaid/average starting goalie), had a better 2C or 3C or even if Zacha produced like one and we had maybe one better defenseman to play more than Andy Greene does, we'd at least be a playoff team quite easily.

Some of you people act like we're still as bad off as we were in years 1 or 2 of Shero.

Tarasenko on this team with better goaltending and maybe one better defenseman than we currently have and a 3C that could score more than 12 or 13 points in a year, makes us a playoff team quite easily, as long as guys like Hall and other impact players stay healthy. Hell, better goaltending (Without a better defenseman) probably gets into the playoffs with Tarasenko.

And no, this doesn't mean I'd trade our 1st for Tarasenko.

Reactions: VoidCreature

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i mean...what? our top line would be hall nico tarasenko. he’s signed at 7.5 (!!!) until 2023. that’s peanuts for 30+ goals a year. i would trade #1 overall for him REAL quick and scream ‘no givsies backsies’ before i hung up the phone. wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad