Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Mueller is averaging 21:06 ice time through 2 games
He has 2 assists in 2 games
He has a 51.7 CF% matching up against top lines

not sure how anyone could find the time to complain about that, but here we are...
Meh... There's always room to improve. As I said before though, I'm THRILLED with his play so far. I'm just hoping he can keep it up for 80 more games.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree, but I still think he's holding his own. He's tentative at times, but I think experience will help him. He's relying a lot (perhaps too much) on Vatanen to break out.

As of right now, though, I'm happy with his defensive play, positioning, stick work, etc. and he just happens to work well with Vats. If he keeps his current play up, even without improving, he's good enough... at least until other teams start exploiting him. He's the best of our limited options, with room to improve. I mean, I don't think he even has a full season's worth of games under his belt yet.
See, I don't think so. In October perhaps, but as the season goes on, if he doesn't clean these things up they will become a much bigger problem than they are today. Any defensemen in the league can look like a serviceable top pairing guy with a decent partner for a game or two... But when 42 minutes on ice becomes 300 minutes on ice those glitches get magnified.

If I saw a film of Mueller as an opposing coach I'd have my wingers pressure him relentlessly.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't think Mueller is that bad with the puck, though he will put his partner in difficult situations. I don't really think he can be accused of both putting his partner in bad spots and throwing the puck away, though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair it was the same with Santini last year, looked fine the first 5-10 games on the top pairing then fell off. And I’m happy with Mueller’s play without the puck. With the puck still needs a lot of work though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
See, I don't think so. In October perhaps, but as the season goes on, if he doesn't clean these things up they will become a much bigger problem than they are today. Any defensemen in the league can look like a serviceable top pairing guy with a decent partner for a game or two... But when 42 minutes on ice becomes 300 minutes on ice those glitches get magnified.

If I saw a film of Mueller as an opposing coach I'd have my wingers pressure him relentlessly.

This is like the advice to go low and away on an opposing batter. Pressuring anyone relentlessly is the way to play against them. Against whom is it a good idea to let them have time and space?

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
To be fair it was the same with Santini last year, looked fine the first 5-10 games on the top pairing then fell off. And I’m happy with Mueller’s play without the puck. With the puck still needs a lot of work though.
On the other hand, Santini was paired with Greene. Neither could clear the zone well. Having Vats as a partner definitely helps Mueller.

Maybe the bar's set kinda low, but at this point, I think he's our best option for 1LHD. I really don't think Greene is a good option anymore and I don't think Butcher is a good match with Vatanen. Maybe it changes after a few games and other teams catch on to how to attack them. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that Mueller-Vats works out better than Greene-Vats.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
In two games I must say I’m very impressed with the play of all our centers. They may not be showing up on the score sheets however, they have played a sound all-around game. Especially Zacha and Zajac have been great. It even seems that Travis is trying some new offensive moves I haven’t see before. So far so good. Zajac does have two goals I believe. The rest will be rewarded. Taking more about Nico and Zacha.
Speaking of centers... On why Coleman switched with Boyle to center the 4th line:
Hynes gave a little more insight on the decision, and from the sound of it, the Devils could stick with the two in those spots for now.
"We were going to try Brian on the wing. He's a big, strong body. He's good on the wall coming out of the defensive zone," Hynes said. "When you look at Blake, Blake's done a very good job for us at center. He's good on face-offs. He's quick. He really is good down low defensively, where he understands how to play defense in that area. On the other side of the coin, he's a quick player and he's very good in support. When you've got some speed in the middle of the ice and you get to those breakout passes, you can be a little more on the attack."

(from Chris Ryan 7 observations from Devils' dominant win over Capitals | Kyle Palmieri's confident shooting)

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Speaking of centers... On why Coleman switched with Boyle to center the 4th line:

(from Chris Ryan 7 observations from Devils' dominant win over Capitals | Kyle Palmieri's confident shooting)

Nice little change from Hynes.

I noticed that Coleman was taking faceoffs last night, but it didn't occur to me that Coleman and Boyle had swapped positions - thought maybe they just wanted Coleman in for the faceoffs. Makes a lot of sense though given that Coleman is good defensively, faster than Boyle and BB can throw his weight around on the forecheck more as a winger.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Mueller is averaging 21:06 ice time through 2 games
He has 2 assists in 2 games
He has a 51.7 CF% matching up against top lines

not sure how anyone could find the time to complain about that, but here we are...

One thing I've learned is that we could literally be 82-0 and Stanley Cup champs and people would be like "Stafford on the fourth line over Dea?!?! Hynes is an idiot!!!".

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
You're really going way overboard on this 'rough early schedule'. If October's rough what the heck is November then? There's a lot more games, and a lot more road games then. If we had more games this month, then it's more chances for Eddie Lack to play which wouldn't be good.

11 road games vs 4 home in November with a 7-game road trip (the first of which is Oct 30) and TBL, PIT, TOR and WPG in that mix. THAT'S ROUGH.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I keep seeing everyone say this and I really don't see it at all...

He certainly hasn't been bad, but his play has a lot of holes. He has been solid along the boards and his overall defending has been good but the real problem is when he has the puck. He decisions are often slow and many times questionable.

He forces the puck over to his partner even when it is the wrong play...He has put Vatenan in couple of tough spots with on coming forecheckers.

He often seems unsure what to with the puck with long pauses. It throws off everyone and allows the opponent to establish a stronger forecheck. And he often just throws the puck away. Watch next game cause it has happen multiple times in each of the last two games...he almost freezes for a second looking for the right play and his solution is usually to throw it over toVatenan regardless of the situation.

Some of that stuff can just be experience or lack there of, but it needs to be clean up or it will be a detriment.
If this was Merril you’d be jumping through hoops.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think I know what Jim is talking about, Mueller does not look comfortable with the puck on his. Oddly he looks even less comfortable when he has time and space imo anyways.

I tend to think it's a confidence issue, skills are there, size and speed are there, maybe he's not seeing the ice well enough, but I think if he was more willing to skate the puck up he'd be very effective.

I do think the ingredients are there for him to be a top flight d-man. But he does need to bridge that gap.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
would you rather someone who thinks plays out before making them, or someone who doesn't think at all, and just reacts?

i'm hoping mueller just sees a ton of options, and he learns to narrow them down even faster as he gets more playing time.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You dont see it because it destroys your anti-Mueller narrative you've bizarrely harped on since the day the trade was made.

Mueller is going to be a solid NHL defenseman. Sorry.
Maybe he does become solid...never said anything to the contrary...what I have said before and still believe is he is nowhere close right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad