Devils 2018-19 Team Discussion (news and notes) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
  1. Because we played our first game Saturday and we still have one more day to wait for our second one
  2. Because while the NHL respects us enough to bring us over for an overseas showcase, they don’t respect us enough to make us the away team, meaning we have one fewer true home game than the rest of the league
  3. Because we have the absolute worst, most compact schedule in the league after October due to all the days off we get and it isn’t even close

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
  1. Because we played our first game Saturday and we still have one more day to wait for our second one
  2. Because while the NHL respects us enough to bring us over for an overseas showcase, they don’t respect us enough to make us the away team, meaning we have one fewer true home game than the rest of the league
  3. Because we have the absolute worst, most compact schedule in the league after October due to all the days off we get and it isn’t even close

which is why i dont get

1. why didn't the nhl make this a 2 game event an oilers home game and a devils home game.
2. have this schedule the week before the season started?

fly all the way over there to play a single game and then to fly back with a week off before their second game of the season when other teams are already on their 3rd/4th

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
which is why i dont get

1. why didn't the nhl make this a 2 game event an oilers home game and a devils home game.
2. have this schedule the week before the season started?

fly all the way over there to play a single game and then to fly back with a week off before their second game of the season when other teams are already on their 3rd/4th
So about number 1: there are two more international regular season games and they’re home-and-home for the teams that play them.

Short answer is, the league hates us and wants us to fail.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

You will find a break of this length in most Devils seasons in October. The schedule is deliberately light for NJ during this month (and indeed I think it's lighter around the league).

Because while the NHL respects us enough to bring us over for an overseas showcase, they don’t respect us enough to make us the away team, meaning we have one fewer true home game than the rest of the league

I mean I'm sure NJ ownership signed up for that.

Because we have the absolute worst, most compact schedule in the league after October due to all the days off we get and it isn’t even close

I bet it is close. Florida and Tampa Bay both had the same 4 day break without flying anywhere. It's how the NHL schedule is in October, traditionally.

Reactions: R8NJ

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah I really don't mind longer breaks while guys are still getting up to speed and getting their rust out. Last thing we need is some conditioning-related injury, and it gives Cory more time to recuperate.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Alright, that is cool we played in Sweden, but make that the last time, sucks there is hockey all around us every night and we got to keep waiting to play our second game.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah I really don't mind longer breaks while guys are still getting up to speed and getting their rust out. Last thing we need is some conditioning-related injury, and it gives Cory more time to recuperate.

maybe/definitely i’m more pessimistic, but i think we run a higher risk of injury when we have a new game starting every 15 minutes in october

Reactions: None Shall Pass

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lots of *****ing about something that isn’t really a big deal.:dunno:

Well more to the point each team's schedule has ebbs and flows, especially with all the dopey bye weeks now. At least they aren't giving us an opposite coast road trip right after Europe the way the Oilers have (at Boston and at NYR, then at WPG before their first 'real' home game.

Sure it sucks as a fan to have one game in the first nine days of the season, but heck it's probably better for the team to have some extra practices early on.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Our schedule is bad because it's bad every year, intentionally. No, that isn't a conspiracy theory either, they have been doing this for a few seasons to try and balance the schedules out around the league. Teams with less travel like us get the most back to backs and the weirdest scheduling. Teams with a lot of travel get the opposite.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Got some time to kill, so let's go with longest October breaks - I remembered 1995 based on a false memory of an argument with some Rangers fans in middle school.

1995: 4 days
1996: 4 days (twice)
1997: 5 days (and another 4 days)
1998: 4 days
1999: 5 days (and 4 days between 1st game and 2nd game)
2000: 6 days (between 1st game and 2nd game)
2001: 4 days (between 1st game and 2nd game)
2002: 5 days
2003: 4 days
2004: No season
2005: 4 days
2006: 4 days
2007: 4 days
2008: 3 days (!)
2009: 4 days
2010: 4 days
2011: 5 days
2012: No games played
2013: 3 days
2014: 2 days (!!)
2015: 2 days
2016: 2 days
2017: 6 days
2018: 4 days (twice)

I'm not sure why there was a 6 day break last season - our bye week was still in January, correct? But for the rest, it used to be customary for there to be a long-ass break between games until the NHL and NHLPA agreed on a mandatory bye week in 2013. My guess is that someone at the NHLPA spotted the fact that these long breaks were common and wanted to try to shift them to later in the season when players could use the rest, but most NHL teams would rather have a January and on crowd than an October crowd.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Yea, well the problem with this is the other teams are already rolling and getting the rust out in game situations with game speed, something that is much better than getting the rust out in practice and not at game speed.

This also can f*** us because now we have to play catch up with every team in our division and not lose to them in the process. And in the next 6 games, 3 of them against cup contenders. Actually, the next 8 games, 4 are against cup contenders.

If you go to our next 16 games, 8 games are against cup contenders. Now whether the Leafs are truly that or not is irrelevant, most hockey media consider them to be, so lets include them in there. Even if they aren't, almost half our next 16 games are against teams that can be considered cup contenders and have at least made it to the conference finals in the past 3 seasons.

That's a rough schedule and start to the season after not playing at true game speed for almost a week.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yea, well the problem with this is the other teams are already rolling and getting the rust out in game situations with game speed, something that is much better than getting the rust out in practice and not at game speed.

This also can **** us because now we have to play catch up with every team in our division and not lose to them in the process. And in the next 6 games, 3 of them against cup contenders. Actually, the next 8 games, 4 are against cup contenders.

If you go to our next 16 games, 8 games are against cup contenders. Now whether the Leafs are truly that or not is irrelevant, most hockey media consider them to be, so lets include them in there. Even if they aren't, almost half our next 16 games are against teams that can be considered cup contenders and have at least made it to the conference finals in the past 3 seasons.

That's a rough schedule and start to the season after not playing at true game speed for almost a week.

You're really going way overboard on this 'rough early schedule'. If October's rough what the heck is November then? There's a lot more games, and a lot more road games then. If we had more games this month, then it's more chances for Eddie Lack to play which wouldn't be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkauron

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013

This also can **** us because now we have to play catch up with every team in our division and not lose to them in the process. And in the next 6 games, 3 of them against cup contenders. Actually, the next 8 games, 4 are against cup contenders.

Itll be fine..... this is honestly one of the dumbest things to argue about. Islanders rangers also have 3or 4 days off this week.... it it's what it is.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Well more to the point each team's schedule has ebbs and flows, especially with all the dopey bye weeks now. At least they aren't giving us an opposite coast road trip right after Europe the way the Oilers have (at Boston and at NYR, then at WPG before their first 'real' home game.

Sure it sucks as a fan to have one game in the first nine days of the season, but heck it's probably better for the team to have some extra practices early on.
Ding ding ding. The extra practices is huge early in in the season. This all evens out. They get the benefit of more practices while having to deal with an early cramped schedule. It’s really whatever.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know how the hell to quote posts from a previously locked thread, but I see people do it all the time? One thing I never learned to do.

Anyway, to address @EdisonDevil from the last team discussion thread. I work for a small hotel resort at the beach. I'm like the maintenance guy there. We get a lot of people coming down for the holidays, so that's why I work on all holidays that don't fall on the weekend and sometimes I even go in for a bit on holidays on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad