Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
A couple of media guys have released their trophy votes and I actually think Hall might win the Hart. I know he's been getting a lot of buzz but I wasn't sure if he'd be getting a lot of first place votes over MacKinnon, Giroux, etc but it looks like he is.
When do they announce the award winners?

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think MacKinnon wins over a close vote with Hall. I think there is a gap between them and the rest of the field.

My biggest counter to MacKinnon is the other point totals. He has Rantanen with 84, Landeskog with 62 and Barrie with 57. All of them are above our next highest point leader, Nico. While i give MacKinnon a ton of props i still think Hall was more important to the Devils making the playoffs.

Granted all of these guys teams likely dont make the playoffs without them, i just think the disparity between Hall and our second or third leading scorers is to high not to show Halls value to this team.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
My biggest counter to MacKinnon is the other point totals. He has Rantanen with 84, Landeskog with 62 and Barrie with 57. All of them are above our next highest point leader, Nico. While i give MacKinnon a ton of props i still think Hall was more important to the Devils making the playoffs.

Granted all of these guys teams likely dont make the playoffs without them, i just think the disparity between Hall and our second or third leading scorers is to high not to show Halls value to this team.

I personally think Hall should win, but I also haven't watched MacKinnon nearly as much to know the subtle things that I know Hall has done. I just think MacKinnon wins based off of what I am reading.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Just gonna throw this out there... Vatanen had a career high in points this year while playing harder minutes than he ever has. Anyone who still has reservations about how great this trade was for us should be examined. He’s so underrated at the moment.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just gonna throw this out there... Vatanen had a career high in points this year while playing harder minutes than he ever has. Anyone who still has reservations about how great this trade was for us should be examined. He’s so underrated at the moment.
The only people with reservations are fans with man-love for Henrique... and maybe Aethon who would prefer better defensive ability.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When do they announce the award winners?

The top 3 vote getters (aka the finalists) were announced last year on May 1st. If my memory serves me correctly, the NHL will gradually announce the finalists for each award over a week. Ie, Calder one day, Norris the next, etc etc.

Reactions: EdisonDevil

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
The top 3 vote getters (aka the finalists) were announced last year on May 1st. If my memory serves me correctly, the NHL will gradually announce the finalists for each award over a week. Ie, Calder one day, Norris the next, etc etc.
Thank you. You’re a scholar and a gentleman.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ

He had 32 pts between ANA and NJ this year, but had previous seasons of 37 and 38 pts.

Still a great trade.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And he carries around Andy Greene (not sure how he doesn't pass out from fatigue with how tired he is!:sarcasm:) while doing it.

I think this is a fair trade that worked out for both teams and we're both in the playoffs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He had 32 pts between ANA and NJ this year, but had previous seasons of 37 and 38 pts.

Still a great trade.

Let's not forget he also had shoulder surgery to end last year and likely spent the whole summer rehabbing.

A fully healthy summer could go a long way in him taking the next step next year.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
For game 2 (if Johansson is ready):
Hall-Hischier-Maroon
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Grabner

I would take Boyle out too but I don't think Hynes would do that, if he did it would be for Bratt:
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Maroon-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Coleman-Grabner

Regardless I think the defense should have Severson coming back in and I think Butcher should play more.

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy

Reactions: Jets012

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Long-term we need to figure out a way to acquire a top pair Dman and a 2nd line center. The lack of a real offensive threat with a 2nd line hurts significantly and obviously the Dman is a need everyone knows about at this point.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Ahhhh so nervous.

For Game 2 already??? I feel like the team will adjust and it will be a more level representation next game.

Getting in some more skill willl help, IMO. We have to find a way to get Bratt in there because the void of skill at 4th line is really showing now relative to Tampa's depth.

EDIT: Ah crap, i missed the time on the post... game 1 jitters. haha. :)

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
For game 2 (if Johansson is ready):
Hall-Hischier-Maroon
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Grabner

I would take Boyle out too but I don't think Hynes would do that, if he did it would be for Bratt:
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha-Palmieri
Maroon-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Coleman-Grabner

Regardless I think the defense should have Severson coming back in and I think Butcher should play more.

Greene-Vatanen
Butcher-Severson
Mueller-Lovejoy

That should be the D-Core and agreed, Boyle should come out

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Long-term we need to figure out a way to acquire a top pair Dman and a 2nd line center. The lack of a real offensive threat with a 2nd line hurts significantly and obviously the Dman is a need everyone knows about at this point.

It will be done once Ray gets Karlsson in a trade and signs Tavares :sarcasm:

Or just signs Carlson and Tavares :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad