Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VII - Playoff push; read warning in OP first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Moore had 19 CF and 24 CA. By your standard Moore was fine as well. On the season Severson has a CF% of 49.51% and Moore has a CF% of 48.51%. By what standard are you claiming Moore is horrific compared with Severson?

Well considering they've played most of the year together why wouldn't their CF% be really close? I mean seriously let's think objectively.

If you look at their career CF% or just their CF% the last two years, you'll see on guy is way over his recent history CF% wise, and the other guy is right around if not lower than his recent history. I'll let you think who those are.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Damon Severson On-ice save % 5 on 5 is 90.7.

Butcher 90.5%
Greene 91.3
Vatanen 89.5
Moore 92.1
Lovejoy 92.5

And next year Moore/Lovejoy will probably have the worst and Severson/Vatanen the best. 5 on 5 on-ice save% has proven to be a pretty random stat. There's very few players that keep it consistently low and high year to year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well considering they've played most of the year together why wouldn't their CF% be really close? I mean seriously let's think objectively.

If you look at their career CF% or just their CF% the last two years, you'll see on guy is way over his recent history CF% wise, and the other guy is right around if not lower than his recent history. I'll let you think who those are.
Of course they are similar. The "Moore is horrific and Severson is a top defenseman" narrative hasn't been supported by anything, and the usual stats that get posted to support the narrative that Severson is great, Moore isn't horrific in.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
And next year Moore/Lovejoy will probably have the worst and Severson/Vatanen the best. 5 on 5 on-ice save% has proven to be a pretty random stat. There's very few players that keep it consistently low and high year to year.
Well Moore has for the past 3 years with the Devils. So do you also think Moore is dragging down Severson?

Severson and Vatanen together. Dear god, no lol.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So people are just going to put Moore down, because Severson is having a not so good season, with nothing backing up thattheory, and even the eye test will say otherwise.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Edit : Delete

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils sign G Cam Johnson to an entry-level deal

That's odd.

Most teams only carry three goalies in the AHL/ECHL. Right now, the Devils have Blackwood signed through next year, Appleby is an RFA, and Cormier is finishing his last year.

So it looks like they're either not keeping Appleby or not signing Cormier then.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So people are just going to put Moore down, because Severson is having a not so good season, with nothing backing up thattheory, and even the eye test will say otherwise.
I think Severson is better than Moore, and Moore has been overplayed on this team at times for sure. Moore is a decent depth defenseman that thrives with open ice (4on4, 3on3, etc.) but isn't very good defensively. Moore being worse than Severson and Moore being horrific aren't the same thing though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Moore has largely been better this year than he was his first two seasons here, but lately he's been terrible. He's a bad partner for a risk taking guy because he takes risks himself, and he's not good enough defensively to be used on the PK or in all-purpose situations. Mueller is much steadier and would be a better fit for Moore's current deployment.

They want to play him as a two-way guy when he's really a high risk, jump up in the play, push the tempo kind of guy. Even when he's playing to his strengths, Vatanen and Butcher are both much better at that than Moore is.

He's a square peg trying to be fit into a round hole, when we have a round peg sitting in the press box and much better square pegs already in the lineup. There's really no reason to bring him back.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I think Severson is better than Moore, and Moore has been overplayed on this team at times for sure. Moore is a decent depth defenseman that thrives with open ice (4on4, 3on3, etc.) but isn't very good defensively. Moore being worse than Severson and Moore being horrific aren't the same thing though.

But Moore hasn't been horific. I will argue it's his best season so far. He's stuck in a role that isn't really a great fit for him, yet he has been okay. I wish we had Moore instead of Severson on the PP.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
But Moore hasn't been horific. I will argue it's his best season so far. He's stuck in a role that isn't really a great fit for him, yet he has been okay. I wish we had Moore instead of Severson on the PP.
That's what I was saying, Moore hasn't been horrific. It's a nonsense narrative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lot's of proof to prove that you have this completely backwards.

Moore has made every single player he's played with worse since he has been here and this has been pretty well documented. If you play with Moore the chances against go up. There is no denying it.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Lot's of proof to prove that you have this completely backwards.

Moore has made every single player he's played with worse since he has been here and this has been pretty well documented. If you play with Moore the chances against go up. There is no denying it.

Well seems that this year is an outlier. Seems like Severson play is dragging down Moore, more than Moore dragging down Severson.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Blackwood'' replacement for when he takes Kinkaid's job who will take Cory's job....confusing.

lol pretty much. whenever the Devils sign someone alarm bells go off in their heads

literally every time we sign some nobody AHL player or a mediocre level college prospect they pencil him in the first line lool

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Geez. 1.66 GAA and .935 sv % in 34 games his sophomore year. Was North Dakota really good in 2015-16 or is he just a good goalie?

His stats tapered off a little since then, but still respectable

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I totally agree, but that false narrative of him being a detriment to Severson is completely false. People just don't want to blame Severson deficiencies on Severson.
Come on...Moore has played with lots of differet partners and the player who plays with him has always gotten worse. He has been the worst CF% Dman on the team his entire time here.

You can blame Severson for whatever you'd like, but there is no question that Moore doesn't help. And really having the two together is a bigger problem.

But really there is no other choice. Our pieces don't really fit well.
Shero has done a very poor job addressing the Defense. It is jerryrigged. An odd collection of players that at best don't really fit and at worst are a distaster. You can't even break up Moore and Severson because there is really no alternative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Top pair is two guys 5'10 and under 190

Second pair is two guys who are best suited for offense

Third pair is small rookie that isn't the fleetest of foot and old stay at home guy that simply can't skate

At this point that is really is the best combo'sthat can be put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad