Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VII - Playoff push; read warning in OP first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
They weren't important. It was literally the easiest portion of the schedule in the second half...thats what I am trying to tell you. NYR, montreal were two of three scratches.

But they were must wins... we lose those games and we're on the outside looking in.

Jesus Christ, am I writing in Chinese or you're just avoiding the obvious? Those games, despite the opponents, were our most important games of the entire year.

Purposely avoiding this matter is Jim being Jim. If it'll wreck your point, you'll just keep on harping the same string until it sounds differen... but it won't.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not sure what they'll do. I would imagine the matchup will dictate the decision.

Severson has 5 points in 11 games against Tampa in his career. You can't keep that out of the lineup
if it's the matchup...Boston might be another story.

My guess is the Devils brass is so fed-up with Severson right now, with last night only serving as reinforcement of that anger, that Severson will be in the press box when the playoffs begin regardless of whom the opponent is.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
No, what Severson did was throw a BLIND, NO LOOK PASS, directly into the slot of the defensive zone!

Severson_FAil.gif

Notice how Severson's back is to the play?!?!?!?!?

Notice how Stafford isnt even in the picture frame?

Do you know why Stafford ISNT in the picture frame? I'll answer that, it's because he's expecting Severson to do what defenseman are trained to do, and move the puck along the wall. I'm sure Stafford was the most surprised person in the entire building when Riverboat Gambling Captain Severson went for the no look behind the back defensive zone pass instead. Stafford is NOT to blame here.
How can anyone defend Severson on that play. Like seriously come on people

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My guess is the Devils brass is so fed-up with Severson right now, with last night only serving as reinforcement of that anger, that Severson will be in the press box when the playoffs begin regardless of whom the opponent is.
If that is how our brass makes decisions we are f***ed.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Dude Vatanen has done the same **** at least half a dozen times this season.
And I don't see anyone defending Vatanen when he makes stupid plays.

Yesterday I got accused of only calling out Severson when he plays bad. I called out Mirco. I blame Mirco on the first goal, and I said during the 1st period that he was shaky.

I guess some people call it like it is, and others let their blind love hinder their view.

And when Severson had that good stretch after the all star game, I was praising him. Do you think I actively cheer for Severson to suck? Nope.

But realistically, he's a liability.

Santini got laughed at by the usual suspects (posters who think Severson is untouchable) and Santini was playing solid defense, and was producing offensively.

I don't cheer for our players to suck, If Severson can pick up his play in the playoffs and play up to his potential, I will be the first one on here giving praise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If we are talking egregious turnovers...

Let's talk about Greene, Vatanen Zacha in their own just the last couple of weeks...people like to highlight some but not others... it's weird shit.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The hate some people have for a good young player is honestly revolting. The hell is wrong with you people?

The minority who can actually acknowledge the reality are making the same judgements as our coaching staff... which should lead you to believe that you might be in denial and not the other way around :dunno:

Reactions: glenwo2

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's say he's a good young player and ignore everything showing he's been awful.

Severson regressed this year.
It's been his best season so far. 9 goals, carrying a pairing playing more 5v5 time than he ever has.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

Let's talk about Greene, Vatanen Zacha in their own just the last couple of weeks...people like to highlight some but not others... it's weird ****.
You probably missed it, but Zacha was given a ton of shit on his turnover. You know what also happened? Some people were blaming LJ on that goal.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Let's say he's a good young player and ignore everything showing he's been awful.

Severson regressed this year.
A regressed Severson is still better than Moore or Mueller. You yourself were singing his praises earlier in the year when he put together a multi month stretch of excellent play. But ~10 subpar games means he shouldn’t be in at all. Whatever dude.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The minority who can actually acknowledge the reality are making the same judgements as our coaching staff... which should lead you to believe that you might be in denial and not the other way around :dunno:

So Mueller was bad when the coach was scratching him constantly?

I wanted Mueller to play while he kept getting scratched but I must have been wrong....or am I now right about that? Appeals to authority can get complicated.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
i remember tsn had vic rauter call a game in 07 vs tampa …i lost my ****

even called them to rip someone a new one….he should be no where near calling a hockey game ever

i dont even hate the guy…just bad for hockey

This made me laugh because I totally remember this.

Great guy for curling but hockey....

Hell no

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Severson has 5 points in 11 games against Tampa in his career. You can't keep that out of the lineup
if it's the matchup...Boston might be another story.

If that is how our brass makes decisions we are ****ed.

Hmmmm........ I dunno.

I think making decisions to bench a guy who will do this in the Stanley Cup playoffs:

Severson_FAil.gif

Is a lot smarter than our brass making the decision to simply play a guy who has 5 points in 11 games that took place over FOUR different seasons against a team.

Especially given Severson is a -2 with 1 point in 3 games against Tampa this year, even though the Devils outscored Tampa 8 to 4 in non PP goals.

But hey, that's just me.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nothing you’re saying is evidence based or remotely close to reality. Weren’t you the guy who said Zacha didn’t even have a chance of becoming a top 6 player after a couple bad games?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Let's talk about Greene, Vatanen Zacha in their own just the last couple of weeks...people like to highlight some but not others... it's weird ****.

Yeah but the players you're mentioning are wayyyyyyyy more important then the guy you're trying to cuddle.

Hynes isn't a idiot, despite your opinion, and won't leave someone who makes us a better team in the pressbox just for shits and giggles.

There's reasons behind every single benching and until Severson can get it in his head that he isn't playing pond hockey, he'll continu to but heads with our coaching staff.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hmmmm........ I dunno.

I think making decisions to bench a guy who will do this in the Stanley Cup playoffs:

Severson_FAil.gif

Is a lot smarter than making the decision to simply play a guy who has 5 points in 11 games that took place over FOUR different seasons against a team.

Especially given Severson is a -2 with 1 point in 3 games this year when the Devils outscored Tampa 8 to 4 in non PP goals. But hey, that's just me.
Are we benching Greene and Vatanen too? Oh and Zacha cause they all have done it in the past two weeks.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Nothing you’re saying is evidence based or remotely close to reality. Weren’t you the guy who said Zacha didn’t even have a chance of becoming a top 6 player after a couple bad games?

Absolutely not... I said Zacha was playing like dog shit and would probably be a 2nd/3rd line tweener and that's exactly what he is.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah but the players you're mentioning are wayyyyyyyy more important then the guy you're trying to cuddle.

Hynes isn't a idiot, despite your opinion, and won't leave someone who makes us a better team in the pressbox just for ****s and giggles.

There's reasons behind every single benching and until Severson can get it in his head that he isn't playing pond hockey, he'll continu to but heads with our coaching staff.
What was the reason for Mullers month long benching?

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

I don’t know. Thing with Severson, at least to my eye, is that even when he’s not getting burned, he has too many occasions where he could have easily been. A good example of this was in our last win against Pitt. I mean he was being ultra aggressive pinching in a tied game with very little time left. It’s one thing doing that the first month of the season but in such a critical game, it just showed no awareness whatsoever and there were a couple other instances of this recently. I’m really not surprised he’s been benched. They clearly hold him to a high standard and he’s apparently not meeting it for them.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So Mueller was bad when the coach was scratching him constantly?

I wanted Mueller to play while he kept getting scratched but I must have been wrong....or am I now right about that? Appeals to authority can get complicated.
Mueller has less then 70 games under his belt. Severson has 270+. Mueller was new on this team, and needed time to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad