Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VI - The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm still pissed at Severson-Moore pairing. What a gongshow it was. I haven't seen a worse defense showdown so far this year. And calling it defense is actually me being nice

Eh. Anaheim on a back-to-back is their worst nightmare.

Moore is horrendous when he's forced to go to work in his own corners and Severson isn't exactly good at it either. It's not a surprise they were going to struggle with a big heavy team that really stretches the rules as far as interference, hooking, holding, etc.

Devils couldn't afford to play from behind last night. Once Anaheim grabbed the league, they started to slowly bend the rules until they could get away with just about anything. Devils weren't fresh enough to be able to generate through that.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
kind of stating the obvious, but we DESPERATELY need an upgrade at LHD this summer. I am confident that Shero will go out and get us someone, because we cannot continue to throw Greene out there for 20+ minutes a night.
ideally Greene is pushed to 3rd pairing. We desperately need a top pairing LHD. We have to much quantity and not enough quality right now

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm still pissed at Severson-Moore pairing. What a gongshow it was. I haven't seen a worse defense showdown so far this year. And calling it defense is actually me being nice
That pairing was not good last night but a couple of things:

1. they were terribly misused. (Not just them but all of them)

2. The entire defense got no support last night.

Just look at the shots 38-17...and the kicker 5 of those 17 shots came from the Defense. So the forwards managed a whopping 12 shots, with 4 power plays and a 5 on 3.

Easy to blame the defensemen because they are the point of contact but the entire forward Corp was atrocious, beaten up physically like they were children against men and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
hard time pinning it on just defense last night. no sustained pressure, less than 20 shots, getting physically pushed off the puck all night and not fighting back at all. it's like they went into the game thinking it would be easy after the last 3 not realizing they actually needed to show up. hopefully it snaps them back into reality for the next 3

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Build a team based on forwards and forward depth
blame the defense when the forwards don't show up... that's a nifty little trick.

David Copperfield would be impressed with that slieght of hand.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
That pairing was not good last night but a couple of things:

1. they were terribly misused. (Not just them but all of them)

2. The entire defense got no support last night.

Just look at the shots 38-17...and the kicker 5 of those 17 shots came from the Defense. So the forwards managed a whopping 12 shots, with 4 power plays and a 5 on 3.

Easy to blame the defensemen because they are the point of contact but the entire forward Corp was atrocious, beaten up physically like they were children against men and they should be ashamed of themselves.
I know, and that's why Santini would have helped a lot in this game with his frame. Our defense could not break out of the zone, that didn't help.

And those 2 first goals.should have never happened. We dug ourselves im a hole that we could have easily avoided. If we don't allow those 2 goals, it's a totally different ball game.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
The left side needs an upgrade and Greene is a bottom pair dman right now. Maybe Butcher can play second pair minutes but my god, we need Moore off this team and need a rock on the left side with Vatanen.

Hopefully we buy out Lovejoy this offseason. Santini should be there now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Santini wouldn't have helped. Not one of the forwards showed up. Hall 1 shot in 24 minutes of ice time...what the f*** was he doing for 24 minutes? Certainly not playing defense.

You can go right down the line and do the same thing for every forward.

Defensenmen are sitting ducks when they get zero forward support.

Last edited:

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
The offense didn't show up, but those 2 first goals should have never happened. Being down by 2 goals after one period vs Anaheim didn't give us a lot of chance.

Then, that 5 on 3 was terrible. I don't understand why we didn't put Hall anf Palms on their off wings.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hischier 0 shots
Noesen 0 shots
Coleman 0 shots
Stafford 0 shots
Hall 1 shot
Boyle 1 shot
Zajac 1 shot
Maroon 1 shot
Gibbons 1 shot
Grabner 1 shot
Wood 1 shot
7 shots from 11 forwards.

Palmieri 5 shots

One of these kids was doing his own thing.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
no one player would have made a difference last night they couldn't get any offense going at all. but overall i would like to see mueller and santini get shots to play

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Offense seemed more or less stifled by the Ducks last night, couldn't create space needed to operate. On the rare occasions that we did, we botched opportunities like the 5 on 3 so horribly it was ridiculous.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Going back to the discussion about a subscription to the Athletic, I saw a 50% off offer and just decided to do it - 30 bucks for a year. It's pretty good, especially since we have our own dedicated writer. You're not getting anything groundbreaking, but it seems like at least one Devils specific article a day, as well as a lot of general NHL. Obviously you have access to other teams and sports too.

The articles so far: an article about Johansson and his relationship with Nik Backstrom - specifically in regards to his concussions and how Backstrom went through some a few years ago.

Yesterday was an article that statistically (both in points and advanced metrics) Vats has been playing like a #1 defenseman since coming over to NJ. On the quantifyable list, he's up there with the pernially Norris vote-getters.

The first article I have not had a chance to yet is about Brian Boyle and him bringing cancer awareness around the league and the support he's gotten.

My impressions so far is that the articles are interesting and contain some background content you may not get from other sites. No groundbreaking news, but if you're looking for more content, it's definitely enjoyable. If you can find a 50 or 40% off offer, it's definitely worth the 30 bucks or so for a year. Once your year is over, the price ups to 60 a year, not sure it would be worth it at that price .

That's my two cents, just thought I'd let you guys know because some of you were curious like I was .

Reactions: I Hate Tie DOMI

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The shot totals don't tell half the story of how physically dominated they were. The ducks were bigger, faster and stronger and the Devils really had no answer.

We couldn't even roll our top pairing against Perry and Getzlaf...when you have two forwards like that and your top pairing is 5'10 185 and 5'10 190 you have zero chance... somebody forgot to send Anaheim the memo about the "New NHL"

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The shot totals don't tell half the story of how physically dominated they were. The ducks were bigger, faster and stronger and the Devils really had no answer.

We couldn't even roll our top pairing against Perry and Getzlaf...when you have two forwards like that and your top pairing is 5'10 185 and 5'10 190 you have zero chance... somebody forgot to send Anaheim the memo about the "New NHL"

Maybe the Devils were playing back to back games on a west coast trip after being worn down from playing 4 of the top teams in the entire league consecutively and flying to multiple cities day after day. f*** fatigue and exhaustion though, these guys are robots, right?

Reactions: MadDog172430

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe the Devils were playing back to back games on a west coast trip after being worn down from playing 4 of the top teams in the entire league consecutively and flying to multiple cities day after day. **** fatigue and exhaustion though, these guys are robots, right?
Back to back games in the same town that they have been in for days? That's a problem? If they are exhausted after that there is zero chance they'll be able to survive the rigors of the playoffs.

But let me get out of the way I don't want run over by excuse train.

Reactions: kyle evs48

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Maybe the Devils were playing back to back games on a west coast trip after being worn down from playing 4 of the top teams in the entire league consecutively and flying to multiple cities day after day. **** fatigue and exhaustion though, these guys are robots, right?
Nah, it wasn't fatigue. Let's stop making excuses, they just didn't show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad