Devils 2016-17 team discussion (players news & notes) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So many options with the team right now.

I think its safe to say that Auvitu has officially made the top 6.

My opening night roster:

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - Lappin
Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Auvitu - Santini

Schneider
Wedgewood

Scratches: Josefson, Quincey, Merrill

Sent down to Albany: Kinkaid, Wood, Blandisi, Helgeson, Gazdic, Pelley
Sent to Juniors: Speers

Is ownership ok with having guys on one way contracts like Kinkaid and Helgeson in the minors?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So many options with the team right now.

I think its safe to say that Auvitu has officially made the top 6.

My opening night roster:

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Cammalleri - Zacha - Lappin
Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP

Greene - Severson
Moore - Lovejoy
Auvitu - Santini

Schneider
Wedgewood

Scratches: Josefson, Quincey, Merrill

Sent down to Albany: Kinkaid, Wood, Blandisi, Helgeson, Gazdic, Pelley
Sent to Juniors: Speers

Is ownership ok with having guys on one way contracts like Kinkaid and Helgeson in the minors?
Quincey wasn't signed to be a healthy scratch.

Santini probably gets sent back.

I'm sure ownership is fine with those guys in the AHL and on one way contracts. Their salaries are a drop in the bucket.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I just think the skill and speed gap between Palmieri and Zajac/Boucher is so noticeable. Palmieri is electric going up the ice, is creative, has a blistering one timer...And he's stuck with guys who in my mind can't keep up. I don't dislike Boucher but he's very slow and not a great fit with Palmieri. And Zajac is Zajac. Very solid player, incredibly important to this team, but mediocre at best offensively and not very fast or creative himself. I don't think Palmieri is going to be maximized if he's stuck with those two. Blandisi is nearly as fast if not faster than Palmieri and has the creativity to maximize Palmieri's ability. And the same can be said of Zacha (yes, I know it's early to make this claim. I believe he's ready).

Cammalleri could work nicely with Zajac as he's a fairly similar player to Parise.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
how is that people seeing what they want to see? he just posted stats. that's 92nd in the league for centers 5v5.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's seeing what you want to see to think Blandisi is going to be a better alternative for Palmieri than Zajac, but we'll let time play it out, shall we? See what the coaching staff does. I just won't be surprised if Zajac continues to play with Palmieri more than Blandisi does.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i dont think they will put blandisi with palmieri early on. but i dont think palmieri really needs zajac either.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
i dont think they will put blandisi with palmieri early on. but i dont think palmieri really needs zajac either.

Palmieri doesn't need Zajac, but Zajac and Palmieri work fine together and I think that Palmieri helps Zajac produce more. Right now, I don't see a compelling reason why they would be broken up.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Obviously Palmieri helps Zajac produce more...He's the vastly superior offensive talent. That's my whole point. Zajac in no way helps Palmieri offensively. He should be on a line with guys who mesh with him and have play styles that fit.

I don't understand blind allegiance to certain players/line combinations. Especially when you criticize blind allegiance to other players (Josefson). No need to be so defensive because I'm suggesting we try to maximize the ability of our players. If you feel that Zajac-Palmieri should stay together, provide some measurable reasons why they should. The metrics at even strength say they should probably be spit up. And the eye test (for me at least) certainly tells me that.

I'm not set on who should be used with Palmieri, but guys with offensive creativity and speed seem to make sense. Cammalleri could work too, I'm not set on Blandisi. I think he clearly should be on the team, but I wouldn't be shocked or upset if he starts in the AHL.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
They are rennovating the locker room thats why the corner entrance. I'm sure they will go back to the bench entrance at the home opener.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They are rennovating the locker room thats why the corner entrance. I'm sure they will go back to the bench entrance at the home opemer.

I think it might be permanent.

I remember TG mentioning early last season that they were renovating the practice locker room and were gonna make it the main locker room and the players would come out that way before and after games. They finished the practice locker room last year, but didn't start coming out of the other entrance.

Guess they figured they'd wait until this year to start.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I think it might be permanent.

I remember TG mentioning early last season that they were renovating the practice locker room and were gonna make it the main locker room and the players would come out that way before and after games. They finished the practice locker room last year, but didn't start coming out of the other entrance.

Guess they figured they'd wait until this year to start.

Interesting, that is indeed strange then.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The Lightning released James Wisnewski from his PTO after he looked pretty good. I wonder if we would've looked into him if we hadn't just signed Quincy.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
How do you guys feel about the state of your defence with the loss of Larsson? I'm a big fan of Schneider, and was curious if you guys are expecting a slight drop in his numbers due to losing your best defender. Lovejoy is good defensively but definitely not on Adam's level, and I don't know a lot about Severson.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
How do you guys feel about the state of your defence with the loss of Larsson? I'm a big fan of Schneider, and was curious if you guys are expecting a slight drop in his numbers due to losing your best defender. Lovejoy is good defensively but definitely not on Adam's level, and I don't know a lot about Severson.

I don't think there's a consensus, but my feeling is we shouldn't see much change from last year. Quincey and Lovejoy both played top four for playoff teams last year, and I think our overall balance on the back end is better than last year.

If Auvitu is legit and Santini makes the team our D might even be better than last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad