Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Some may have seen Shero's comments but I'll post them anyway.

“Play harder,†Shero said, forcefully. “Really. Play [bleeping] harder. That’s what I’m talking about. There’s a will they need. There’s a passion and emotion to our game. How many scrums have we been involved with? No one is mad at us. There’s got to be pushback in your game and pride in your game. Someone takes your lunch money, what the hell? It’s not good. That’s something we established last year. It’s a tenacity to your game. Our team last year, we never gave up. That, to me, is what you’re trying to build, and that’s pride.â€

“The way we’re playing now is too slow, and we look slow,†Shero said. “We’re not on our toes … Last night is exactly what makes you lose seven in a row and, until you fix it, who knows how many it will be.

“Whether it’s accountability or whether it’s the passion, people talk about leadership or character, and I don’t buy that for a second,†Shero added. “I have one word for anybody that plays for this team or works for this team: You have to have pride in anything you do.â€

“John’s a really good coach, without a doubt,†Shero said. “People around the league recognize that, and so do I.

“I can’t even stress, I’m 100 percent supportive of our coach,†Shero added. “This is the guy I hired. Where some of these guys have come from, they fire the coaches all the time. Here, obviously, [former president and GM] Lou [Lamoriello] did that quite a bit, and with good success. But John is the right coach for us. I really believe in what he’s doing and how he does things.â€

“In the span of two minutes, this whole thing turned,†Shero said. “That’s where I’m talking about resolve.â€

“Last year was easy,†Shero said he told the group in training camp. “Trust me, this is going to be a test, because while I do think we have better talent, if we lose an ounce of that work ethic, we are in trouble. Because skill is going to get you so far. Will is the other part, which those guys brought.â€

“They don’t have to score,†Shero said. [Plmieri and Henrique] “They do have to play a certain way. They do have to have a certain commitment all over the ice. I can’t rely on [rookie] Miles Wood, who’s two years out of prep hockey, to make a difference. Thank God he is, I guess, to a certain extent.

“We want our fans to have pride in this team,†Sher added. “They did last year. We were off to a great start, played great at home. Now, over five, six weeks, we’ve given it back. And that’s not good.â€

Love his comments

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Damn Shero not mincing words. Shots fired at Palms and Rico.

I still don't see how Hynes escapes any kind of copability. If he thinks the players arent playing hard enough, part of that is on the coach. That is simply part of the job.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That's refreshing to hear Shero say that, now if ANYONE not in an upstairs office would like to show the same resolve we could maybe get turned in the right direction. I don't see the fire from anyone from Hynes on down though. I'm not in the fire Hynes camp but can without question see why people want him gone. I'm more concerned about the lack of any player aside from Wood who has said they're mad so far. Nobody seems to give a crap.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Cory's awful goaltending (that's exactly what it is by a starting goalies standards this year) is probably making Hynes look worse than he really is.

But I'm starting to think that Cory's goaltending last year really made Hynes look better than he really is too.

Yeah, I'd say both are probably true. Coaches live and die by their goaltenders.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
I don't disagree at all, just saying that there's a definite correlation between team save percentage and a coach who's on the hot seat or, inversely, a Jack Adams candidate.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Some may have seen Shero's comments but I'll post them anyway.

“Play harder,†Shero said, forcefully. “Really. Play [bleeping] harder. That’s what I’m talking about. There’s a will they need. There’s a passion and emotion to our game. How many scrums have we been involved with? No one is mad at us. There’s got to be pushback in your game and pride in your game. Someone takes your lunch money, what the hell? It’s not good. That’s something we established last year. It’s a tenacity to your game. Our team last year, we never gave up. That, to me, is what you’re trying to build, and that’s pride.â€

“The way we’re playing now is too slow, and we look slow,†Shero said. “We’re not on our toes … Last night is exactly what makes you lose seven in a row and, until you fix it, who knows how many it will be.

“Whether it’s accountability or whether it’s the passion, people talk about leadership or character, and I don’t buy that for a second,†Shero added. “I have one word for anybody that plays for this team or works for this team: You have to have pride in anything you do.â€

“John’s a really good coach, without a doubt,†Shero said. “People around the league recognize that, and so do I.

“I can’t even stress, I’m 100 percent supportive of our coach,†Shero added. “This is the guy I hired. Where some of these guys have come from, they fire the coaches all the time. Here, obviously, [former president and GM] Lou [Lamoriello] did that quite a bit, and with good success. But John is the right coach for us. I really believe in what he’s doing and how he does things.â€

“In the span of two minutes, this whole thing turned,†Shero said. “That’s where I’m talking about resolve.â€

“Last year was easy,†Shero said he told the group in training camp. “Trust me, this is going to be a test, because while I do think we have better talent, if we lose an ounce of that work ethic, we are in trouble. Because skill is going to get you so far. Will is the other part, which those guys brought.â€

“They don’t have to score,†Shero said. [Plmieri and Henrique] “They do have to play a certain way. They do have to have a certain commitment all over the ice. I can’t rely on [rookie] Miles Wood, who’s two years out of prep hockey, to make a difference. Thank God he is, I guess, to a certain extent.

“We want our fans to have pride in this team,†Shero aded. “They did last year. We were off to a great start, played great at home. Now, over five, six weeks, we’ve given it back. And that’s not good.â€

Boom.

Refreshing.

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
Aka ignore his lack of NHL skill?

He's only going to hurt the team and make a bad defense even worse.

We're 0-8-2 with Merrill in the lineup, who brings us absolutely nothing but garbage in every aspect of the game. Helgeson can at least use his size effectively at times and block some shots. He's a left shot and I don't want to throw developing D into the dumpster fire right now.

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 6h6 hours ago
Shero compared this job w/#Devils to stops working with expansion Senators or Predators in their infancy.

Declaring the team in a total rebuild. I'm guessing Cory will be shipped out.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
About damn time Ray. This is what needed to be said.

Now that Hynes has his vote of confidence, I hope other guys realize that they can continue the pity party or GTFO!

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
And what's happening right now?

We wouldn't be taking Drew Doughty out of the lineup for Helgeson. Taking Merrill or Quincey out for him is not the end of the world.

Some of the reactions here are ridiculous lol. Is he going to magically make us better? No, obviously not. But stop acting like putting him in would ruin a good thing. This team has lost 7 in a row and won 3 out of their last, what, 17? Helgeson isn't ruining **** this team is already at rock bottom for ****s sake.

Taking Merrill or Quiney out for him makes the team worse than it already is. Stop acting like Helgeson is going to make things better when he will make things worse. He sucks at skating, he is not good defensively and is horrible when it comes to defensive IQ at the NHL level and has no offense to his game.

He's a garbage ****ing player who has no business being on even a bad NHL team like the Devils right now.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Taking Merrill or Quiney out for him makes the team worse than it already is. Stop acting like Helgeson is going to make things better when he will make things worse. He sucks at skating, he is not good defensively and is horrible when it comes to defensive IQ at the NHL level and has no offense to his game.

He's a garbage ****ing player who has no business being on even a bad NHL team like the Devils right now.

I never said he's going to make things better. I said how the **** could it get worse? Please tell me. Because if putting Helgeson in the lineup makes us worse than losing 7 straight, only winning 3 out of our last 17 or whatever it is, then I would LOVE to see that. That would be some kind of terrible to single-handily make us worse than that, especially playing bottom-pairing minutes.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Considering the team has been soft to play against the hulk call up makes sense at the very least he'll clear the screens in the crease

Meh. It reminds me of the Gazdic call up and not in a good way. Helgeson was brutally bad last season. Don't see why it will be any different this year. Guess he'll fit in with our dumpster fire defense.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I never said he's going to make things better. I said how the **** could it get worse? Please tell me. Because if putting Helgeson in the lineup makes us worse than losing 7 straight, only winning 3 out of our last 17, then I would LOVE to see that. That would be some kind of terrible to single-handily make us worse than that, especially playing bottom-pairing minutes.

How could it get worse? Easily, they give up even more goals and keep losing.

He has no business playing on any NHL team, even as a bottom pairing on a team on a 7 game losing streak, How hard is that to grasp?

They are better options in the AHL than that 6'5 pylon.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Shero compared this job w/#Devils to stops working with expansion Senators or Predators in their infancy.

One of Zajac/Henrique won't be here next yr either, just a hunch

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I think you're reading a little too much into that.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
How could it get worse? Easily, they give up even more goals and keep losing.

He has no business playing on any NHL team, even as a bottom pairing on a team on a 7 game losing streak, How hard is that to grasp?

They are better options in the AHL than that 6'5 pylon.

In tens games this month we've let in 39 goals so far. 3 ****ing 9. Give up more goals? We're almost at 4 against per game. Again, I'd love to see us play worse.

It's hard to grasp because it's not ****ing true, maybe that's why.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think Shero is looking for a spark and sometimes that can comes from a physical but limited player.

It's also sending a message.

Even if the talent level drops I see this as a potentially good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig