Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Helgeson will bring the GRIT we desperately need. Unfortunately, he won't help us prevent or score goals. I'd rather give Mozik or Santini a try. We know what Hulk is and we know he stinks. It's really hard to complain though. Could we honestly get worse?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean, how much worse than what we've seen is he really?

I'm not sure he even plays tbh...they do need a seventh defenseman at SOME point. Who would he slot in over, Merrill? Eh why not I suppose but that's not going to change much.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like having Helgeson up here because I think he can actually help clear the net in front of our goalies. Something none of other defensemen seem to do. Ever.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As long as he's JUST the 7th defenseman, that's fine with me.

If he's playing over anyone, even if it's Moore or Merrill, we're in trouble.

Helgeson is ****ing terrible, they're really grasping at straws if they are expecting him to frequently play.

He's the one guy that makes Merrill and Moore look pretty damn good.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like having Helgeson up here because I think he can actually help clear the net in front of our goalies. Something none of other defensemen seem to do. Ever.

He can also help us get pinned in our end even longer than we already have been for most of this season.

And we're getting pinned in an awful lot.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I don't know if I'd want to call up Blandisi, Santini, or Quenneville while this dumpster fire is ongoing. I'd maybe call up periphery guys like Coleman or Pietila, but that's about it. Don't want them infected.

Well it is a dumpster fire but calling up a patella is really not the type of player they need. They need a defensman that is physical and can play calm. Santini. And a forward w creativity and speed blandisi.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why are we calling up Helgeson instead of Auvitu? :help:

I wanna know why we don't call up Mozik?

Isn't Shero the one who signed Mozik? Yet he played in like a half a dozen games last year, while Helgeson played in over 20 and we claimed Warsofsky on waivers.

Why the hell doesn't he wanna call up Mozik at some point? He's the one who signed him.

Helgeson can't move the puck, he can't make any plays, he can't clear the zone, he really can't clear the crease and I'm not sure why anyone would think he can. Because he's a stay at home D?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Yea, which is meaningless when he is on the ice getting burned or too slow to get to the puck and gets them pinned in their own zone.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
At this point I'd rather leave Santini down there to continue to develop this season. No need to rush him now

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Isn't Shero the one who signed Mozik? Yet he played in like a half a dozen games last year, while Helgeson played in over 20 and we claimed Warsofsky on waivers.

Why the hell doesn't he wanna call up Mozik at some point? He's the one who signed him.

Helgeson can't move the puck, he can't make any plays, he can't clear the zone, he really can't clear the crease and I'm not sure why anyone would think he can. Because he's a stay at home D?

I would've been fine with calling up pretty much anyone except Helgeson. Calling up Helgeson reminds me of calling up Gazdic. I have a bad feeling he is going to play while a better player is benched because we need more grit or whatever. Hope to be proven wrong, of course.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I'd like to see Mozik at some point too. Helgeson has been seen already.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I don't hate Helgeson as much as everyone here does. I have no problem having another physical defensive defenseman in this lineup, just as long as Hynes doesn't play him on his off side. At least he'll clear people away from screening Cory.

The main question is who sits?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd like to see Mozik at some point too. Helgeson has been seen already.

Agreed.

Helgeson is easily the worst defenseman we will have had on the roster this year. I'm convinced that half of Albany's D are better than him.

Of all the Lou holdover guys, this is the one they seem to like most?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't hate Helgeson as much as everyone here does. I have no problem having another physical defensive defenseman in this lineup, just as long as Hynes doesn't play him on his off side. At least he'll clear people away from screening Cory.

Hopefully no one sits.

Helgeson sucks.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Aka ignore his lack of NHL skill?

He's only going to hurt the team and make a bad defense even worse.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Yea, which is meaningless when he is on the ice getting burned or too slow to get to the puck and gets them pinned in their own zone.

And what's happening right now?

We wouldn't be taking Drew Doughty out of the lineup for Helgeson. Taking Merrill or Quincey out for him is not the end of the world.

Some of the reactions here are ridiculous lol. Is he going to magically make us better? No, obviously not. But stop acting like putting him in would ruin a good thing. This team has lost 7 in a row and won 3 out of their last, what, 17? Helgeson isn't ruining **** this team is already at rock bottom for ****s sake.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Calling up Helgeson is a garbage move, but I could see them dressing 7 D against the Flyers.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Some may have seen Shero's comments but I'll post them anyway.

“Play harder,†Shero said, forcefully. “Really. Play [bleeping] harder. That’s what I’m talking about. There’s a will they need. There’s a passion and emotion to our game. How many scrums have we been involved with? No one is mad at us. There’s got to be pushback in your game and pride in your game. Someone takes your lunch money, what the hell? It’s not good. That’s something we established last year. It’s a tenacity to your game. Our team last year, we never gave up. That, to me, is what you’re trying to build, and that’s pride.â€

“The way we’re playing now is too slow, and we look slow,†Shero said. “We’re not on our toes … Last night is exactly what makes you lose seven in a row and, until you fix it, who knows how many it will be.

“Whether it’s accountability or whether it’s the passion, people talk about leadership or character, and I don’t buy that for a second,†Shero added. “I have one word for anybody that plays for this team or works for this team: You have to have pride in anything you do.â€

“John’s a really good coach, without a doubt,†Shero said. “People around the league recognize that, and so do I.

“I can’t even stress, I’m 100 percent supportive of our coach,†Shero added. “This is the guy I hired. Where some of these guys have come from, they fire the coaches all the time. Here, obviously, [former president and GM] Lou [Lamoriello] did that quite a bit, and with good success. But John is the right coach for us. I really believe in what he’s doing and how he does things.â€

“In the span of two minutes, this whole thing turned,†Shero said. “That’s where I’m talking about resolve.â€

“Last year was easy,†Shero said he told the group in training camp. “Trust me, this is going to be a test, because while I do think we have better talent, if we lose an ounce of that work ethic, we are in trouble. Because skill is going to get you so far. Will is the other part, which those guys brought.â€

“They don’t have to score,†Shero said. [Plmieri and Henrique] “They do have to play a certain way. They do have to have a certain commitment all over the ice. I can’t rely on [rookie] Miles Wood, who’s two years out of prep hockey, to make a difference. Thank God he is, I guess, to a certain extent.

“We want our fans to have ide in this team,†Shero added. “They did last year. We were off to a great start, played great at home. Now, over five, six weeks, we’ve given it back. And that’s not good.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad