Devils 2015-16 team discussion (players news & notes) Offseason Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Think it just means people on this board think higher of the leftover misfit toys then Shero does.

Ya I've figured that Shero wants to see what Bennett, Dsp, Lappin, Merrill, Frenchy etc have. And that carried more weight then maybe upgrading a position with a vet journeyman.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I have no qualms starting the season with the defensemen we have. I just would have preferred to bring in someone like Russell at least on a PTO. The thing I'm worried about the most is who is going to be paired with Santini? I don't particularly trust Merrill or Moore to help guide him in his first season. But maybe Santini will just play well on his own and not need a steady partner. I mean theoretically the style of play that Moore and Santini play respectively kind of makes for a good pair. Until you factor in that it's Santini's first year and all but still.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have no qualms starting the season with the defensemen we have. I just would have preferred to bring in someone like Russell at least on a PTO. The thing I'm worried about the most is who is going to be paired with Santini? I don't particularly trust Merrill or Moore to help guide him in his first season. But maybe Santini will just play well on his own and not need a steady partner. I mean theoretically the style of play that Moore and Santini play respectively kind of makes for a good pair. Until you factor in that it's Santini's first year and all but still.
This is what I'm counting on.

And Santini's game is all about being responsible, so unlike a young offensive d-man, or even 2 way guy, his style, and mental makeup might least need a steady vet partner. Especially when you consider that he will not be facing the toughest of matchups.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think we were ridiculously spoiled to have Stempniak turn out as well as he did and now we all hope the same PTO magic can strike again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ya I've figured that Shero wants to see what Bennett, Dsp, Lappin, Merrill, Frenchy etc have. And that carried more weight then maybe upgrading a position with a vet journeyman.

It's more about the D than the forwards. They've had a full season to see Severson, Merrill and Moore already. Even guys like Mozik and Helgeson were in the organization. The only new guys they have to get a good look at are Santini and Avitu who I think is getting a bit overhyped here. But it's hard to imagine this team NOT needing a top four defenseman. That's where I could see a PTO helping.

The pairings concern me too. As it stands it should be Greene-Severson and Moore/Merrill-Lovejoy in the top four for a vet-youth balance...but I could easily see it being Greene-Lovejoy, Moore-Santini and Merrill-Severson.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It's more about the D than the forwards. They've had a full season to see Severson, Merrill and Moore already. Even guys like Mozik and Helgeson were in the organization. The only new guys they have to get a good look at are Santini and Avitu who I think is getting a bit overhyped here. But it's hard to imagine this team NOT needing a top four defenseman.

Well you are seeing if these guys are growing as players. Or in Merrill's case, what effect a stable vet partner will have.

A players level of play is not static from season to season, especially not a young players.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's more about the D than the forwards. They've had a full season to see Severson, Merrill and Moore already. Even guys like Mozik and Helgeson were in the organization. The only new guys they have to get a good look at are Santini and Avitu who I think is getting a bit overhyped here. But it's hard to imagine this team NOT needing a top four defenseman. That's where I could see a PTO helping.

The pairings concern me too. As it stands it should be Greene-Severson and Moore/Merrill-Lovejoy in the top four for a vet-youth balance...but I could easily see it being Greene-Lovejoy, Moore-Santini and Merrill-Severson.

There isn't really a top 4 D just sitting out there. The names being thrown around are being a bit overhyped as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well you are seeing if these guys are growing as players. Or in Merrill's case, what effect a stable vet partner will have.

A players level of play is not static from season to season, especially not a young players.

Even so I don't see Merrill (who probably won't even play in camp) or Moore making enough of a leap to be legit top four guys, and the staff's collective blind spot for Moore is a bit concerning although he did IMO play a bit better last year before he got hurt than after. Severson sure but even given that it still leaves an gaping ? at 2LD.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I don't know. I personally don't see a world where Greene and Severson aren't paired together for the bulk of the season. I think if you want the best out of Severson then Greene should be his partner. To me at least it will be Greene and Severson on the top pair, getting most of the tough assignments but not as much as last season's top pair. Then Moore and Santini - the second/third pair that will be kind of a mix and match that can help chip in offensively and decent defensively. And then Merrill and Lovejoy - just the steady, stay at home pairing that worries about keeping the puck out of their net and nothing else.

The ice time distributions between the pairs will be interesting to see. There is no way Greene and Severson can handle the same minutes that were given to Greene and Lars last season. I think Lovejoy and Merrill (lol) can help take away a few of those tough minutes while Lovejoy helps take away some of the minutes on the PK that Lars gave us. And then Moore and Santini can take the easiest minutes. It can help Santini ease into the NHL a little better plus the threat of Moore being a defensive liability can be minimized.

I'm just excited for the season to start so we can stop talking in these hypotheticals and actually rip into the team for not being good enough :sarcasm:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Kind of looking ahead here, but I'm hoping the Devils will go after Tyler Johnson (RFA) next off season. After TB signs Kucherov, they'll have 3 big contracts including Stamkos and Hedman. In addition to smaller, yet still big, contract of Callahan...and also needing to re-sign RFA Palat next year (who some consider more important to their system than Johnson).

It's possible Yzerman works some magic and gets them all to stay, but I think Johnson is the type of offensive center we need. And he shows up big in the playoffs.

We have Zacha, McLeod, JQ, in the wings with Zajac and Rico. I can think of a few other spots to upgrade. Scoring defenseman and right winger would really help. I think we're good at center unless we can draft a McD or Matthews type of player.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There isn't really a top 4 D just sitting out there. The names being thrown around are being a bit overhyped as well.

Russell is probably the closest, and I think him getting top 4 minutes would go over about as well as Moore getting top 4 minutes. Although I guess at least we'd have better depth with somebody like Russell or Ehrhoff (who I personally think would be a better fit).

If Merrill can't go to start the season one of Auvitu/Helgeson/Gormley is probably going to be with Santini on the third pairing. Assuming of course Santini doesn't have a poor camp and not make the team.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We have Zacha, McLeod, JQ, in the wings with Zajac and Rico. I can think of a few other spots to upgrade. Scoring defenseman and right winger would really help. I think we're good at center unless we can draft a McD or Matthews type of player.

We don't have a legit playmaking center. Zacha and McLeod are nice pieces but they are not that.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
That is pretty significant. I like.

Its not really significant at all. Zacha was drafted as a C and has played as a C through juniors. It's just his natural position. When Henrique was playing a lot of wing he would typically be listed as a C as well.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
We don't have a legit playmaking center. Zacha and McLeod are nice pieces but they are not that.

Completely disagree. That's McLeod's game. His upside is his speed and ability to make plays. His downside is his lack of finesse finishing.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Completely disagree. That's McLeod's game. His upside is his speed and ability to make plays. His downside is his lack of finesse finishing.

I hope so, but I see his ceiling as a fast version of Zajac.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I personally see Zacha as a high end winger and McLeod as a superb two way 2nd line center. But I hope I am wrong and they both turn out to be legit #1C's.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
No Patty at training camp.

So it is pretty much confirmed he isn't coming back?

I don't see the point of giving him the entire training camp off (despite his age). It would mean he would of had no preparation and would come into the season underdone. I don't think that would be good for the team.

His knee still is not fully healthy. No need to sign him to a contract and have it count against the cap if he can't play the whole season. Might as well wait it out and sign one if and when he is ready

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is tomorrow physical's? Or was it today? (which is technically yesterday now in most of the world)

Just reading the thing about Clarkson failing his physical, got me thinking ''I thought physical's were tomorrow?''.

Maybe players that ended the previous season injured, have to take their physical a day ahead of everyone else or maybe that's how that organization does things. I'm not sure. I was under the impression that Thursday was physical's and that Friday was the first on-ice sessions for vets.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Is tomorrow physical's? Or was it today? (which is technically yesterday now in most of the world)

Just reading the thing about Clarkson failing his physical, got me thinking ''I thought physical's were tomorrow?''.

Maybe players that ended the previous season injured, have to take their physical a day ahead of everyone else or maybe that's how that organization does things. I'm not sure. I was under the impression that Thursday was physical's and that Friday was the first on-ice sessions for vets.

I think everyone opens up camp at a different date. Pretty sure the devils have physicals tomorrow (Thursday)

EDIT: http://nypost.com/2016/09/21/taylor-halls-electric-upside-has-devils-dreaming-big/

Say hall will report for his physical tomorrow (Thursday)

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think everyone opens up camp at a different date. Pretty sure the devils have physicals tomorrow (Thursday)

EDIT: http://nypost.com/2016/09/21/taylor-halls-electric-upside-has-devils-dreaming-big/

Say hall will report for his physical tomorrow (Thursday)

It used to be that everybody had physicals for the vets on the same day, and rookies and prospects reported a few days or even a week earlier, but the rookie and prospect dates vary from team to team.

And thanks, I thought it was Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad