Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If jersey advertisements raise each team's revenue and raise the salary cap allowing teams to spend more, I'm all for it. American pro sports (not MLS) are the only major leagues in the world that don't have advertising on the jerseys... it was only a matter of time. Hell, in soccer the adverts are bigger than the team crests! That Stubhub logo on the Sixers jersey should not bother anyone what-so-ever. It's so freaking small.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The way the NBA is doing it though and hopefully the NHL follows suit when they implement it. Only Jerseys sold in the arena will have the patches. Other retailers won't have the patches.

Well, that'd be good, though in that case I don't know why anyone would buy at the arena unless it was at a significant discount, ha ha.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If jersey advertisements raise each team's revenue and raise the salary cap allowing teams to spend more, I'm all for it. American pro sports (not MLS) are the only major leagues in the world that don't have advertising on the jerseys... it was only a matter of time. Hell, in soccer the adverts are bigger than the team crests! That Stubhub logo on the Sixers jersey should not bother anyone what-so-ever. It's so freaking small.

Why are you all for it? I don't understand that mentality from a fans perspective - it doesn't benefit fans in ANY way. It's not like they're going to use that increased revenue to lower ticket prices or give anything back to fans. All teams will be doing it, not some, with the rich teams naturally getting more money, so it doesn't help smaller market teams in any way.

I don't like ads on jerseys at all - I don't care if they do it elsewhere. Any ad on the jersey would bother me, regardless of size. It's a disgusting money grab by owners, just like the unnecessary expansion while there are still struggling markets. I'll do my best not to support companies that put ads on jerseys - yeah, I know it won't make a dent or mean anything to them, but it'll be my own little way of pushing back, as futile as it is.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Well, that'd be good, though in that case I don't know why anyone would buy at the arena unless it was at a significant discount, ha ha.

I agree, though there will always be someone who wants to look exactly like their team's players. Plus, I would consider it if it was a brand that I really like.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Why are you all for it? I don't understand that mentality from a fans perspective - it doesn't benefit fans in ANY way. It's not like they're going to use that increased revenue to lower ticket prices or give anything back to fans. All teams will be doing it, not some, with the rich teams naturally getting more money, so it doesn't help smaller market teams in any way.

I don't like ads on jerseys at all - I don't care if they do it elsewhere. Any ad on the jersey would bother me, regardless of size. It's a disgusting money grab by owners, just like the unnecessary expansion while there are still struggling markets. I'll do my best not to support companies that put ads on jerseys - yeah, I know it won't make a dent or mean anything to them, but it'll be my own little way of pushing back, as futile as it is.

Maybe I have a different mentality since I have been a soccer supporter for most of my life... The ads are just there and it doesn't mean anything to me good or bad.

Juventus has JEEP on their shirts... I don't go run out and make sure I buy a Jeep... but I certainly don't cross it off of my potential next car search because I don't like it on my team's jersey.

Where I would understand you having a problem is if the team is branded by the corporation. I'm a Red Bulls fan because I support my local club. They happen to have some of the best facilities and best youth systems in MLS and they really give back to the fans... but how I wish they would be branded differently. I wish they were FCNJ or something... Looking at their jerseys there's a Red Bull logo in the crest, huge on the shirt, and on the shorts. It's overkill and is ridiculous.... but I don't sit at home and whine about it and deprive myself of live soccer because of it. I am not going to spend $60 in tolls and parking to go to NYCFC games at Yankee Stadium.

As long as the Devils stay the New Jersey Devils and don't turn into the New Jersey Slap Chops or something, I will still support the team the best I can.

Bottom line, if you don't like ads on jerseys... well then that's your loss. It's everywhere else in the world and it's about to come here. Sure, it's unfortunate because an NHL hockey jersey is one of the best looking sport jerseys in the world... but these are the times. You can boycott thousands of sports clubs and products around the world if it makes you feel better.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Jersey advertisements are just so damn bush league, it's hard to stomach. Shameless marketing. There are enough avenues for that.

I'd be very disappointed if that route were ever taken by the NHL.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I couldn't care less about ads. Getting upset about them being a "cash grab" seems silly to me. I know we all like to think of professional sports as some hallowed bastion of tradition and childhood dreams, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think owners are in it for the money.

The concept of being a "sellout" has always confused me. I've yet to meet the person that would turn down the opportunity to make money by doing something as simple and effortless as endorsing a product they might already use regardless, but for some reason people expect that musicians, athletes, etc. shouldn't? Are you telling me that you wouldn't slap a StubHub logo on your shoulder for more money?

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Jersey advertisements are just so damn bush league, it's hard to stomach. Shameless marketing. There are enough avenues for that.

I'd be very disappointed if that route were ever taken by the NHL.

Take it to the bank that there's an invisible clock counting down the seconds until it happens. The world is getting more and more littered with ads. Owners demand revenue increases and will go any avenue possible to get it. They already put this in motion by covering parts of the playing surface and boards with ads, and do we ever complain?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm sure once upon a time hockey fans *****ed about there being ads on the boards, but now we don't even think about it. Eventually the same would happen with ads on jerseys.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Well, if they do it, I won't buy another jersey. Would look classless and hideous. If everyone walks around with underwear on their heads, I'm not doing that either...

Interesting thought, I never actually looked into this for other sports that do ads on jerseys. I would imagine that the ads only get placed on player jerseys and not on the jerseys sold to the public. Is that not the case?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I couldn't care less about ads. Getting upset about them being a "cash grab" seems silly to me. I know we all like to think of professional sports as some hallowed bastion of tradition and childhood dreams, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think owners are in it for the money.

The concept of being a "sellout" has always confused me. I've yet to meet the person that would turn down the opportunity to make money by doing something as simple and effortless as endorsing a product they might already use regardless, but for some reason people expect that musicians, athletes, etc. shouldn't? Are you telling me that you wouldn't slap a StubHub logo on your shoulder for more money?

Take it to the bank that there's an invisible clock counting down the seconds until it happens. The world is getting more and more littered with ads. Owners demand revenue increases and will go any avenue possible to get it. They already put this in motion by covering parts of the playing surface and boards with ads, and do we ever complain?

Oh, I'm certainly not naive enough to think that it's not inevitable, or that the owners would opt out of a revenue spike.

I'm sure it'll happen, but for me personally, it'll take some adjusting. I won't pout or boycott.. but I'll certainly be disappointed that, in my eyes, the sanctity of a beautiful hockey jersey has been soiled. Yes, it's that sentimental to me.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Oh, I'm certainly not naive enough to think that it's not inevitable, or that the owners would opt out of a revenue spike.

I'm sure it'll happen, but for me personally, it'll take some adjusting. I won't pout or boycott.. but I'll certainly be disappointed that, in my eyes, the sanctity of a beautiful hockey jersey has been soiled. Yes, it's that sentimental to me.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that! Could almost call it the end of an era. Hopefully my kids never look at pictures of jerseys from when I grew up and think they look so plain and weird without those cool ads on them :(

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Honestly it's a spit in the face to the fans that spend thousands of dollars each season to watch games to place advertisements on jerseys.

It's greed to the max.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Honestly it's a spit in the face to the fans that spend thousands of dollars each season to watch games to place advertisements on jerseys.

It's greed to the max.

You'll have forgotten about it in a few years.

We did over here. Band aid mate, rip it off, rub some dirt in it and move on.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I will say that they should keep it to a bare minimum, like with top league football shirts.

One advertiser.

Euro hockey clubs (and lower league football clubs) have no choice but to accept what they're offered. They need the ad money to survive.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm sure once upon a time hockey fans *****ed about there being ads on the boards, but now we don't even think about it. Eventually the same would happen with ads on jerseys.

I remember being somewhat embarrassed in the mid 1980's when the Devils had no advertising on the boards and other teams in our division had an add every 3 feet.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As of now I find the third, fourth and fifth jerseys more abhorrent than putting a patch ad on jerseys. I just never want to see where the advertiser becomes the primary logo (and the team logo is minimized) the way it is in soccer.

While you're generally correct I still get queasy thinking about that orange Mercedes-Benz patch on the ice at the CAA several years back...but hey it did its job inasmuch as I still remember it so :help:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

It's greed to the max.

It's business and the world we live in. The owners want revenues to increase every year because their franchise's values will increase with it. This is just another avenue to achieve it. They'll do whatever they can get away with, and society is moving towards advertising everywhere. We're increasingly desensitized to it.

If they thought it would actually hurt business (via a fan boycott) they wouldn't do it. But look at the lockouts. Jeremy Jacobs' STH waiting list has doubled since the last lockout and his franchise's value is up a ton since then. The few Bruins fans who protested by dropping their season tickets were immediately replaced by others too eager to throw their money at the team. You think he'll push for another lockout after this last one was so successful for his business? You betcha!! Because the fans need their hockey and came running back with open wallets the second the lockout ended.

pXrGY6NIGYwMrcmQOlmU7ZoqkH1V9YbwgQ6Jb6_noq02iKZMGbuYckDuExoHTEbW0aANwy4flaXQdM0KMoAN-lE9DVvGjBQz1B5GMFXj_7M3gzclI4FW2ryr5JoObReYWVvuf_w

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A patch should only be to commemorate something in my opinion. The Stanley Cup, 75th anniversary. A retirement, a career...if there is advertising patch those things become cheapened in my view.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
1) I feel like this discussion should have been placed in the "Jersey Talk" thread where I originally posted. :P

2) Can people stop comparing this to soccer. Soccer has no stoppages aside from a 15 minute half, which is mostly filled with analysis. The main US sports have bundles of commercial time that they already rake revenues in through. This is apples and oranges. Before someone brings up bush league "pro hockey" leagues that do it...don't. :laugh:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I will say that they should keep it to a bare minimum, like with top league football shirts.

One advertiser.

Euro hockey clubs (and lower league football clubs) have no choice but to accept what they're offered. They need the ad money to survive.

Bare minimum in that there is one main sponsor instead of 10 patches, sure. But these sponsors are generally the focal point of the jersey in giant lettering (see: pretty much every BPL team).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad