Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) Offseason version ‎III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Supposedly he is considering his next contract(after the ELC) If that true a teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, maybe even Rangers are not ideal being so close to the cap.

I would imagine its the primary draw of New Jersey. A couple of nice pieces in place and tons of cap space.

Almost certainly why he won't sign in Chicago. Odds they won't be able to resign him when his ELC runs out. I'm still thinking he just goes to Boston in the end

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Supposedly he is considering his next contract(after the ELC) If that is true, teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, maybe even Rangers are not ideal being so close to the cap.

I would imagine its the primary draw of New Jersey. A couple of nice pieces in place and tons of cap space.

If that's a reason behind his motivation for doing this, I think that's a turnoff if I'm a GM.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Almost certainly why he won't sign in Chicago. Odds they won't be able to resign him when his ELC runs out. I'm still thinking he just goes to Boston in the end

Boston makes the most sense for a lot of reasons...#1 being their best players are centers. If I were a winger and a team with Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, David Backes and hardly any wingers came calling I would be all over that.

Boston has good centers, not a lot of wingers a good amount of cap space and its home. It looks like a no brainer to me? The kid probably wouldn't even move out of Cambridge.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Supposedly he is considering his next contract(after the ELC) If that is true, teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, maybe even Rangers are not ideal being so close to the cap.

Does that speculation have any reasonable basis?

It seems like it is just a point of view that has been brought up so often that it is taken as a fact. I still have yet to see any truth to that statement that he is in it for the money.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I honestly don't ever see Boucher hitting 60 points. Well, not on the Devils.

Vesey style of play fits this team much better. But then again, he hasn't played a single game in the NHL.

Perhaps, I'm too optimistic on the kid. I think he'll be great alongside our forwards should he choose to sign here.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Boston makes the most sense for a lot of reasons...#1 being their best players are centers. If I were a winger and a team with Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, David Backes and hardly any wingers came calling I would be all over that.

Boston has good centers, not a lot of wingers and a good amount of cap space. It looks like a no brainer to me?

I imagine he is not sold on their future.

Their defense and goaltending are huge question marks, both now and in the future. Sweeney's track record as a GM so far has resulted in a number of questionable moves as well.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't know about Chicago. They told Brandon Saad they would never trade him and that they would work something out. They did. They traded him to Columbus.

Guys like Teravainen, Andrew Shaw, Patrick Sharp, Antti Niemi etc have all been traded because Chicago couldn't keep them.

I don't know, I'd be nervous about that going forward, and once you sign your ELC you don't have any control of your future. The team does.

Chicago does present him with the best opportunity to win now, but they're in the Western Conference and they will have cap issues. I just don't see them as a major player in this.

They would be by far his best option otherwise, but they don't have any respite from the cap issues. They don't have much time left as a contender unless they can fix this, and it's seemingly only getting worse.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Their defense and goaltending are huge question marks, both now and in the future. Sweeney's track record as a GM so far has resulted in a number of questionable moves as well.

Ya the is the question mark with Boston, their direction.

Chicago has to resign Panaran next summer and that will put them back against the cap again.

I really don't know how much longer they can keep juggling the cap and stay a contender

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
If that's a reason behind his motivation for doing this, I think that's a turnoff if I'm a GM.

I don't see it that way. If he's thinking about his next contract with the team he chooses he A) want's to commit long term to team X and B) has confidence the team will think he deserves a big raise.

If he gets greedy and thinks he deserves more money than the team offers in a couple of years, team X can let him walk without losing any assets (apart from Buffalo).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I do think that is issue. That defense is on the way to being horrible and Boston's centers are all over 30 years old. It's not perfect. But there is going to be a balancing act no matter what he chooses.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If Chicago could move Crawford they would be fine.

Crawford is actually good. He's worth his contract. Their problem is Hossa and Seabrook and the fact that they don't have any good ELCs anymore. Also Toews wasn't worth his contract last season, which isn't a great sign.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Buccigross and McDonald were on TSN earlier saying the big three are the Leafs, Rags, and us. Isles might of entered. Chicago and Buffalo might be out. Hayes is apparently doing a full court recruitment press for the Rags.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Buccigross and McDonald were on TSN earlier saying the big three are the Leafs, Rags, and us.

It's getting to the point where I want him just to play keep away as much as anything else. Since basically everyone outside of the Hawks that's been rumored is a division or at least conference rival.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Buccigross and McDonald were on TSN earlier saying the big three are the Leafs, Rags, and us.

Probably just the homer in me, but I have a feeling he'll choose us. I think we have a lot to offer and he can help us make a stronger push for the playoffs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's getting to the point where I want him just to play keep away as much as anything else. Since basically everyone outside of the Hawks that's been rumored is a division or at least conference rival.

Well those odds were always low since he wants to play in the Northeast. Boston or Toronto would be the best place outside of us if you want keep away.

Still I wouldn't be shocked if it came down to us and the Rags. I don't think it is worth losing sleep over if we miss him. Nice free asset, but its not McDavid or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad