Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) Offseason version ‎III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Would be more surprised if an expansion club took on a 35 year old with 2 years remaining at $5M

The Vegas team is going to have to hit a cap floor of (I think?) 48 million. They'll need to pick up some expensive contracts to do it. 2 years at $5 million for a guy who, if healthy, will score a bunch of goals seems like something McPhee might be willing to gamble on.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
would not be surprised at all but i'd think shero would be smarter than that and at least try and move him before draft if he wasnt in the future picture of the team at that point

and i'm not even thinking about who would be exposed instead

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened either, but whether that's the best move or not depends on how many of the younger guys you that need to be protected they want to hang on to.

Keeping an older player that you think could get chosen isn't a horrible idea in that case.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The Vegas team is going to have to hit a cap floor of (I think?) 48 million. They'll need to pick up some expensive contracts to do it. 2 years at $5 million for a guy who, if healthy, will score a bunch of goals seems like something McPhee might be willing to gamble on.

they'll need to take on some salary along the way to make the 60% of the previous season's cap criteria….camm would help that cause

edit: MND said the same above

I suppose. It would seem that there would just be a lot more desirable contracts available though.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Lots of ways it could play out, of course. Gonna depend a lot on who's made available by other teams and how the season goes.

For instance if the Devils make the playoffs and Camm has a good season I could just as easily see them keeping him. Particularly if they're ready to cut ties with guys like Josefson, etc.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Zacha #6 overall, Queneville a #30 overall and Wood are irrelevant? They are all vying for the same position

Vesey had 43 in points in 33 games as a 23 year old Senior this year at Harvard--- Wood had 35 points in 37 games as 20 year old Freshman this season at BC...

Wood is most likely going to have to start in the AHL no matter how good he is in camp/pre-season because of the players in front of him. And Vesey is going to step right in?

Wasn't the staff quoted as saying they wanted Zacha at center or am I making that up? I don't see Quenneville making the team and, again from Vesey's perspective, a guy like Quenneville wouldn't scare me at all. I don't really want to get into it, but the way Quenneville is talked about here doesn't really comport with where I personally see his upside. If Vesey is as confident as it seems he is, a John Quenneville in the system is hardly a major variable that he's using to make his decision.

Fun with stats: Vesey also had 32 goals and 58 points in 37 games as a 22 year old.

And to your last line, yes that would be his belief. Neither I, nor you, know how that will work out for him, but comparing his position to Miles Wood's is crazy.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
You can't say that, at this point in time. Boucher over Vesey, at least until we see what Vesey actually is.

I expect Boucher and Vesey to have pretty similar stats this year. If you polled non-Devil fans most would probably saw that Vesey will have better production this year.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You can't say that, at this point in time. Boucher over Vesey, at least until we see what Vesey actually is.

That's exactly the problem. I have no idea where Vesey tops out. He dominated a league in which most NHL talent has already left for their teams. Meanwhile, Boucher's the same age (actually, a little younger) but already has pro experience, but may not fit our style as much.

I reasonably expect 40 points from Boucher this year. I don't think Vesey would put that up in his rookie year (I mean, even Parise only put up 32 in his rookie year).

I can see Boucher topping out as a 50-60 point player, but I can see Vesey being a more complete player.

Hard for me to say who's the better prospect. I feel like Vesey's just being hyped because of his unusual situation.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lots of ways it could play out, of course. Gonna depend a lot on who's made available by other teams and how the season goes.

For instance if the Devils make the playoffs and Camm has a good season I could just as easily see them keeping him. Particularly if they're ready to cut ties with guys like Josefson, etc.

Keeping or tossing JJ doesn't really have much barring on Camm

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Keeping or tossing JJ doesn't really have much barring on Camm

I only mean in the sense that a limited number of forwards will be protected, and it'll be easier to keep a guy like Camm for short term gain if you've reached the point of cutting ties with some younger players. Again, just floating hypotheticals.

Also, if Vesey signed here and both he and Boucher turn into 40 point players in the next 2 seasons that would be huge for the rebuild. Exactly the sort of scoring depth this team needs.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
In my eyes its just another young piece of the future. Just like any prospect, because lets not forget, thats what he is, he can bust out. In my eyes he would become our 4th bet prospect and if he starts with the NHL team its because he earned it over Boucher and the host of other guys mentioned. I dont for 1 minute think the kid will be scared away by the likes of Boucher, who just signed a 1 year deal and its 2 way. The only person that he might be worried about is Zacha, but i think he is going to start the season out at center. In my eyes JQ is a center as well. Plus at some point someones got to move over to RW. For all we know thats why Boucher got his 1 year deal because they want him to move over and see how he looks before committing to him longer term.

If the kid is confident in his skills he wont be worried about half the names on that list. He will see himself slotting in on the 2nd or 3rd line.

Sinner

Stevens #4 Legend
Jun 30, 2016
Rags Suck Land
Don't know much about Vesey but it would be nice to get him just for the fact that it would make one of our prospects more expandable in a trade for a Dman.

But for the love of god please don't sign with the Rags.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I saw the Pittsburgh is making a pitch and if I'm Vesey, that's who I'm going with.

Well if I'm Vesey... the Devils are certainly behind the Hawks, Pens, and even Rangers.
In Chicago, he gets to play in front of big sold out crowds with a team that can contend now for the cup and Toews, Kane, Panarin, and so on. In Pitt, they just won the cup and have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and so on. With the Rangers, we obviously don't think anything about the Garden but it really is a draw for a kid looking to sign with his first pro team. The draw for the Devils is a nice arena.... the ability to live in Hoboken or one of the many wealthy suburbs we have... being close to NYC... but a team that has missed the playoffs four years in a row and plays in front of a 60-70% full building nightly.

Obviously we hold our team in high regard... but it's not that big of a draw.

Hell, if he wants to be part of a project... he could easily sign with Buffalo who already has his rights.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think one of our big draws is our cap space going forward.

On the other hand, if I were Vesey and saw the contracts we've been signing, I'd be afraid of Shero's bargaining abilities.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Sure it would be nice to get Vesey, but one of the reasons why it would be so sweet is because it would piss so many off. Would love to see and hear their reactions. :)

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Sure it would be nice to get Vesey, but one of the reasons why it would be so sweet is because it would piss so many off. Would love to see and hear their reactions. :)

It would be great to sign him. Absolutely. I would be very impressed with our forward group.

It seems like just yesterday we had Zubrus, Ruutu, Gionta, Ryder, Brunner, Tlusty, and company stinking up the place. Now we have Henrique, Hall, Palmieri, Zacha, Boucher, and possibly Vesey to build a great future with along with Zajac and Cammalleri.

Even our grinders (Kalinin, Fiddler, and Smith Pelley) are younger (not Fiddler lol) and better than the ones Uncle Lou used to get us (Janssen, Boulton, Peters, Kostopolous, Leblond, and so on)

Shero has been amazing for us. Losing Larsson still hurts... but as soon as I get some video of Taylor Hall skating around in a Devils jersey in camp I will be 100% okay with the trade.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

^ This

And as i said before, as long as he doesn't sign with the Rags...

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I saw the Pittsburgh is making a pitch and if I'm Vesey, that's who I'm going with.

Supposedly he is considering his next contract(after the ELC) If that is true, teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, maybe even Rangers are not ideal being so close to the cap.

I would imagine its the primary draw of New Jersey. A couple of nice pieces in place and tons of cap space.

Last edited:

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I don't know about Chicago. They told Brandon Saad they would never trade him and that they would work something out. They did. They traded him to Columbus.

Guys like Teravainen, Andrew Shaw, Patrick Sharp, Antti Niemi etc have all been traded because Chicago couldn't keep them.

I don't know, I'd be nervous about that going forward, and once you sign your ELC you don't have any control of your future. The team does.

Chicago does present him with the best opportunity to win now, but they're in the Western Conference and they will have cap issues. I just don't see them as a major player in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad