Devils 2015-16 team discussion (player news & notes) Offseason version ‎III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the expansion draft was two years later, I'd definitely consider exposing Zajac.

Even if it was one year later and we found someone to take on his role, I'd be alright with it. Like maybe if McLeod was ready at that time.

But I don't think it's wise to part from him in just a year from now, we'll likely still need him for a couple more years.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I think the protection will depend on camp this year.

Can MacLeod, Zacha, and/or Quenneville step up? If so, then Zajac is somewhat disposable.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Can MacLeod, Zacha, and/or Quenneville step up? If so, then Zajac is somewhat disposable.

That's still asking quite a bit of a kid to help replace Zajac's responsibilities that soon. I think short of Zacha or McLeod being a top six center right out of the gate we'll still have too many question marks up the middle. Does Zajac have a NMC, or is it just a NTC?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The fact that they will have only been in the NHL for one season at most by the time the draft rolls around, makes them still too much of a question mark.

That's why I said if it were in 2 years or 3 years from now instead of next year.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If the expansion draft was two years later, I'd definitely consider exposing Zajac.

Even if it was one year later and we found someone to take on his role, I'd be alright with it. Like maybe if McLeod was ready at that time.

But I don't think it's wise to part from him in just a year from now, we'll likely still need him for a couple more years.

Next go around for Quebec/whatever in a year or two will put us in loads of trouble. If it's only one year after, Santini and Wood are both eligible. Two years after and Zacha/Quenneville/etc. (depending if they get enough time this year) are eligible.

I imagine Zajac and Cammalleri would be exposed in those scenarios depending on how everyone progresses.. mostly given that Cammalleri will be at the tail end of his contract and Zajac closer to the end as well.

I think we'll likely lose Blandisi or DSP this time around unless Vegas decides they want a goaltending prospect in Wedgewood. I doubt it though.. I think there are far better goalies out there that are eligible.

It will really be Blandisi vs. DSP vs. Bennett for that last protection slot this expansion draft. Josefson (we'd have to re-sign him) + the two losers of that battle will be left exposed to meet the requirements for GP (noting that Bennett wouldn't qualify as he would be an RFA).

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm really not worried about the expansion draft. Losing Blandisi or DSP for nothing wouldn't be great, but they would hardly be crippling losses. And who knows, maybe GM GM would prefer taking somebody like Moore anyway.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I'm really not worried about the expansion draft. Losing Blandisi or DSP for nothing wouldn't be great, but they would hardly be crippling losses. And who knows, maybe GM GM would prefer taking somebody like Moore anyway.

Doubt it given the qualify of the D that will be exposed. LV will have a pretty damn good defense but will be barren of top 6 forwards.

I agree on not being worried though. Mostly because there's nothing to do about it anyways. Worst case scenario, everyone progresses and we have to make a decision on exposing a Zajac or Cammalleri instead based on upside/contract status.. which would mean its actually a great case scenario as we had a ton of progression to offset that potential loss. Also the option to trade them picks/prospects to pick someone we care less about.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If we have to leave a good player unprotected it's a great sign, because it means we have plenty of other BETTER guys that we are protecting.

At this time last year we had like 4 forwards worth protecting. Plus, every team has to give something up, it's not like we're at a disadvantage.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Protecting DSP over Blandisi, if the draft were held right now, would be a large mistake. Now a lot can change in a season, but DSP's a pretty known quantity - can score some goals, can't do a whole lot else. He's still only 24 so there's room to grow there, but I suspect he was given a 2 year deal for the sake of exposing him to the draft.

Zajac, fine, I'll grant that the Devils probably should not leave him unprotected, because they will have trouble replacing what he does. Cammalleri absolutely should be exposed, not because he isn't good, but because the Devils don't need that contract and the possibility of his decline.

Blandisi certainly may not be anything, but there's a chance that he's a real good player.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Protecting DSP over Blandisi, if the draft were held right now, would be a large mistake. Now a lot can change in a season, but DSP's a pretty known quantity - can score some goals, can't do a whole lot else. He's still only 24 so there's room to grow there, but I suspect he was given a 2 year deal for the sake of exposing him to the draft.

Zajac, fine, I'll grant that the Devils probably should not leave him unprotected, because they will have trouble replacing what he does. Cammalleri absolutely should be exposed, not because he isn't good, but because the Devils don't need that contract and the possibility of his decline.

Blandisi certainly may not be anything, but there's a chance that he's a real good player.

DSP has proven more than Blandisi right now. He isn't some scrub who's automatically going to slot in the bottom-six. He's a guy who can crash the net and score some goals.

If you "normalize" his shooting % to 10.5% last year overall and take the 1.8 shots per game he was taking in NJ, you have a guy who is scoring 14-15 goals. We're going to be lucky if Blandisi reaches that mark in a season.

Also, DSP scored 12 points in 46 MTL games which might not sound great but that's with 1:13 less TOI than Gionta got here in New Jersey. And 0:30 less than Rutuu. When he gets top 6 minutes he produces. Bottom line. I simply can't argue with those facts. He's not the sexiest producer in the world but who cares, goals are goals and points are points.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I think it will depend on the season as a whole more then just camp. (Unless I'm missing something and we need to finalize a protection list in October).
The team is decidedly worse without Zajac. Remember when he was injured last year? He's just a flat-out useful player.

But he will be 2 years older then he was last year. As will guys like Zacha and Q.

I assume they would because he isnt that overpaid and they do have to reach 90% cap floor firstseason

I''m sure there will be plenty of contracts out there with which they can reach the floor.

I think Cammy's injuries play into it as much as his age or decline.

But I think you can't really make these judgements right now. What if Zajac goes out and put's up another season like he did in 14-15? Not only could we live without that, but Vegas would probably not want to live with that.

Or Blandisi could have a boom season. Or a bust season. Same with DSP. Same with Bouch. I really like Bouch right now, but if he gives us 12 goals and 12 assists this year, with unimpressive possession #'s? Given our LW organizational depth, given his lack of speed and the style we want to play, I could see him be an option as well.

Do McCloud Zacha and Q impress to the point where we don't say, man we need Zajac to anchor a center spot for the next 5 years?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It seems pretty simple to me right now.

1. Hall
2. Henrique
3. Palmieri
4. Zajac
5. Cammalleri
6 & 7 are spots to be earned by the best two of:
Boucher, Blandisi, DSP, Bennett

Hopefully we will clearly know by seasons end who we should keep and who we should expose.

1. Greene
2. Severson
Spot # 3 up for grabs between Lovejoy, Moore, Merrill.

1. Schneider

I expect that Blandisi and Boucher will earn the 6 and 7 spots, leaving DSP and Bennett exposed.
I expect Lovejoy to beat out Moore and Merrill.

Since Blandisi, Severson, and Bennett (and maybe Boucher if he signs a 1 year deal) aren't under contract for the 2017-18 season, doesn't that mean we don't have to protect/expose them?
I'm not sure how this works. Can someone explain that to me? Because if so, then we can protect the top 5 forwards listed above, and DSP, and Boucher (if he signs more than a 1 year deal). And we can protect Greene Lovejoy and One of Moore/Merrill, and expose the other.

So my question is, how does it work with Blandisi, Severson, Josefson, Kalinin, Bennett, and potentially Boucher, who's contracts all expire at the end of this season but are all still RFAs??????

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It seems pretty simple to me right now.

1. Hall
2. Henrique
3. Palmieri
4. Zajac
5. Cammalleri
6 & 7 are spots to be earned by the best two of:
Boucher, Blandisi, DSP, Bennett

Hopefully we will clearly know by seasons end who we should keep and who we should expose.

1. Greene
2. Severson
Spot # 3 up for grabs between Lovejoy, Moore, Merrill.

1. Schneider

I expect that Blandisi and Boucher will earn the 6 and 7 spots, leaving DSP and Bennett exposed.
I expect Lovejoy to beat out Moore and Merrill.

Since Blandisi, Severson, and Bennett (and maybe Boucher if he signs a 1 year deal) aren't under contract for the 2017-18 season, doesn't that mean we don't have to protect/expose them?
I'm not sure how this works. Can someone explain that to me? Because if so, then we can protect the top 5 forwards listed above, and DSP, and Boucher (if he signs more than a 1 year deal). And we can protect Greene Lovejoy and One of Moore/Merrill, and expose the other.

So my question is, how does it work with Blandisi, Severson, Josefson, Kalinin, Bennett, and potentially Boucher, who's contracts all expire at the end of this season but are all still RFAs??????

I agree with your list of players we will likely protect. MAYBE if Cammalleri has an injury-plagued season do they consider exposing him, but it’s unlikely.

As for the RFA’s, if we don’t protect them Las Vegas can select those player and they will retain their rights…they can then negotiate with them as RFA’s just like any other team would. There’s no loophole there just because a player’s contract is almost up – that would only be for guys approaching unrestricted free agency. For guys approaching UFA, a team could have a handshake agreement that they will resign the player between the expansion draft and beginning of free agency. A perfect example would be Nick Bonino in Pittsburgh – they have enough other guys (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Hagelin) that they need to worry about protecting for the expansion draft, that it would be a huge relief for them to be able to protect another young forward in the expansion draft and not Bonino. It’s a risk for the player (and to a lesser extent the team) to try to go this route though. Devils don’t really have anyone in this situation except maybe Kinkaid or Fiddler. Also, Kalinin is only a 2nd year pro this season, so he is exempt.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
DSP has proven more than Blandisi right now. He isn't some scrub who's automatically going to slot in the bottom-six. He's a guy who can crash the net and score some goals.

If you "normalize" his shooting % to 10.5% last year overall and take the 1.8 shots per game he was taking in NJ, you have a guy who is scoring 14-15 goals. We're going to be lucky if Blandisi reaches that mark in a season.

Also, DSP scored 12 points in 46 MTL games which might not sound great but that's with 1:13 less TOI than Gionta got here in New Jersey. And 0:30 less than Rutuu. When he gets top 6 minutes he produces. Bottom line. I simply can't argue with those facts. He's not the sexiest producer in the world but who cares, goals are goals and points are points.

DSP was playing 'top-six' - i.e. with some of the best offensive players and also being on the PP, from the moment he arrived in New Jersey. A player who scores 14-15 goals with that kind of ice time who doesn't do much else isn't a very good player.

Blandisi is not going to be a goal scorer but he clearly does a lot of other stuff well. If he can handle penalty killing, he'll be a constant threat shorthanded. He sees the ice well and anticipates the play, something which not a lot of Devils forwards do. He also has the possibility of being an ace penalty drawer, something the Devils need more of.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Hall, Rico and Palm's are your locks.

After that I think it depends a lot upon what happens this season.

If Camm misses 40 games again, I think he is a lock to be left exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad