Post-Game Talk: Devils 2 Rangers 1 [9/16/2013]

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Richards has kind of been like that his entire career though. He seems kind of unimpressive until he puts up a bunch of points. The most outwardly impressive thing about him is really his shot

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
There was some good and bad from Richards, he looks more engaged but his conditioning is still off. I'm assuming expectations were very low for him which explains why there is such effusive praise for him after this game. I don't think Richards was our best player; that distinction goes to John Moore, his skating was impressive.

Kristo looks promising but he could use some seasoning in Hartford. Kreider was inconsistent, I felt he could have battled harder for the puck prior to the Devils 1st goal. Falk made me long for Eminger. Staal looks like his old self.

I wasn't in love with Kreider-Richards-Nash, but there aren't many options without Stepan, Cally, or Hags. That line has the potential to be a defensive liability so they will have to spend more time in the offensive zone.

and 99 others

la la la la la la la... a little bit alexis
Jul 27, 2011
Looks like I'm the only one here who thought Bourque actually looked pretty good. He's not going to (and shouldn't) make it now, but by the way his play was described last season, I was pleasantly surprised.

Still needs a lot of improvement on his skating. Even my mom pointed out "#26 looks awkward out there."

I have a cool mom.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
I was overly impressed with J Moore, at times I legitimate confused him with McD the way he played. Hope he can keep that up.

Staal and D Moore were probably the only other two roster players I thought were solid.

Nash looked rather sloppy early on the game (granted he performed better), and Richards basically looked like Richards of last year (not good).

Kreider was a complete meh to me, there's no reason why he's invisible on the ice 3/4 shifts. I think he's better fit to play with Brassard/MZA, but still, he needs to be more engaged.

MDZ did nothing to impress me as well, same old.

As for players on the bubble, Hrivik looked like he could belong on the bottom 6 if he improves, solid board play but nothing spectacular.

Kristo showed glimpses of his upside but I think he's better suited getting a ton of minutes in hartford than struggling to find a spot in NY. Looked tentative at times but as expected.

Bickel is garbage, and I'd prefer to not even have him on the roster.

Was not impressed at all with Falk. Has some skills, but was out of position a few times and seemed to be absolutely worn down after 45 seconds of a shift. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to show more.

Asham/Powe/Mashinter - Asham was the better of the three, but boy are these guys useless in the new NHL. No reason why they should touch this roster unless there are significant injuries or Asham/Mash needs to play against a goon lineup.

Talbot has clearly improved, will give whoever the Rangers bring in next year as a backup a run for their money.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There was some good and bad from Richards, he looks more engaged but his conditioning is still off. I'm assuming expectations were very low for him which explains why there is such effusive praise for him after this game. I don't think Richards was our best player; that distinction goes to John Moore, his skating was impressive.

Kristo looks promising but he could use some seasoning in Hartford. Kreider was inconsistent, I felt he could have battled harder for the puck prior to the Devils 1st goal. Falk made me long for Eminger. Staal looks like his old self.

I wasn't in love with Kreider-Richards-Nash, but there aren't many options without Stepan, Cally, or Hags. That line has the potential to be a defensive liability so they will have to spend more time in the offensive zone.

So far as a Ranger, Nash has looked like a guy that doesnt trust his linemates very much.

Lingering bad habits from a decade with a terrible Columbus team?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
So far as a Ranger, Nash has looked like a guy that doesnt trust his linemates very much.

I don't know if lack of trust is the issue. It seems to me like neither Richards, nor Nash, want to be leader of the line and keep deferring to each other.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't know if lack of trust is the issue. It seems to me like neither Richards, nor Nash, want to be leader of the line and keep deferring to each other.

That brings up a good point - who is going to be the leader on offense?

Richards was a crackpot last season

Nash seems perfectly content NOT being a leader

Stepan is currently talking more about $ figures than hockey

These 3 are the only guys that have the offensive talent to possibly be leaders, and they all seem to be damaged goods.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

he wants the puck on his stick, that's his game. you gotta live with the bad, not everyone is like Crosby that can pass and score at an elite level.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That brings up a good point - who is going to be the leader on offense?

Richards was a crackpot last season

Nash seems perfectly content NOT being a leader

Stepan is currently talking more about $ figures than hockey

These 3 are the only guys that have the offensive talent to possibly be leaders, and they all seem to be damaged goods.

id be very interested to see a line of Richards, Brassard, and Callahan.....

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I never thought Richards and Nash looked good together. I'd play Richards with Zucc and Kreider. Let Zucc do the skating with the puck. Let Richards try to find Kreider on the left.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

To be honest, I barely noticed Nash until the 3rd period, but he does get too carried away in trying to deke out defenders sometimes.

That line just looked like it lacked chemistry to be considered a top line. I'm hoping/assuming that Stepan would have been centering that line had he been in camp. Kreider is not ready for 1st line duties but will probably be forced into that role due to injuries.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's such a nasty shot from Kreider on that goal and illustrates what the Rangers need to get him doing in order to be effective. He's gotta get the puck in position to let it fly, if he's going to be a goalscorer at the NHL level then that's going to be how he scores a lot of them, but he can't create those chances for himself terribly well, except maybe on the rush, so finding linemates that can get him the puck and letting him know what his responsibilities are would seem to be key

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
On Staal: he still looked better than 90% of the defensemen in the league (which is great news), but where I think you can really see the difference is when the puck gets in close to his skates. Granted, a lot of players with 20/20 vision have problems with that, but in watching him play and trying to find differences, I think that's where the change in depth perception may kick in a bit.

Hopefully he continues to adjust and can compensate for it as he gets more games under his belt.

Bardof425*

This is the exact opposite, IMO.

Also, since when is Boyle looking expendable? Cally and Hagelin aren't going to start the season, and then we have guys like Powe/Asham/Pyatt. People always find a way to dump on Boyle, it really annoys me. Any team that wants to make a deep playoff run would be thrilled to have a player like Boyle. Huge, excellent defensively, excellent on the PK, steps up in the playoffs, plays the game hard, good leadership ability, oh and he's huge. Even if Lindberg/Fast/whatever rookies stick with the big club, he still has a place on this team on the wing.

He is what he is: a fantastic 4th liner/role player/PK'er; decent 3rd liner when called upon, and can fill in on the PP/T6 when necessary. I just don't understand what people except from him, he does everything he's supposed to do, and he does it very well.

.564 FO% last season for ****'s sake. Only one preseason game, but if people are going to say he might be expendable after it, it's worth mentioning tonight he was .647% on the dot. I've never, ever, seen a Bottom 6 player so relentlessly criticized for no reason. It's not his fault Torts sometimes used him too often, or in the wrong situations; Well, I guess it is his fault in a way, as he's a good player for us, lol.

If he was traded for a draft pick or something, I have no doubt it would take about 1 period before people started *****ing about how we need someone to take face-offs or someone to PK.
#VivaLaBoyle

Dominic Moore will take the big draws. We have plenty of guys to Pk. that said if he is a 4th line winger/center I have no issue with him. If AV makes the same mistake Torts made and tries to use him in offensive situations then we have a problem. Last night Hrivik and Kristo were battling for possession and winning their share, but when the puck found its way to BB attack over except for one play where Boyle shielded the defenseman and forced the puck to the front of the net on the backhand.

He gets grief as you said because coaches tend to misuse him; not his fault. I guess people hope the coaches will read the blog and change their behavior.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Dominic Moore will take the big draws. We have plenty of guys to Pk. that said if he is a 4th line winger/center I have no issue with him. If AV makes the same mistake Torts made and tries to use him in offensive situations then we have a problem. Last night Hrivik and Kristo were battling for possession and winning their share, but when the puck found its way to BB attack over except for one play where Boyle shielded the defenseman and forced the puck to the front of the net on the backhand.

He gets grief as you said because coaches tend to misuse him; not his fault. I guess people hope the coaches will read the blog and change their behavior.

Last night, Boyle was out when the goaltender was pulled. I guess all seasoned NHL coaches are idiots.

By the way, I think Boyle-Moore-Dorsett can be a really good 4th line. In fact, its the only line I think could fully fulfill a role as this team is currently constructed. Plenty of fat to trim thats worse than Boyle, primarily Powe, Asham, and Pyatt.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
On Staal: he still looked better than 90% of the defensemen in the league (which is great news), but where I think you can really see the difference is when the puck gets in close to his skates. Granted, a lot of players with 20/20 vision have problems with that, but in watching him play and trying to find differences, I think that's where the change in depth perception may kick in a bit.

Hopefully he continues to adjust and can compensate for it as he gets more games under his belt.

It was also the first semi legitimate game situation most of them had been in for a while. I saw a lot of guys other than Staal having much bigger issues finding the puck in their skates. In my opinion, it's just about getting back into the speed of game situations and getting your touch back. I think Staal actually looked the most confident I've seen him in a long time and, without getting too worked up over one pre-season game, I feel like we could potentially see Staal break out offensively this year while still being a stud defensively. Expect to see him go to Sochi.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Last night, Boyle was out when the goaltender was pulled. I guess all seasoned NHL coaches are idiots.

By the way, I think Boyle-Moore-Dorsett can be a really good 4th line. In fact, its the only line I think could fully fulfill a role as this team is currently constructed. Plenty of fat to trim thats worse than Boyle, primarily Powe, Asham, and Pyatt.

eh he's not a bad option for screening the goalie during a 6 on 5, as long as he doesn't try to play the puck

Oh come on now - last night, Boyle legitimately WAS the right forward to have out under those circumstances given who was on the bench.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
eh he's not a bad option for screening the goalie during a 6 on 5, as long as he doesn't try to play the puck

He also did a great job, a few times, of winning the puck along the boards or stopping the devils from getting the puck out along the walls.

The Boyle hate on these boards is hyper irrational. He is a 1.7M player who wins faceoffs, has huge size, is great on the PK, blocks a lot of shots, plays fairly physical and is great in the corners and along the boards. He is very lacking in actual offensive skill but has decent instincts and plays well in virtually every other area of the game. That is still a valuable player and at 1.7M he's not hurting ANYONE. Dump Pyatt/Asham for future considerations or stash both in Hartford and you save the same amount. Getting rid of Boyle to "save money" is asinine. Disliking him when he's the exact kind of bottom six role player with size and upside that you want to have on your team is even stupider. Would you rather save 600k and have a guy whose a poor option for the PK, can't win a draw, blocks less than half the shots, is 5 inches shorter and couldn't even be slotted anywhere above the fourth line without being a liability if we wanted to? Boyle is exactly the kind of role player you want on your team. He has utility.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I know alot of you folks are pleased with Hrivk, TBH, didn't notice him much at all.

didn't do anything that made me say, wow, look at that. Good or bad.

just overall un-noticable.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
That's the problem with showing these early preseason games on TV. Too much is made of it. Years ago they only showed a select few and most definitely not the first as those were usually played in some minor league arena. Going by these games when it is the first game of the preseason and half the roster will not even be around in a few days is a waste of time to try and evaluate for the fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad