Post-Game Talk: Devils 2 Rangers 1 [9/16/2013]

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
John Moore was fantastic tonight. Looks like I'm the only one here who thought Bourque actually looked pretty good. He's not going to (and shouldn't) make it now, but by the way his play was described last season, I was pleasantly surprised.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
It matters if your trying to create offense from the blueline. Especially when it comes to one timers. It doesn't have much impact on the defensive side of the puck however...

Wow, it's actually completely opposite dude. One being a lefty will allow the RD (Del Zotto) to take one-timers while the LD (Staal) will have is stick on the boards and be able to make safe passing plays etc.

DEFENSIVELY, playing your natural side is a HUGE help as it's easier to keep forwards to the outside with your stick and playing pucks against the boards is a ton easier as well. Playing your off-side (like Del Zotto will be doing) only makes it harder to play defense.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Wow, it's actually completely opposite dude. One being a lefty will allow the RD (Del Zotto) to take one-timers while the LD (Staal) will have is stick on the boards and be able to make safe passing plays etc.

DEFENSIVELY, playing your natural side is a HUGE help as it's easier to keep forwards to the outside with your stick and playing pucks against the boards is a ton easier as well. Playing your off-side (like Del Zotto will be doing) only makes it harder to play defense.

Yep, pretty amusing to see the opposite argument, actually. Players who play their "off" side do so in order that their stick will be in a better shooting position. They sacrifice the safety of easily playing the puck to the outside in their own end (or more conveniently being able to hold pucks in as they come up the walls in the O-zone) for a shooting advantage. Or their team simply has too many d-men that all shoot on the same side. Either way, as you say, it's the opposite of what the other poster wrote.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It matters if your trying to create offense from the blueline. Especially when it comes to one timers. It doesn't have much impact on the defensive side of the puck however...

This is the exact opposite, IMO.

Also, since when is Boyle looking expendable? Cally and Hagelin aren't going to start the season, and then we have guys like Powe/Asham/Pyatt. People always find a way to dump on Boyle, it really annoys me. Any team that wants to make a deep playoff run would be thrilled to have a player like Boyle. Huge, excellent defensively, excellent on the PK, steps up in the playoffs, plays the game hard, good leadership ability, oh and he's huge. Even if Lindberg/Fast/whatever rookies stick with the big club, he still has a place on this team on the wing.

He is what he is: a fantastic 4th liner/role player/PK'er; decent 3rd liner when called upon, and can fill in on the PP/T6 when necessary. I just don't understand what people except from him, he does everything he's supposed to do, and he does it very well.

.564 FO% last season for ****'s sake. Only one preseason game, but if people are going to say he might be expendable after it, it's worth mentioning tonight he was .647% on the dot. I've never, ever, seen a Bottom 6 player so relentlessly criticized for no reason. It's not his fault Torts sometimes used him too often, or in the wrong situations; Well, I guess it is his fault in a way, as he's a good player for us, lol.

If he was traded for a draft pick or something, I have no doubt it would take about 1 period before people started *****ing about how we need someone to take face-offs or someone to PK.

#VivaLaBoyle

Last edited:

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

You really want DZ taking shots at the net? :naughty: :sarcasm:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
AV said he wasn't planning on implementing his system until AFTER these first two games. That might be part of the reason you don't see much difference. They play tomorrow and have like 6 days without a game and will have trimmed the roster down substantially, much easier to teach the system then.

that seems incredibly smart. this allows AV to 1) see what our players already do well under the stuff they learned from Torts system and 2) see how much they absorbed from training camp so far about break out passing and crashing the net, i.e. how well they learn and adapt. AV can make adjustments and assignments (as well as cuts) based on strengths and weaknesses observed.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012

Here is the issue: With Del Z on the right side, he is the main shooter. However, he isn't a natural shooter. Staal has a heavier shot. so you would want him as the triggerman on his off position. If your trying to set up one timers you want your players on their off wings. To maximize shooting from your points, you want a righty on your left and lefty on the right. You can give and go from the points WAY easier for one timers because you have two shooters ready to go. Defenders can't stack one point when there are two options

Rangers obviously can't do that, which is why I said it was shame. But, its even more problematic with Del Z on the right side because he is a natural playmaker that should be setting up Staal for a shot. But. if they want to shoot one timers they have to shift the points. That gives defenders plenty of time to adjust. This is relevant if the Staal/Del Z pairing is trying to maximize offense from the blueline. It makes a difference.

It doesn't make that much of a difference defensively that both guys are lefties because they are set up better for defensive coverage. A lefty playing the left side is maximizing his defense.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Here is the issue: With Del Z on the right side, he is the main shooter. However, he isn't a natural shooter. Staal has a heavier shot. so you would want him as the triggerman on his off position. If your trying to set up one timers you want your players on their off wings. To maximize shooting from your points, you want a righty on your left and lefty on the right. You can give and go from the points WAY easier for one timers because you have two shooters ready to go. Defenders can't stack one point when there are two options

Rangers obviously can't do that, which is why I said it was shame. But, its even more problematic with Del Z on the right side because he is a natural playmaker that should be setting up Staal for a shot. But. if they want to shoot one timers they have to shift the points. That gives defenders plenty of time to adjust. This is relevant if the Staal/Del Z pairing is trying to maximize offense from the blueline. It makes a difference.

It doesn't make that much of a difference defensively that both guys are lefties because they are set up better for defensive coverage. A lefty playing the left side is maximizing his defense.

In response to your first paragraph, we're talking about even strength here. Maybe on the power-play you would want both a righty and lefty playing on their off wings... but not at even strength where you'll be focusing on defense a lot more. You're going to want at least one guy playing his strong side at even strength.

If you were talking about power-play situations (in which a combo of DZ and Staal would probably never happen) then I misunderstood. But I can't see it ever being smart to have a righty and lefty both playing their off-wings at even strength.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
In response to your first paragraph, we're talking about even strength here. Maybe on the power-play you would want both a righty and lefty playing on their off wings... but not at even strength where you'll be focusing on defense a lot more. You're going to want at least one guy playing his strong side at even strength.

If you were talking about power-play situations (in which a combo of DZ and Staal would probably never happen) then I misunderstood. But I can't see it ever being smart to have a righty and lefty both playing their off-wings at even strength.

With what we got, at even strength: you want DZ playing the left side and Staal on the right. If the pairing is trying to maximize offense. If you trying to maximize D, then you keep the pairing the way it is because Staal is the better defender playing his natural side. The problem is that it cuts into the offense...

Offensively Del Z is going to be way better on the left side, because he is a natural playmaker.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think waiting 2 games to learn the system is a mistake, and im not sure what is to be gained by keeping it away from them, unless AV wants to tailor the system to the players...but I find it tough to believe he can put together a system that quickly...most coaches know what they want to do ahead of time.

I don't think it' going to get fully implemented in training camp, even if he started from day one. Also, he's been talking about the system to his players and all, just not getting into detail practice.

It usually takes awhile for new coaches to get everything going the way they want it, while returning coaches really don't have to go over things as much

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Was hoping to see Chris Kreider grab that clean slate. Nope.

2 big mistakes on the Devils first goal and, perhaps even worse, he served more as a detriment to Richards/Nash on the offensive end.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Aufheben, with you 100%. Don't really get it. I get arguing for a lesser role, which he will have this year. But have no reason why some actually want him traded for a pick.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
Ok here is my take on the game. I was sitting behind rangers bench and have to say asham is one funny guy even during the game.
Moore x2 were both super impressive . John can fly and was a steal Dominic welcome home kid..
Nash owned the puck just never finished
Richards played Hungary good to see
Kreider screwed up on the goal but overall played solid and threw his weight around
Bourque played ok anything more is just rooting for him
Misinter pounded a NHL enforcer good sign. Played ok
Talbot looked solid
Staal and mdz looked sharp and Staal was shooting the puck very well from the point
Faulk and Johnson Sp? Both blah vanilla Hartford types
The kid who wore #70 forgot hs name liked him big kid in your face type hit a lot

On to pa for tonight

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
And I would argue that Del Zotto playing on his off side helps him offensively even if he isn't shooting. Having the puck away from the boards in the middle of the ice makes it way easier to open your body up and gives you more passing options. It's not just beneficial for one timers.

And given that there are way more top RWs than LWs you want Staal on the left side defensively. Not even getting into handedness (that may not be a word) in the d zone, just from a matchup standpoint.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't think it' going to get fully implemented in training camp, even if he started from day one. Also, he's been talking about the system to his players and all, just not getting into detail practice.

It usually takes awhile for new coaches to get everything going the way they want it, while returning coaches really don't have to go over things as much

Good point. It's going to take time to implement and judge. I have never been 100% sold on what a different coach can coax out of this group but I am not gonna say boo about what AV did or didn't do for 40,80 games. Really to be fair should be middle of NEXT season before we will really know. IMO of course.

It's not an overnight thing.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
A loss, WTF!? Fire Torts AV!!! :rant:

Having accumulated a big sleep deficit already I couldn't catch this one. But going by the boxscore/comments:

Nice to see them winning the shots, but they played most of the game down 1-2 goals which makes it less impressive. Most teams outplay their opposition when they are down.

Richards seems to have had a decent game which is nice to hear. A bit worrying that Nash looked lethargic, but that could just be pre-season. If Nash struggles to start the season I really want AV to put him with Hagelin again, they seem to bring the best out of each other. Kredier seems to have been decent, but I'm not sold on that line since there is no one to drive the play. Kreider hasn't been that guy, Richards isn't more than average at it, and while Nash is decent, he is at his best when someone else does it (e.g. Stepan and/or Hagelin last year). Zucc has shown amazing skills in that area in his short time as a Ranger so maybe he is a better option than Kreider on that line.

Good to hear Moore had an impressive game. He has high upside IMO but I think he got too much credit last year, his actual results weren't all that impressive. Hopefully he can take the next step this year.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It was good to see Dominic Moore out there after what happened with his wife. Poor guy has been through so much.

Loved seeing Talbot rock a ghostbusters mask. Any goalie that does that is ok in my book.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
My take:

The team looked like a group that was rusty, and was trying to open up the play on their own while defaulting to the old system quite a bit. Lots of dump-ins mixed with some very poor attempts at skating the puck into the zone. Passing was off, shooting was off, goalie rebound control was mediocre, etc, etc. All things you'd expect from the first preseason game.

In terms of specific players...

Nash held onto the puck way too long. I don't think he and Richards have the natural chemistry that Nash and Stepan do. Needs to be more decisive in driving to the net.

Richards looked alright. Calling him the best player on the ice, to me, is a stretch. He had some good moments, but plenty of boneheaded ones as well. He certainly doesn't seem to have much pace left in the tank, but his conditioning looked better. There was one chance in the 2nd where he was going for a change, but jumped back into the play when Nash pushed back the D and got a shot on goal. He probably wouldn't have had the gas for that last year.

Kreider was up and down. I thought he had some really good shifts, and also some really bad ones. That play where he couldn't bury the iced puck and then wasn't hard enough on Tedenby's stick leading to the first goal was certainly the low-point of the night, but I thought he rebounded well. I think he's a better fit with Brassard because they both have the pace to push back the D.

Hrivik and Kristo looked like kids playing at the highest level they've played. Tentative early, but looked more comfortable later. Hrivik is great along the boards, but Kristo definitely needs open ice to be effective. Liked the creativity from both.

Staal looked great given the circumstances. Maybe a step or two behind where he was last year, but still very, very good. Decisive with the puck and put several good shots on net. What a relief.

Del Zotto was okay. Looked rusty for sure, but made some nice plays. Dished out some solid hits too.

J. Moore was fantastic. I thought he started out trying to force some plays that weren't there, but if he continues his upward development, Del Zotto is going to need to be looking over his shoulder. Tremendous skater, great vision, and a very good shot from the point. Gap control was solid and he looked strong on the puck.

Falk was okay, but his recovery ability is god awful. Once he's out of the play, he's really out of the play. Needs to stop stepping up on odd-man rushes to make open-ice hits.

Talbot looked really impressive. Very square to the shooter, quick reflexes, and battles like a veteran goalie. Hopefully he can solidify himself as the heir to the backup position.

Mashinter looked good in his fight, and he hits like a train, but the dude cannot skate. Choppy stride, terrible edge work, and once he hits a guy behind the net on the forecheck, he's never going to make it back to the defensive zone in time to play D.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'll throw in from the opposition perspective, I thought John Moore was easily the most impressive Ranger. He's got terrific skating and playmaking instincts, you guys definitely did great in the Gaborik trade to nab him and Brassard. Staal played a solid defensive game. I didn't really notice Del Zotto at all.

Richards looked okay, but it was the kind of okay where I'm not sure if he's on the brink of breaking through, or just brushing against a glass ceiling.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Was hoping to see Chris Kreider grab that clean slate. Nope.

2 big mistakes on the Devils first goal and, perhaps even worse, he served more as a detriment to Richards/Nash on the offensive end.

You are correct. He lost the puck along the board and let the offense of player loose. The same player scored. There is something about Kreider that is inconsistent. It seems he doesn't battle enough.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'll throw in from the opposition perspective, I thought John Moore was easily the most impressive Ranger. He's got terrific skating and playmaking instincts, you guys definitely did great in the Gaborik trade to nab him and Brassard. Staal played a solid defensive game. I didn't really notice Del Zotto at all.

Richards looked okay, but it was the kind of okay where I'm not sure if he's on the brink of breaking through, or just brushing against a glass ceiling.

100% agree on Richards. I was neither super impressed, nor frustrated.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
The thing to keep in mind is. first preseason game and Richards looks 10x better than last year even if it's unimpressive. It can go two ways, he continues to shake the rust off and gets even better, or you have an average/above average Richards.

I think he'll get even better as time goes on, but it was nice to see him not looking totally lost so I take it as a positive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad