Post-Game Talk: Devils 2, Bruins 1 - sudden death (to Boston)!

HF Devils Three Stars

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
One line that I'd be interested in seeing would be Govy - Hughes - Zacha.

Zacha and Govy showed some pretty impressive chemistry in OT when they are on the ice together. They both can read each other really well and its very nice to see from them. Having Hughes between the two might create a really dynamic line. Obviously its with an extremely small sample size of watching the two together but if they wanted to mix it up at some point, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to this setup.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think a Latika - Hughes - Holtz line down the road would be very effective, Latika can play the garbage game in front of the net plus he has great skills.

In fact I'd like to see Latika and Hughes a game without Palms, maybe put Goose with them and see if that wakes him up. On defense they could be problematic but who knows. But if Palms continues to struggle, mix it up.
You can't call him that lol :laugh:

Frozen Lake

Nov 20, 2020
One line that I'd be interested in seeing would be Govy - Hughes - Zacha.

Zacha and Govy showed some pretty impressive chemistry in OT when they are on the ice together. They both can read each other really well and its very nice to see from them. Having Hughes between the two might create a really dynamic line. Obviously its with an extremely small sample size of watching the two together but if they wanted to mix it up at some point, I definitely wouldn't be opposed to this setup.
Id like to keep Zacha at center - if he can be a stud 3rd line center for us I think that serves better purpose than a good 2nd line winger

A 45/50pt 3rd line C spreads out scoring, which is huge in todays NHL

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
People keep saying Hughes needs a talented shooter but I really think he wood do better with a good garbage man.

A trenches guy.
Mercer is going to be a very skilled garbage man . Has decent size , great hockey IQ , and has an awesome motor , never quits

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It feels so good to finally hit on some later round draft picks.
For years it was frustrating seeing other teams find hidden gems for their team while we had none. On top of that , we have had some clunkers with higher draft picks (Josephson Tedendby Matteau spelling ? lol).
I cannot remember the last time we had a later pick turn out to be a very good player ?
It seems like all the top teams have one or two gems like that.
I know it’s only two games in but it is very refreshing to see the team pay the way it has been . Miles better than last year already. We may not make the playoffs but if they play this hard and this style of game , I will be very happy.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Nobody has talked about Kulikov really and i think thats a good thing. Doesn't do anything crazy, better skater than i thought and has made a few crisp passes. Plays with a bit of an edge. I think people are going to underestimate how pesky we can be this year, adding Murray and Kulikov to the backend and Blackwood with the ability to stand on his head makes us a tough game. When Vatanen is back i believe we have 6 NHL defenders which is probably 3 or 4 more than last year.

Im really excited to see this team with Nico and Bratt back, more than i should be...which is worrying honestly.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It also helps balance the defense out so that somebody doesn't have to play their off side in a top 4 role, although we'll have to wait and see how long that lasts. Murray and Kulikov aren't exactly known for their durability.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
It also helps balance the defense out so that somebody doesn't have to play their off side in a top 4 role, although we'll have to wait and see how long that lasts. Murray and Kulikov aren't exactly known for their durability.
One of the biggest issues last year was that every dman minus Sevo was under 6 foot AND a bad skater. Murray and Kulikov immediately bring size and poise back there as well as a willingness to play defense.

Really hoping Murray can stay healthy. Im guessing that Butcher might play the second half of back to backs as a platoon with Murray to keep him fresh.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Why signing Vats and holding onto Butcher makes sense. Gives us extra depth.

I feel like you could do worse then Butcher and Tennyson as extra plugs.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i would agree ... I think butcher should be looked into being traded however at some point if he returns anything....assuminig we have guys coming up at some point

ghughes20

Jul 12, 2013

Depth is key this season. There's going to be COVID cases on the Devils - it's only a matter of time.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
He does the little things Boqvist doesn't, I think Boqvist has more talent than McLoed but McLoed is a scrapper on the ice, always moving and relentless.

I mean goons might not matter much in today's NHL but plumbers still do.
I agree. McLeod looks much better so this year. We could use a another big bull.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
For anyone thinking I’ll ever stop calling him Rango.

TUiy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad