Value of: Devils 1st Round Picks (7, 18, 20)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Wouldn't a second and some adds work just as well?

Nope. Avs don’t need quantity. They need quality. I’d shop Zadorov around if NJ didn’t offer 18th OA (plus Avs 1st). See what the Rangers would offer. And others that need a huge hitter that can skate and gobble up 17 minutes a night.

it NJ doesn’t want him. Let Zadorov drop the hammer on Jack Hughes wearing a Rangers sweater.

Avs could use another upper level prospect like Jarvis or Zary in their farm system.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Wouldn't a second and some adds work just as well?

Our second is next year, so that does deflate the value a bit.

If you flip the firsts...I don't know...maybe you can get the same quality vet for 28 that you would get for pick 18. So maybe you pick up Z by dropping down 10 spots, but then are still able to pick up Dunn from St Louis for #28 if we take a cap dump or something. Or maybe Cernak, or Dylan Strome from Chicago or something?

I dunno, I think it still leaves the door open for an interesting move after the fact. If you could take something like pick 18 and turn it into Zadorov and Strome or Zadorov and Dunn, that's pretty amazing.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I would do the Dumba proposal and look to move Severson for help on the left side of our blueline (Nurse) or a top #6 forward (Nylander).

We need a shakeup on defence and adding two players that aren’t paper tissue soft while removing one of the wort dman on our team in his own zone would be ideal.

That was my thought at first but once PK is gone your right side is lean again. A few hours ago about 20 response back, I posted something i thought would work D wise:

RIGHT
Dumba
Sevs/PK (eventually is gone)
Smitty

LEFT
Dillon in FA
Zadorov trade for isles 2nd next yr (or the 2nd from Dumba trade)
Butcher

These pairings could get a ton of equal time IMO, Smith would be limited of course
Keep Carrick or Mueller for giggles (hopefully Walsh stays an becomes something, Bahl in the wings as well)

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Our second is next year, so that does deflate the value a bit.

If you flip the firsts...I don't know...maybe you can get the same quality vet for 28 that you would get for pick 18. So maybe you pick up Z by dropping down 10 spots, but then are still able to pick up Dunn from St Louis for #28 if we take a cap dump or something. Or maybe Cernak, or Dylan Strome from Chicago or something?

I dunno, I think it still leaves the door open for an interesting move after the fact. If you could take something like pick 18 and turn it into Zadorov and Strome or Zadorov and Dunn, that's pretty amazing.

Dunn was the other guy I was thinking about. I think it was you earlier in the thread who said that Minny send a 2nd (along with Dumba) for the jump from 9 to 7 which has been somewhat standard (along with a prospect going to Minny). As we were saying we have lots coming off the books in next few years. pickup a winger maybe in FA for Jack and Nico and move along. The other way is less appealing and taking on a bunch of bad contracts with sweeteners. Unless those are the less shiny pieces you speak of, I am less inclined! Call Fitz, tell him we got this thing solved for him! ; )

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Nope. Avs don’t need quantity. They need quality. I’d shop Zadorov around if NJ didn’t offer 18th OA (plus Avs 1st). See what the Rangers would offer. And others that need a huge hitter that can skate and gobble up 17 minutes a night.

it NJ doesn’t want him. Let Zadorov drop the hammer on Jack Hughes wearing a Rangers sweater.

Avs could use another upper level prospect like Jarvis or Zary in their farm system.
It sounds nice but Zads value has not been a first even by your fans own account. Rangers have their own problems with cap I don't see them with a guy like Zads, but who knows

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It sounds nice but Zads value has not been a first even by your fans own account. Rangers have their own problems with cap I don't see them with a guy like Zads, but who knows
I said Avs 1st and Zadorov for 18OA. I didn’t say Zadorov for 18OA. Huge difference. A second round pick in 2021 gets you no where in this discussion. Avs trade him to someone else.

some team will want that physical style on their blue line and 3.3mm or the like won’t deter them. Avs also have luxury to take back some salary too.

Reactions: Smitty426

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

If the Rangers are keeping (and paying) DeAngelo then they aren’t likely to trade for a defenseman making +3m unless they find a way dump some dead weight (aka Staal & Smith). With the flat salary cap and a brutal 7.5m salary buyout hit they don’t have much wiggle room and some tough decisions to make.

Reactions: Smitty426

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If the Rangers are keeping (and paying) DeAngelo then they aren’t likely to trade for a defenseman making +3m unless they find a way dump some dead weight (aka Staal & Smith). With the flat salary cap and a brutal 7.5m salary buyout hit they don’t have much wiggle room and some tough decisions to make.

Avs have cap space so that’s not exactly a problem. term might be but not cap space next season.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
For Johnny Gaudreau? I'll do that.

Even if Gaudreau doesnt re-sign with NJ, they can recoup a 1st round pick back (minimum) at trade deadline.
I just think the cap space in conjunction with the picks would be worth it for us and I don't think he'll re sign here. He wants to be in NJ or PHI I think. We also have lots of wingers now.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Gaudreau for 18th and 20th.

Now this is interesting. I had pushed back against JG proposals in the past because they usually included someone like Bratt, and I wasn't about to include a guy i perceived to be a long term solution for the team into a deal where the compensation was not guaranteed to be a long term solution.

But just giving up the first two round picks is much more interesting because even though I don't have interest in acquiring a guy just to flip him later in 18 mos, the general sentiment is that we would have a really good chance of signing him to a deal giving his location preferences, and the absolute worst case scenario, as someone else mentioned, is that we probably flip him for a first + good prospect as a rental.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Now this is interesting. I had pushed back against JG proposals in the past because they usually included someone like Bratt, and I wasn't about to include a guy i perceived to be a long term solution for the team into a deal where the compensation was not guaranteed to be a long term solution.

But just giving up the first two round picks is much more interesting because even though I don't have interest in acquiring a guy just to flip him later in 18 mos, the general sentiment is that we would have a really good chance of signing him to a deal giving his location preferences, and the absolute worst case scenario, as someone else mentioned, is that we probably flip him for a first + good prospect as a rental.
The cap space is the real value for us. If rumors are true and Hall wants to be a Flame then I think we need to move on from Gaudreau with no cap coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad