Value of: Devils 1st Round Picks (7, 18, 20)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the Devils will have three (3) first round picks in the 2020 draft. These picks currently are:

7th overall (their own pick, locked in)
18th overall (ARZ pick, can still change with playoff results)
20th overall (VAN pick, can still change with playoff results)

Curious to see what they could get with one or maybe a package of 2 of these picks. The Devils biggest needs right now are Defense (namely LHD), goal scoring wing, and backup goalie.

One deal that has been bandied about on here is VAN 1st for Vince Dunn from the Blues. That is something I would definitely be interested in and the type of deal I have in mind.

the Devils also have a boatload of cap space so they could take on salary to make deals more attractive as well. What does everyone have to offer?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
the Devils will have three (3) first round picks in the 2020 draft. These picks currently are:

7th overall (their own pick, locked in)
18th overall (ARZ pick, can still change with playoff results)
20th overall (VAN pick, can still change with playoff results)

Curious to see what they could get with one or maybe a package of 2 of these picks. The Devils biggest needs right now are Defense (namely LHD), goal scoring wing, and backup goalie.

One deal that has been bandied about on here is VAN 1st for Vince Dunn from the Blues. That is something I would definitely be interested in and the type of deal I have in mind.

the Devils also have a boatload of cap space so they could take on salary to make deals more attractive as well. What does everyone have to offer?
Seems like this draft there is forward talent equal to Zegras who I would have called the 5th best F last year behind Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach. Between him and Cozens he has more talent but the C position could trump talent for some teams.
Think the forward talent goes 10-12 forwards strong. With only 2 D who would likely go in the 15 lottery picks in Drysdale and Sanderson.

for NJ do so long as they are still getting some rfa years they could move these 2 extra picks especially if they are targeting a good young player plus a cap dump as well. Like take on Allen or Bozak from STL as an example.

depends on NJ’s timeline. Young players really start around Zacha who maxes out at a 2C at this point. Nico, Hughes, McLeod as a 2/3C, Smith on D. And Blackwood in net.
so still a ways to go. New GM and coach so does that buy them the time to go slower?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Islanders may need cap room and Leddy might be the best option to trade due to trade value and the fact defense is their deepest position. 20th might be to much but if the Devils trade that pick down a bit I could see a deal of late first/early second for Leddy

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I wonder if something like Detroit 4OA for 7OA + 18/20OA so you could either get Drysdale or a more NHL ready prospect winger.

Reactions: HolyJumpin40

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I wonder if something like Detroit 4OA for 7OA + 18/20OA so you could either get Drysdale or a more NHL ready prospect winger.

Honestly, I hope we don't do that. After the top 3, there is a pretty decent size tier that covers guys 4-10 give or take. So trading a first round pick just to grab someone from within the same tier for a needs based selection would just drive me up the wall. I'd be more interested in trading something like 18 & 20 for 11 and a late second / third or whatever the trade chart says the difference is.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Honestly, I hope we don't do that. After the top 3, there is a pretty decent size tier that covers guys 4-10 give or take. So trading a first round pick just to grab someone from within the same tier for a needs based selection would just drive me up the wall. I'd be more interested in trading something like 18 & 20 for 11 and a late second / third or whatever the trade chart says the difference is.
I hear you, I guess it depends on what the Devil’s board looks like as it might be pretty different than McKenzie’s aggregated list or they might really love someone on that next tier. If Yzerman wanted a full blown scorch earth rebuild I could see Mantha/Bertuzzi being offered for futures/prospects.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Leddy is hard pass for me. I'm not really interested in that unless I'm sending a player back as opposed to a pick. I'd talk about Pulock though.

Dunn is a definite option I'd be into. Any of the carolina guys if they wanted. I'm not opposed to giving up Vancouver's pick for Cernak if it came to it for tampa. I think he'd be a good fit with Smith on a bottom pairing for the time being.

I wouldn't restrict it to just defenders for those picks though. I'd definitely talk to teams about some forwards.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I hear you, I guess it depends on what the Devil’s board looks like as it might be pretty different than McKenzie’s aggregated list or they might really love someone on that next tier. If Yzerman wanted a full blown scorch earth rebuild I could see Mantha/Bertuzzi being offered for futures/prospects.

Yeah, it's a trade that totally makes sense, and in some drafts I'd happily do it and others I wouldn't. This draft is one of the latter. Just a personal thing, I could see them making such a move, but from my own perspective hope that they don't.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Keep the picks and the cap space and get a good player, or two for possibly pennies on the dollar next offseason before the expansion draft.

That way you get young guys for the future and quality players and might be able to compete as soon as the 21-22 season.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
If Rossi is there I’d do it

I would probably trade back, though I'm in the minority with regards to doing that for Rossi. LIS earlier, I just think that there is a razor thin margin between that chunk of prospects; it's theoretically possible I could move down to 9 and still get Raymond or Holtz, which is kind of insane, so I'd just take the "free" second round pick and get another crack at this thing.

But most Devils fans love Rossi and seem to have him slightly higher than some others in this group, so you're probably not going to find many who would want to make that deal.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Jake Bean for one of the later picks?
I think we could do better especially with some cap strapped teams. We do like Dunn from St. Louis and he is a more established nhler

you guys probably have some other defenseman we would ask for

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would you do #20 + NYI 2021 2nd for Burakovsky?

He's on pace for 28 goals and 64 points this season so there's no urgency in moving him, but Avs might be looking at Taylor Hall in UFA which is why Burakovsky might be available.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

He's on pace for 28 goals and 64 points this season so there's no urgency in moving him, but Avs might be looking at Taylor Hall in UFA which is why Burakovsky might be available.
Too rich!

If we are giving up a first and second and not giving any salary back, I would hope we could get a defenseman that a cap strapped team cannot afford or protect in the expansion draft

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

If we were sitting on 3 first round picks and a ton of cap room in a flat cap era, and we paid 100 cents on the dollar for a player coming off a career season for one of the best teams in the league that isn't in cap trouble, I feel like that would be some really, really poor asset management.

That's not to say that he may not keep that up, or be worth it in the end...but I just think that is not fully taking advantage of the assets at your disposal. There's also the contract to consider and I can't answer that part of this. He's an RFA with what, 2 years of control? If I couldn't get him on a longer term deal that's a non starter, but I'm not sure what contract I feel comfortable with for him given what I said in the first paragraph

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Not a chance

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think we could do better especially with some cap strapped teams. We do like Dunn from St. Louis and he is a more established nhler

you guys probably have some other defenseman we would ask for

Gardiner, Skjei or Fleury?

I’d think Skjei would be off the table, given what they just gave up for him, but if they could recoup a 1st in the same draft...who knows? I think Skjei is in the long term plans though. His status in the looming expansion draft might be tenuous if he has a good season next year as the Canes likely won’t spend a protection spot on him with the need to protect Slavin, Pesce and likely Hamilton.

Fleury certainly isn’t worth a 1st and I don’t see him being dealt for lesser pick(s). He should be a cheap re-sign and is showing to be a valuable D these play-ins/offs/whatever you want to call them. He might end up as expansion draft fodder.

Gardiner has some value, and I doubt the Canes would have to attach an asset to him facilitate a trade. However, if he is dealt, it’s likely in a dollar for dollar type deal, underperforming contract for underperforming contract. It’d be great if they could sweeten the pot, within reason, enough to get Francis to take Gardiner on.

Bean doesn’t really have a spot in CAR and I’d prefer them to move him this off-season for a Seattle-exempt prospect or comparable pick if they’re not going to give him a chance with the big club.

I’m purposely not bringing up Slavin/Pesce/Hamilton as I highly doubt any of them will be made in the foreseeable future, with the caveat that Hamilton “might” be dangled if it looks like he may price himself out of CAR.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad