Value of: Devils 1st Round Picks (7, 18, 20)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What's going on with him? Just a change of scenery needed, or is something messing with his game?
had knee issue most of the year and when you have a new coach, that put you in trouble.

Reality is, the Flyers have Provy and Sanheim as LHD who are controlled for longer and Myers as their only young RHD with top 4 upside. Those 3 are getting protected in the ED so that leaves Ghost on the outside.

And Therrien messed with the PP setup taking away the Giroux to Ghost 1 timer option and then went with Provy as the #1PP Dman option.

Personally, I would keep Ghost for another year to keep the best team possible together and then next summer, try and move him before the ED. But I thought I would throw out his same since who knows what Mgt will do.

Honestly, lots of people are fully expecting Ghost to be traded, for a lower return, to then have him bounce back and the trade look awful. If you saw last nights game, you saw what he is capable of.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota's 1st (9th) + Mathew Dumba for New Jersey's 1st (7th) and Vancouver's 1st/Arizona's 1st, which ever is higher.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Keep the picks and the cap space and get a good player, or two for possibly pennies on the dollar next offseason before the expansion draft.

That way you get young guys for the future and quality players and might be able to compete as soon as the 21-22 season.

Exactly this - 7, 18, 20, and tons of cap space... Devils make all 3 picks and should avoid the free-agent market and bolster their roster with trades with cap-strapped teams and fully leverage that - It's not ridiculous to suggest the Devils could make all 3 picks and land Demko, Leddy, Palat, and Killorn by leveraging their cap space.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
That's very interesting!

Probably need something on the Devil's end to even it out. Like a minor prospect or player.

Thinking the move up from 9th to 7th is a 2nd round pick, so Dumba's trade works out to a 1st and a 2nd. That's why I'm thinking a minor prospect or player.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yeah, that trade definitely at least gets me interested

would need to see the board at 7 before pulling the trigger though

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
yeah, that trade definitely at least gets me interested

would need to see the board at 7 before pulling the trigger though
My question becomes, what of PK?
Dumba
Sevs/PK
On the right

Dillon in FA
Zadorov trade for idles 2nd next up
Butcher

Sprinkle in Smitty
Keep Carrick or Mueller for giggles

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Probably need something on the Devil's end to even it out. Like a minor prospect or player.

Thinking the move up from 9th to 7th is a 2nd round pick, so Dumba's trade works out to a 1st and a 2nd. That's why I'm thinking a minor prospect or player.

I could see someone like Case McCarthy, or Vukojevic or Maltsev or something. It's an intriguing offer for sure. Little nervous about the contract walking him to free agency, but my hope is that by year 3 (his final year of the deal) we are good and he'd be willing to re-sign.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
My question becomes, what of PK?
Dumba
Sevs/PK
On the right

Dillon in FA
Zadorov trade for idles 2nd next up
Butcher

Sprinkle in Smitty
Keep Carrick or Mueller for giggles

I don't know that we would do all that on the defensive side, as much as I would love it. You're probably adding about 13 million or so between Dumba (6), Dillon (I'd say probably 4 on a shorter term deal) and Z (3 or so on a bridge rfa contract?). If you figure 10 or so to rfa and some of the guys, that basically caps us out and we haven't done anything offensively (unless we are going to ride with some of the graduating ahlers).

We'd have to make some corresponding moves (trading Butcher, for example).

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't know that we would do all that on the defensive side, as much as I would love it. You're probably adding about 13 million or so between Dumba (6), Dillon (I'd say probably 4 on a shorter term deal) and Z (3 or so on a bridge rfa contract?). If you figure 10 or so to rfa and some of the guys, that basically caps us out and we haven't done anything offensively (unless we are going to ride with some of the graduating ahlers).

We'd have to make some corresponding moves (trading Butcher, for example).
I don't see us doing it all but that would put us where we need to be with defense on this team.
Losing Schneider, Zajac, PK soon enough. Penny punching is good but this team has gotta move the needle soon

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don't see us doing it all but that would put us where we need to be with defense on this team.
Losing Schneider, Zajac, PK soon enough. Penny punching is good but this team has gotta move the needle soon

So you think lock in the defense this year and then after 2022 break the bank on offense? Tackle them one at a time? I don't hate it, honestly. The offense at least has some prospect depth and intriguing guys I'd love to at least give a shot to. Plus a kid like Jack has a chance to grow in the meantime. And frankly, I'm pretty low on the defensive side of our prospect pool. I don't much like Vukojevic, Okhotyuk and I'm not as high on Walsh as some (only my 4th highest d-prospect in our pool) so I'm cool with really bolstering that externally.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Rakell to devils.

Pass for me. His destination should be to a contender. It's not a good fit. He has two years left on a deal that walks him into free agency, and we can't work out an extension at the time of trade, and given his extension starts at 29, I'm not sure I'd want a piece of that anyway (though I can't say for certain because I Have no idea what the contract will look like...but it's a non starter at more than 3-4 years, which seems like a pipedream for him to take). I Have no desire to trade a first for him just to flip him as a rental the following year.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
So you think lock in the defense this year and then after 2022 break the bank on offense? Tackle them one at a time? I don't hate it, honestly. The offense at least has some prospect depth and intriguing guys I'd love to at least give a shot to. Plus a kid like Jack has a chance to grow in the meantime. And frankly, I'm pretty low on the defensive side of our prospect pool. I don't much like Vukojevic, Okhotyuk and I'm not as high on Walsh as some (only my 4th highest d-prospect in our pool) so I'm cool with really bolstering that externally.
Yeah pretty much this. The D is not good as it currently sits. We need wingers for 13 and 86. I think the F depth is probably decent enough.
Its great having these picks but they gotta them grow them. We have been stuck here for a while.
Dumba gives you a bit of everything
Snarl. Lots of minutes, good skater, some offense.
When NY fans were suggesting that trouba be moved by the bonus and NTC i thought about it. But Dumba is a better answer

Reactions: Forge

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Would any combo of the Devils picks plus a bargain contract like Severson be enough to get 1st overall , with a cap dump or two attached to 1st overall?
7th
18th
Severson

for
1st overall
Cap dump

That’s assuming a team that is in cap hell wins the 1st overall.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I would do the Dumba proposal and look to move Severson for help on the left side of our blueline (Nurse) or a top #6 forward (Nylander).

We need a shakeup on defence and adding two players that aren’t paper tissue soft while removing one of the wort dman on our team in his own zone would be ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad