Developmental Camp

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I don't think Hextall has given up a significant asset (i.e. draft picks or young players) in two years, if he trades L Schenn that will be the first. Coburn, Kimmo, McGinn, Grossman, Hartnell, none had any role for 2017-18.

I expect a couple more defensemen to be moved, garnering more assets.
As far as Vinnie and Umberger, I think Hextall's attitude is he'd rather eat as much of their salaries now rather than buy them out to add a veteran in FA but have a bigger future cap overhang.

I would consider Coburn an asset, IMO. But he's an asset we all knew had to be traded for the build.

So if that's what you mean, I'm on board I suppose.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think many would agree with you, but I guess it depends how you define significant asset.

I like Schenn. I think he's improving and could have a future with the team. But it's unlikely, and I'd drop him in a second for a 3rd round or higher pick.

Depends on how Hakstol sees him, I could see him pairing with Sanheim or Ghost as the physical, stay at home D-man.

One thing that might keep him around is they have too many LDs, at some point they may trade for balance.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
When I read this it reminded me of Chris Therien. He was a long time Flyer and never really had a standout trait, like you mentioned about Hagg, but he did his job well when paired with a better D-man.

That's actually not that bad of a comparison. Hagg isn't as big, and I think he's a better puckhandler than Therien, but there are some similarities.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Depends on how Hakstol sees him, I could see him pairing with Sanheim or Ghost as the physical, stay at home D-man.

One thing that might keep him around is they have too many LDs, at some point they may trade for balance.
You'd have to commit to a multi year deal. Can't see it happening.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I think Grossmann was our Therien. I never liked Therien, it seemed like every other game he had pucks going im off of him. If they kept stats of self inflicted goals, i think Therien would be our franchise leader

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't agree. Hagg is smaller, better skater, better offensively, and is Swedish. I was thinking more Kevin Klein of the Rangers. Hopefully as good.

It's not as bad a comparison as you might think at first glance. As I said, there are "some similarities."

It has to do more with playing style. Obviously Therien was huge, so Hagg, even though he has decent size, is smaller. And also, as I said, I think Hagg is the better puckhandler and more of an offensive threat.

But, they both have a bit of a lackadaisical-appearing style. Therien was actually a pretty good skater when he was younger and had a little more skill than he gets credit for. Both generally play a very sound defensive game, with occasional lapses. Both can step up their games at times that leaves you thinking there could me more there. It's not a perfect comparison, but a better one than I think many would believe at first glance.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Hagg is our Ryan Suter.

Hagg = Suter
Morin = Pronger
Gostisbehere = Keith
Sanheim = Doughty
Provorov = Lidstrom
Friedman is Bobby Orr until we see more of him

:win::win::win:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
If you are right sobrien yes the cups will be a flowing to broadstreet and your above post will go down as the best all time post on hf, flyers board.even if some of those guys hit that mark and some do not, we should be expecting cups.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
That's actually not that bad of a comparison. Hagg isn't as big, and I think he's a better puckhandler than Therien, but there are some similarities.

I don't agree. Hagg is smaller, better skater, better offensively, and is Swedish. I was thinking more Kevin Klein of the Rangers. Hopefully as good.

It's not as bad a comparison as you might think at first glance. As I said, there are "some similarities."

It has to do more with playing style. Obviously Therien was huge, so Hagg, even though he has decent size, is smaller. And also, as I said, I think Hagg is the better puckhandler and more of an offensive threat.

But, they both have a bit of a lackadaisical-appearing style. Therien was actually a pretty good skater when he was younger and had a little more skill than he gets credit for. Both generally play a very sound defensive game, with occasional lapses. Both can step up their games at times that leaves you thinking there could me more there. It's not a perfect comparison, but a better one than I think many would believe at first glance.

I was looking back into the early 2000's wondering who Hagg might compare to since those were the Flyers I really loved. I was younger so I looked up to these guys as men, instead of now as boys. No love lost, rather just a different feel for me as I grew up. I remember Therian being a guy I never had a problem with. In his later years I remember him slipping off, but I just always liked the guy and felt he was reliable.

In regards to Hagg's game being more offensive and him being a little smaller, and sticking to the Flyers of that generation, what about Kim Johnson when he was playing well? Wasn't he a decent defender in the back end, but also a bit more offensive, while not being a huge guy?

How would that work as a comparison?

Side note: Just looked him up. http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8460770 He played so well for us. 1/2 ppg average. Looks like he really trailed off when he left the Flyers and went to MIN.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I was looking back into the early 2000's wondering who Hagg might compare to since those were the Flyers I really loved. I was younger so I looked up to these guys as men, instead of now as boys. No love lost, rather just a different feel for me as I grew up. I remember Therian being a guy I never had a problem with. In his later years I remember him slipping off, but I just always liked the guy and felt he was reliable.

In regards to Hagg's game being more offensive and him being a little smaller, and sticking to the Flyers of that generation, what about Kim Johnson when he was playing well? Wasn't he a decent defender in the back end, but also a bit more offensive, while not being a huge guy?

How would that work as a comparison?

I prefer Doug Crossman - anchored the second pairing with Howe and McCrimmon or Samuelsson but Kim isn't too bad.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
Lol, definitely a bit before my time man. I didn't really get into hockey until 99-00, or 00-01 when I was 20 or 21. Started really watching the Flyers during the playoffs the year Stevens drilled Lindros. Ugh, lol.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't see Hagg being the same offensive player Johnsson was. Johnsson's best years were pre-lockout, so the numbers don't look as impressive, but he was top 20 in D scoring his first 3 years here. He was a #1 defenseman during that time. He was a really good player for us. I think on the high end Hagg could turn out to be a Hjalmarsson-type player. I don't think it's likey, but that's more of his skillset.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Another Kim Johnsson is exactly what I was hoping for when the Flyers drafted Hagg.

Hagg actually had more success at a younger age than Johnsson did in the Swedish Elite League.

Johnsson was a bit of a late bloomer, but boy was he good (and underrated) those first few seasons in Philly. It's a shame he got derailed by injuries.

I think Johnsson probably had a more innate attack mentality than Hagg, and was not nearly as lackadaisical, but I do think it is still possible for Hagg to become a somewhat similar defenseman to Johnsson, even if he is more nonchalant. This season should give a lot more clues as to how much Hagg will apply his skill offensively, or if he is just going to be one of those guys content to not push the pace.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Hagg turns into to be an above average 3/4, or just an overall very consistent reliable 2nd pairing D-man. I'm in for that all day.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Leier: "I'll take Robert Hagg"
Laughton: "Noooo! That's my next pick!"

... also, Ghost forgetting to shake Sammy's hand.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad