Developmental Camp

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Do you see them inviting a Goalie this year?? I don't. Expecting some LWs tho!!

They only invited goalies because they literally needed them to get through camp since Stolarz & Madsen were the only ones in the system/reserve list.

I doubt they invite any players as they wanted to eliminate the competitive nature of these camps. They don't want the kids feeling like there are contracts are on the line thus why they stopped inviting non-reserve list prospects.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Can we promise not to read too much into the glorified pick up skate that is development camp this year?

The only thing that should have any marginal impact on your perception of any prospect this year is Sanheim's updated height and weight. Maybe Gostisbehere's, too.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
They only invited goalies because they literally needed them to get through camp since Stolarz & Madsen were the only ones in the system/reserve list.

I doubt they invite any players as they wanted to eliminate the competitive nature of these camps. They don't want the kids feeling like there are contracts are on the line thus why they stopped inviting non-reserve list prospects.

If thats true I just dont agree.I know in "leaner" times we got Read and hes fared pretty well as well as others. Removing competition creates the situation we had with Richards and Carter. They thought too much of themselves imo. And this is way beyond invites to camp granted, principle the same. WORK YOUR ASS OFF FOR A SPOT REGARDLESS

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Can we promise not to read too much into the glorified pick up skate that is development camp this year?

The only thing that should have any marginal impact on your perception of any prospect this year is Sanheim's updated height and weight. Maybe Gostisbehere's, too.

Gostisbehere's weight and knee health are really the main thing I care about seeing.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If thats true I just dont agree.I know in "leaner" times we got Read and hes fared pretty well as well as others. Removing competition creates the situation we had with Richards and Carter. They thought too much of themselves imo. And this is way beyond invites to camp granted, principle the same. WORK YOUR ASS OFF FOR A SPOT REGARDLESS

It's not my thought process it's management's. They dialed back the whole camp to make it nothing more than some light practice sessions. You're not going to gain much insight from it. They did all this because they felt too many kids were getting injured during them under the old format & it wasn't worth it.

They still invited Louick Marcotte, Nikita Jevpalovs, & Beau Rusk to their main camp last year though.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
It's not my thought process it's management's. They dialed back the whole camp to make it nothing more than some light practice sessions. You're not going to gain much insight from it. They did all this because they felt too many kids were getting injured during them under the old format & it wasn't worth it.

They still invited Louick Marcotte, Nikita Jevpalovs, & Beau Rusk to their main camp last year though.

TBH I thought the entire concept of developmental camps was to look at players they may not have had a good chance to scout that were not drafted, look at late prospects that the team drafted, or just to take an early look at guys ( Trevor Van Riemsdyk comes to mind)

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA

You mean something like this?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Didn't Laughton hurt Ghost with a hit as well? Thank goodness they stopped doing those games.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
TBH I thought the entire concept of developmental camps was to look at players they may not have had a good chance to scout that were not drafted, look at late prospects that the team drafted, or just to take an early look at guys ( Trevor Van Riemsdyk comes to mind)

Nah not really, it's basically just a skating session before the big camp starts where things start to be put more in perspective.

They show these kids a lot other stuff that goes beyond on the ice as well during these things which have value.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Nah not really, it's basically just a skating session before the big camp starts where things start to be put more in perspective.

They show these kids a lot other stuff that goes beyond on the ice as well during these things which have value.

Ok TY food for thought. I just envisioned something different

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well apparently they did in fact extended an invite to Leveille.

Wonder if its a one-off thing or they plan on inviting more kids this year. Think we would have heard some name by now though.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nope. The way they perform at this camp is the way they will play for the rest of their careers. If someone is impressive then they're the best ever and if they don't look amazing they're a bust.

I believe it was Amorosa who was great one camp and that set him up for that contract and winning the calder cup the next year?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder if they'll participate in a rookie tournament this year instead of just having that one game against the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad