Developmental Camp

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
For those that went to camp this past week. besides konecny and provorov. what 2015 draftees stood out?
I am hearing that a lot of players that the flyers passed up on where very good!!
Bracco with our pick at 61,Beauvillier at 28, Mitch Vande Sompel at 82, ryan pilon, parker wotherspoon, vince dunn and those are just a few examples.
do you guys think they had a great draft after the first around? i saw lots of reviews on the internet saying they did good. hopefully these players in the later rounds pan out.. otherwise fire the scouting staff.. all of them!!! i guess only time will tell.

If you can judge a draft 3 weeks post you are a better scout than every NHL pro. Time will tell. Development camp means absolutely nothing.

4thline4life

Jul 12, 2010
If you can judge a draft 3 weeks post you are a better scout than every NHL pro. Time will tell. Development camp means absolutely nothing.
This. I appreciate everyone's opinions based off the camp but this is a glorified open hockey/team bonding experience. Really don't think you can tell anything about a player's future based off of these camps. The high talent guys will be giving it their all in training camp. This was basically just a work out and to get familiar with the organization. I doubt even the coaches take their performance here seriously.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you're a finesse player odds are you're going to look good in that type of environment (no pressure, no strategy, no tight checking, no high intensity, etc.).

I'd imagine Josh Ho-Sang looked like a future all-star in the Isles camp & I honestly doubt that guy ever sticks in the NHL for real long.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I'd imagine Josh Ho-Sang looked like a future all-star in the Isles camp & I honestly doubt that guy ever sticks in the NHL for real long.
Hey there, I'm also not a big fan of his game :5:
This. I appreciate everyone's opinions based off the camp but this is a glorified open hockey/team bonding experience. Really don't think you can tell anything about a player's future based off of these camps. The high talent guys will be giving it their all in training camp. This was basically just a work out and to get familiar with the organization. I doubt even the coaches take their performance here seriously.
Well, I don't know. I kind of agree, but not fully. I mean, it's hard to make good predictions, but I think one thing you do see is if there are certain things that come easy to certain players. Other than that, I agree that just based on that you can't really make future predictions, especially given that a lot of the posters probably don't have the background knowledge (other than being fans) required to know what to look for.

That being said, I'm glad so many have posted their reports here, and it was fun reading them, that's for sure.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
Hey there, I'm also not a big fan of his game :5:
Well, I don't know. I kind of agree, but not fully. I mean, it's hard to make good predictions, but I think one thing you do see is if there are certain things that come easy to certain players. Other than that, I agree that just based on that you can't really make future predictions, especially given that a lot of the posters probably don't have the background knowledge (other than being fans) required to know what to look for.

That being said, I'm glad so many have posted their reports here, and it was fun reading them, that's for sure.

i am glad people posted there reports. they do some evaluation, otherwise why even show up. hell i think hextall had a clipboard in his hand. unless he was ordering from panera bread.

the flyers prospect camp its tough to tell. other camps go much harder then they do! the senators camp had 5v5 full contact scrimmage. trust me they are narrowing players down to who could make an impact right away. i would like to see a tournament like traverse city in philly or voorhees. and also there are people on this page like nki who have vast knowledge of players and their talent. several other forums did post a few sleepers/dark horses.

If you're a finesse player odds are you're going to look good in that type of environment (no pressure, no strategy, no tight checking, no high intensity, etc.).

like i said before i would rather see a scrimmage against another team, i dont want to see anyone get hurt, but that is life and the unpredictability

i disagree he has the skill level to make it and a new found drive to. if he was a flyers pick people would be raving about him. they said the same about mike eruzione at the tryouts for the 80s USA team. hell datsyuk was told he wont ever play in the NHL.

if there coaches don't take it seriously then why even show up? bylsma at sabres camp and babcock at the leafs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
like i said before i would rather see a scrimmage against another team, i dont want to see anyone get hurt, but that is life and the unpredictability

i disagree he has the skill level to make it and a new found drive to. if he was a flyers pick people would be raving about him. they said the same about mike eruzione at the tryouts for the 80s USA team. hell datsyuk was told he wont ever play in the NHL.

They'll probably play a rookie game against Washington to kick off camp.

Not this Flyers fan. He's skilled but it won't get him too far in the NHL unless he seriously changes his game (which probably won't happen as he's too full of himself to admit a flaw). He doesn't play within systems or use his teammates enough to be successful in the NHL. He tries to essentially out-skill his opponents. It works in juniors & might work in the AHL but it won't in the NHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
i am glad people posted there reports. they do some evaluation, otherwise why even show up. hell i think hextall had a clipboard in his hand. unless he was ordering from panera bread.

the flyers prospect camp its tough to tell. other camps go much harder then they do! the senators camp had 5v5 full contact scrimmage. trust me they are narrowing players down to who could make an impact right away. i would like to see a tournament like traverse city in philly or voorhees. and also there are people on this page like nki who have vast knowledge of players and their talent. several other forums did post a few sleepers/dark horses.

if there coaches don't take it seriously then why even show up? bylsma at sabres camp and babcock at the leafs.

Certain players will take it more seriously than others. Certain guys will be trying to use it to get on the radar quicker..like Marti...but for someone like Laughton....not so much.

And that is why it is a development camp. They for sure want to sit down with the kids and go over training and nutrition before not seeing them again for 2 months. They want to put them on the right path. If Konecny was the best player at D camp....but then at rookie camp was say 8th, what are they going to give more credit to? It's obvious.

The a Flyers CHANGED how they ran the camp to avoid injuries going into the summer knowing that summer is an important time to add muscle to growing bodies. I believe I reD that this summer is the first time Couturier has not been dealing with an injury over the summer....let's see if that helps him as well. Point is, nothing really can be gained by running a super competitive camp when nothing is on the line at the end of it.

As for our draft part and comparing it to others who have gotten good reviews....well our 2 1st rounders looked great....then our next 2 picks were goalies....who rarely get hyped after the draft in the summer. Then we are into 4th rounders+ which could go either way.

I'm just excited that we have elite talent on the way on D, solid guys up front, and now a possible pipeline in goal. Next up, find some elite talent at F at the next draft.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
After 2 drafts with hexy, I think our mid range, long term plan is on solid footing, and will continue that trend.
We do not know our draft spot next year, and it's way to early to speculate. But unless something crazy happens, I can see us around 17 to the 20s. That will put us in the sanheim range, and I can see hexy pulling another coup with that pick. A riser, a two way forward, a guy with skill, high hockey iq, and good skater.
The phantoms and flyers are gonna be fun to watch, a hard working team and put up some W's

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
They'll probably play a rookie game against Washington to kick off camp.

Not this Flyers fan. He's skilled but it won't get him too far in the NHL unless he seriously changes his game (which probably won't happen as he's too full of himself to admit a flaw). He doesn't play within systems or use his teammates enough to be successful in the NHL. He tries to essentially out-skill his opponents. It works in juniors & might work in the AHL but it won't in the NHL.

i see it as simple as this. guys like tarasenko, nyqust, seguin, tavares. all have that elite ablilty with there hands whether its making plays or have the skill to create when nothing is there. put it this way nick backstrom has elite play making ability so they put him on a line with ovechkin who is a pure natural goal scorer. the flyers had that when jagr was on the team and they are missing it now. i think it will get better quickly for this team! i love the D prospects and the first round picks this year.

Certain players will take it more seriously than others. Certain guys will be trying to use it to get on the radar quicker..like Marti...but for someone like Laughton....not so much.

i agree, but i have played hockey just as most of you on this board. i play 100% everytime i play whether is a pick up game or league play.

And that is why it is a development camp. They for sure want to sit down with the kids and go over training and nutrition before not seeing them again for 2 months. They want to put them on the right path. If Konecny was the best player at D camp....but then at rookie camp was say 8th, what are they going to give more credit to? It's obvious.

The a Flyers CHANGED how they ran the camp to avoid injuries going into the summer knowing that summer is an important time to add muscle to growing bodies. I believe I reD that this summer is the first time Couturier has not been dealing with an injury over the summer....let's see if that helps him as well. Point is, nothing really can be gained by running a super competitive camp when nothing is on the line at the end of it.

Glad that couts isnt hurt, but he needs to pick up his offensive game this year other wise i would consider moving him and B schenn for prospects or picks.

As for our draft part and comparing it to others who have gotten good reviews....well our 2 1st rounders looked great....then our next 2 picks were goalies....who rarely get hyped after the draft in the summer. Then we are into 4th rounders+ which could go either way.

I'm just excited that we have elite talent on the way on D, solid guys up front, and now a possible pipeline in goal. Next up, find some elite talent at F at the next draft.

Yes i agree! there will be some very good talent for the 2016 draft, the next great draft is 2018. there they will have to hit home runs!!

After 2 drafts with hexy, I think our mid range, long term plan is on solid footing, and will continue that trend.
We do not know our draft spot next year, and it's way to early to speculate. But unless something crazy happens, I can see us around 17 to the 20s. That will put us in the sanheim range, and I can see hexy pulling another coup with that pick. A riser, a two way forward, a guy with skill, high hockey iq, and good skater.
The phantoms and flyers are gonna be fun to watch, a hard working team and put up some W's

Again i agree! not sure where the flyers will pick but it will be tough to get in the playoffs with some of the flyers current Dmen. del zotto i would tried to move him at the draft or on July 1 then resigned him. del zotto and medvedev are improvements but not big difference makers, but hopefully Morin, Ghost, or Hagg, hell manning even could step up. then yes i think a 17-20 pick is most likely.

canada14

Feb 13, 2015
Do you think Hagg will develop to be an oduya/hjalmarsson type player? Not flashy but a makes the smart defensive play. Read a few reports and articles about him recently and they all talk about how relaxed he is, interested to see what you guys think about our 5th d prospect

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
Do you think Hagg will develop to be an oduya/hjalmarsson type player? Not flashy but a makes the smart defensive play. Read a few reports and articles about him recently and they all talk about how relaxed he is, interested to see what you guys think about our 5th d prospect

No, but I think he can be a very quality 5/6 guy. Those two you mentioned are very solid 2-4 guys IMO and if Hagg reaches that status I think we'd all take that in a second

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Hagg is pretty underrated on this board.

He has good size, very good hockey intelligence, is mobile, has above average skill, but his low key playing style aggravates some, and he doesn't have that one standout trait that makes people take notice.

I think he is a lock to be at least a 3rd pairing NHLer, probably by 2016.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I am a big Hagg fan. I think he will be a perfect complimentary piece on a really good d pairing. I feel the more people watch him the more they will appreciate his skills. he really gets the puck to the right spot with ease and doesn't get outworked along the boards often.

My biggest issue has been the net present game. At times he is to cute and doesn't box out enough. I compare it to a "soft nba euro". I hope with veteran help and work ethic that will change. I really hope they at him on top AHL pairing and 18+ min a night

canada14

Feb 13, 2015
I agree with what you all said about Hagg, my perception was that he is a "safe" prospect, in the sense that he will play NHL minutes. I'm not very familiar with him and didn't know what he perceived ceiling is.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Wouldnt be surprised to se Hagg settle in as a solid 3-4 once he gets acclimated to the pro game. He's got all the specs (size, skating, solid if unspectacular with the puck) to be a damn good top 4 once he gets the hang of simplifying his game.

I wish Ho-Sang was on a different team so I could actively root for him to make it... He's exactly the type of player the league needs more of

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I think Hagg is pretty underrated on this board.

He has good size, very good hockey intelligence, is mobile, has above average skill, but his low key playing style aggravates some, and he doesn't have that one standout trait that makes people take notice.

I think he is a lock to be at least a 3rd pairing NHLer, probably by 2016.

When I read this it reminded me of Chris Therien. He was a long time Flyer and never really had a standout trait, like you mentioned about Hagg, but he did his job well when paired with a better D-man.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

I agree with with the midrange and the long term, but in terms of short term there is no congruency. Hexy is trying to do something that all gm's try to do and all but very few lucky ones succeed in doing and that is being competitive now while trying to win in the future. Now i fully believe their is a stark difference between tanking and being realistic, and im not suggesting tanking but the reality is this is not a playoff team and a few moves in either direction can impact our draft position big time. I just wish some of the moves he made this offseason would've been in the other direction.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Wouldnt be surprised to se Hagg settle in as a solid 3-4 once he gets acclimated to the pro game. He's got all the specs (size, skating, solid if unspectacular with the puck) to be a damn good top 4 once he gets the hang of simplifying his game.

I wish Ho-Sang was on a different team so I could actively root for him to make it... He's exactly the type of player the league needs more of

Hägg teases you with some of the things he does. In a late-season game against Hershey, for example, he stickhandled around three defenders to go in alone on the goalie (didn't score). No one expects -- or wants -- him to try that sort of thing too often but there is a lot to his game that could be unlocked if he really pushes himself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Hextall has given up a significant asset (i.e. draft picks or young players) in two years, if he trades L Schenn that will be the first. Coburn, Kimmo, McGinn, Grossman, Hartnell, none had any role for 2017-18.

I expect a couple more defensemen to be moved, garnering more assets.
As far as Vinnie and Umberger, I think Hextall's attitude is he'd rather eat as much of their salaries now rather than buy them out to add a veteran in FA but have a bigger future cap overhang.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I don't think many would agree with you, but I guess it depends how you define significant asset.

I like Schenn. I think he's improving and could have a future with the team. But it's unlikely, and I'd drop him in a second for a 3rd round or higher pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think Hextall has given up a significant asset (i.e. draft picks or young players) in two years, if he trades L Schenn that will be the first. Coburn, Kimmo, McGinn, Grossman, Hartnell, none had any role for 2017-18.

And I think the highest AAV he's given out on a new contract is the $3m for Medvedev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad