Development of Russians in CHL v KHL

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
from another thread

So here is my idea how the contract situation should be handled for Russian juniors.

- Once the kid reaches the age of 14 he has to sign a contract with his current Russian club that expires when he turns 20.

- All the contracts include a clause that if a player is drafted in the first two rounds in the NHL Entry Draft he can sign a contract with the NHL team that drafted him and the contract with his Russian team is terminated.

- Otherwise the contract expires when the player turns 20.

- The Russian club cannot trade the player to another Russian club against the will of the player until he turns 18.

I want russian kids to stay in Russia to fully develop, as you want, but I can not agree with you here. I dont agree with "a clause etc". It is what would hurt KHL, league leadership does not want it. The problem is IIHF rules which allow kids moving to abroad (FIFA and FIBA dont allow it). Another problem is a fact that real market does not work in hockey (I mean like in soccer, basketball). Last but not least, it is too easy to terminate KHL contract by players (Kamenev, Nichushkin).

Last edited by a moderator:

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
I don't think this thread is going to accomplish anything though. People who believe that CHL is good for russians and they all are just talentless busts are not going to believe anything other. People who believe that CHL is bad for russians can't do anything with it either, since russian kids will continue to go overseas. And i don't really think any restrictions are going to fix it, that's also full sovok-mode. I'm just hoping Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin would be enough to prove our youngsters that they should finish their development here at first. And god i'm so afraid for Svechnikov jr.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think this thread is going to accomplish anything though. People who believe that CHL is good for russians and they all are just talentless busts are not going to believe anything other. People who believe that CHL is bad for russians can't do anything with it either, since russian kids will continue to go overseas. And i don't really think any restrictions are going to fix it, that's also full sovok-mode. I'm just hoping Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and Panarin would be enough to prove our youngsters that they should finish their development here at first. And god i'm so afraid for Svechnikov jr.

Agree with you. Btw do you have more details about FHR developing programm for hockey players? It was adopted last week and now is going to Ministry of Sport for approving.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
from another thread

I want russian kids to stay in Russia to fully develop, as you want, but I can not agree with you here. I dont agree with "a clause etc". It is what would hurt KHL, league leadership does not want it. The problem is IIHF rules which allow kids moving to abroad (FIFA and FIBA dont allow it). Another problem is a fact that real market does not work in hockey (I mean like in soccer, basketball). Last but not least, it is too easy to terminate KHL contract by players (Kamenev, Nichushkin).
But you have to make some compromises too. Currently all of these kids dream playing in the NHL, not in the KHL. The KHL is only a secondary option for them.

My suggestion would keep the NHL gates open for the best Russian players when they turn 18, but it would prevent them from leaving before they are drafted. I see this as an ideal situation for both the players and for Russian hockey in general.

The current situation is a farce and the Russians must change it, and fast. Russia cannot afford to lose any more entire age groups of their best players. It has already hurt the KHL and national team too much.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
People who believe that CHL is good for russians and they all are just talentless busts are not going to believe anything other. People who believe that CHL is bad for russians can't do anything with it either, since russian kids will continue to go overseas.
This topic needs serious discussion nonetheless because it is the biggest problem in the Russian hockey right now. Bar none. Hopefully it is discussed in Russia too, and not ignored or treated as something that cannot be changed?

And i don't really think any restrictions are going to fix it, that's also full sovok-mode.
So what is wrong with my suggestions? For me they look both fair and doable.

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
Agree with you. Btw do you have more details about FHR developing programm for hockey players? It was adopted last week and now is going to Ministry of Sport for approving.

idk the only thing i've found while searching Tretiak on sportsru is a short tirade "we need to overtake USA in the hockey development" that basically says "we need more money to build more rinks, give us money".

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
But you have to make some compromises too. Currently all of these kids dream playing in the NHL, not in the KHL. The KHL is only a secondary option for them.

My suggestion would keep the NHL gates open for the best Russian players when they turn 18, but it would prevent them from leaving before they are drafted. I see this as an ideal situation for both the players and for Russian hockey in general.

The current situation is a farce and the Russians must change it, and fast. Russia cannot afford to lose any more entire age groups of their best players. It has already hurt the KHL and national team too much.

I understand your arguments... I would agree with this clause only in case if there is a transfer fee which must be paid by NHL club. I think it is a fair condition....

you wrote
Hopefully it is discussed in Russia too, and not ignored or treated as something that cannot be changed?
As I know it is discussed in FHR. There is nothing in russian hockey media. Why? Because russian hockey writers are NHL lovers (something like fifth column in hockey).

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
- Once the kid reaches the age of 14 he has to sign a contract with his current Russian club that expires when he turns 20.

- All the contracts include a clause that if a player is drafted in the first two rounds in the NHL Entry Draft he can sign a contract with the NHL team that drafted him and the contract with his Russian team is terminated.

- The Russian club cannot trade the player to another Russian club against the will of the player until he turns 18.

I would like to add one more point to the existing ones.

- A player would not have to right to terminate or "buy out" his junior contract the way he can buy out his KHL contract. So once he signs his junior contract at 14 he is bind to it until he turns 20, unless he is drafted in the first two rounds in the NHL Entry Draft.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It seems there was a conference about developing players late November. Experts from all Russia and abroad attended.
http://fhr.ru/main/ofnews/card/?id_4=11391

Russian hockey federation introduced the changes in russian hockey to IIHF in September. To be concrete, reforms of russian hockey includes launching regional training centers for youth players, coaches, refs (IMO something like swedish hockey gymnasium), creating of methodics of training process, educating of youth coaches etc

http://fhr.ru/main/news/card/?id_4=11207

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Burmistrov was drafted BEFORE Kuznetsov and Tarasenko in the same draft!

He went to CHL. Look how great that turned out.

Sure he plays nice NA style game. He battles for the puck, throws nice hits, backchecks.

And if he scores 1 point every 10th game it's a major effing accomplishment.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Burmistrov was drafted BEFORE Kuznetsov and Tarasenko in the same draft!

He went to CHL. Look how great that turned out.

Sure he plays nice NA style game. He battles for the puck, throws nice hits, backchecks.

And if he scores 1 point every 10th game it's a major effing accomplishment.
He went there prior to the draft which helped his draft stock. You realize that's one of the main reasons why they go to the CHL, to get more coverage and be drafted earlier? Not saying it's a good reason to come over, but your argument is flawed.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
These are human beings with individual upbringings, values, experiences, goals and talents. Making any generalization on how the CHL would effect their development based on their nationality is foolish.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
These are human beings with individual upbringings, values, experiences, goals and talents. Making any generalization on how the CHL would effect their development based on their nationality is foolish.
Unless it has a pretty impressive evidence basis, like it does here.
He went there prior to the draft which helped his draft stock. You realize that's one of the main reasons why they go to the CHL, to get more coverage and be drafted earlier? Not saying it's a good reason to come over, but your argument is flawed.
You're exactly right. It's not a good reason to go over, period. A young player won't ever go unnoticed if he's good enough. I understand the NA kids fighting for the highest draft position possible, but Russians? Not so much, especially today with respecting contracts and "Russian factor" officially a dumb move. If anything, not getting drafted very high gives you a chance to play for a better team.

Have we never had a specific topic for this? I think it's time as there's always something 2 discuss.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Seems like this gets discussed at several locations.

I mean it is what it is. I'm obviously rooting for them to succeed but history isn't on their side.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So here is my idea how the contract situation should be handled for Russian juniors.

You want 14 year olds, aka gr9 students, making 6 year commitments to hockey? When I was 14 the hardest decision I had to make was what type of acne cream to buy... And you want kids making decisions on their future/career?

And if they chose the option you don't like (aka don't commit 6 years of their life), then you want to force them to quit hockey or boot them out of the country to keep playing a sport? That's borderline on insanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
A brief synopsis of regular arguments

So, the general points of posters who don't support Russian players' development in the CHL are:

1) A simple fact that since the 2005 NHL draft, only 1 highly thought of Russian player has become a really good player after going the CHL route, and it was Nikita Kucherov who only played there about 50 games as an already drafted 19 year old, so we can effectively turn this number to 0, while there were literally hundreds of Russians trying that way.
There are several more players who have become reliable NHL players (Kulikov, Namestnikov), and it's too early to judge a lot of young guys, but there's only 1 star in 10 years, and it's not really a CHL product. And the only true Russian star ever to come from the CHL was Radulov.

2) Meanwhile, all other "new" NHL stars and even regulars came over as estabilished players. Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Panarin, and even inferior tier players like Nichushkin, Orlov, Voynov, Kulemin, Anisimov, Plotnikov, Kalinin, Medvedev etc. didn't play in the CHL, going either straightly to the NHL or playing their way from the AHL and even ECHL (Khudobin).

3) Another fact is that the players who were regarded as their year's biggest talents don't end up as good as possible. Most typical example is Mikhail Grigorenko, who was expected to become a star playmaker.

4) A higher draft position, which is most player's intention while going to the CHL, doesn't guarantee a successful NHL career (Filatov, Burmistrov), and players should focus on developing their skills instead of going for that mythical draft number.

5) While some players handle the transition well, for a lot of Russians going to NA is a huge culture shock, not even talking about a different playing style. Like Maxim Kazakov, a tiny finesse winger, going to a physical French-speaking team and considering quitting hockey in a month. While playing in Russia means staying with their families, teams and hcokey philosophy. Also, as Vorky has pointed out, not all agents do anything to help the players once they are abroad, and sometimes their relationship just straight up hurt the player:
Vladimir Tkachev, now SKA, played in injured in his CHL season. He did not tell it to his agent because he was afraid of reaction of his chl club.

6) MHL-VHL-KHL system is a good ladder for players on different steps of their developments.

7) Playing against veteran players in the KHL under KHL coaches is much more beneficial for 17-19 year old, even with limited ice time, than tearing up an inferior competition in the juniors.

8) Playing hockey in Russia is generally free for talented kids, so they owe something to Motherland.

Regular counter-arguments from the pro-CHL posters:

1) Most of NHL players are drafted from the NA leagues.

- That's true, but in fact only 7 of 36 Russians to play in the NHL this year were drafted from the CHL, including 0 impact players. So an absolute majority of NHL Russians get drafted from Russia or don't get drafted at all, which doesn't stop them from becoming stars with giant contracts.

2) Most Russian youngsters get brought up by big name club schools and can't make it to KHL fast enough, so they are either stuck in the MHL and VHL or go abroad.

While a player from SKA or Ak Bars isn't very likely to make the big club's roster at 16-17 years, there are several counterpoints here:
- I have a pretty hard time naming a player who was ruined by overstaying in the MHL. There were some who struggled a bit like Gusev, but he's a PPG+ player now.
- there are a lot of low budget teams who would gladly take a talented player and give him a good leading role, which is infinitely better than playing for some WHL team.
- all players who get to the NHL from the CHL route are definitely well known enough to get a serious pro contract offer.
-
statistic says that this KHL season is record one for number of U20 players in KHL teams rosters for last 5 seasons. It is 6,68% of 898 players who has played at least a game in KHL this season. Source

3) Maybe the Russian players just aren't good enough, or hard-working enough...

- True for some guys, but, once again, a lot of examples of extremely promising talents ending up on a much lower level with literally 0 examples of the opposite over the last decade makes me doubt it was just players not being good enough.

4) Everyone does it, why can't the Russians?

- I'd say it's because of the combination of a completely different culture and an entirely different hockey philosophy. Russia differs a lot even from Czechia.

5) Why do the kids still keep going if it's that bad?

- A bad advice from their agents who make money off it;
- It's hard to expect a patient path from a 14-16 year old boy;
- Some of them just have an idealistic image of NA as some hockey haven;

I don't say no Russian player should ever go to the CHL. I just think it's a very rare case when a player has obstacles that don't allow him to dvelop just as well in Russia.

Just my $.02.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
great post Acallabeth!

I want to add to discussion following

I am reading an interview of russian agent Shumi Babaev at championat.ru He said something like that "agents like Gandler sign many players, take them to abroad and do not help/call them when the players need it"

Vladimir Tkachev, now SKA, played in injured in his CHL season. He did not tell it to his agent because he was afraid of reaction of his chl club.

2) Most Russian youngsters get brought up by big name club schoold and can't make it to KHL fast enough, so they are either stuck in the MHL and VHL or go abroad.

statistic says that this KHL season is record one for number of U20 players in KHL teams rosters for last 5 seasons. It is 6,68% of 898 players who has played at least a game in KHL this season. Source

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Me too. The next Fedorov/Malkin turning into next Grigorenko would be too tragic. Someone talk to this kid, seriously?

It won't do anything he will talk to his agent and definitely his brother who will tell him to go. Even though it didn't help him, I'm sure older Svechnikov really likes North America and will have nothing but good things to say. Imo Sokolov is worse for going from Omsk organization to freakin Sudbury, one of if not the worst run organization in the CHL.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Don't forget about Alexey Marchenko. A 7th round pick that has developed into a reliable bottom-pairing defensemen with #3 or #4 potential. He went the KHL route before moving into the AHL and now the NHL.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Don't forget about Alexey Marchenko. A 7th round pick that has developed into a reliable bottom-pairing defensemen with #3 or #4 potential. He went the KHL route before moving into the AHL and now the NHL.
Good catch.

While Nikita Zadorov, with superior talent and physique to Marchenko, rots in the minors.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
In addition to Marchenko, Ziyat Paigin has also probably already surpassed Nikita Zadorov.

It would be funny if it was not so sad. Lesser talented Russians who stay in Russia almost systemically surpass their more talented Russian peers who went to play in the Canadian juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad